Audi vs Elise

Soldato
As you should always be able to brake within the distance you see to be clear. Hence if you go into the back of someone you are always at fault.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm

105: Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should

leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops. The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance (see Typical Stopping Distances diagram below)

Soldato
Its a guy of MLOC that had the accident...nice bloke, shame what happened. he's admitted he was at fault, couldn't stop in time and smacked into the back of the Audi.

He was trapped in the car until the fire fighters arrived to lift the Audi up so he could get out. Amazingly, the Elise still started and they moved it to the side of the road.

Soldato
Its a guy of MLOC that had the accident...nice bloke, shame what happened. he's admitted he was at fault, couldn't stop in time and smacked into the back of the Audi.

He was trapped in the car until the fire fighters arrived to lift the Audi up so he could get out. Amazingly, the Elise still started and they moved it to the side of the road.
You would expect it to with the engine being in the middle. :p

Soldato
Amazingly, the Elise still started and they moved it to the side of the road.

Personally I don't find that very amazing :) The engine is in the rear and all that appears to have been damaged in that photo is the front clam + crash structure, windscreen + surround and of course the front suspension. There will be *a lot* of spare parts from that car. I doubt if anything mechanical at all has broken. I bet the horizontally-mounted radiator isn't even leaking!

Associate
With upgraded disks & pads, the Elise's brakes are superb. No need for them to be servo'ed.

As standard, they hover just above pants.

See I've heard differently from a 111S owners. He's had Lotus fit Fast road pads along with D + S Disks and he's still no happy with the braking performance. Need to bag myself a drive next time I see him, give him my opinion :D

Soldato
I test drove a number of 111's and 111S' in the early summer and they all had crap brakes. You have to put ridiculous amounts of force into the pedal to get a braking force anywhere near "emergency stop" kind of braking force. I'm talking about the type of braking force that will lock your seatbelts and cause random things in the interior to fly to the front very quickly.

Associate
See I've heard differently from a 111S owners. He's had Lotus fit Fast road pads along with D + S Disks and he's still no happy with the braking performance. Need to bag myself a drive next time I see him, give him my opinion :D

I have a Honda S/C'ed S2 111S converted by Maidstones, which has alu-belled disks with Pagid pads, along with braided lines, and the brakes are superb.

The difference between these, and the factory fit items is like night & day.
The standard brakes were crap - and that's being kind!

Soldato
I have a Honda S/C'ed S2 111S converted by Maidstones, which has alu-belled disks with Pagid pads, along with braided lines, and the brakes are superb.

The difference between these, and the factory fit items is like night & day.
The standard brakes were crap - and that's being kind!

Very nice car! Where have you been hiding?

I'd love to have a go in a Honda'd Elise. I used to have a Civic Type-R and I loved the engine and think it would go well in an Elise (mine's the 111R so not too dissimilar but I still think the Honda would be far better, especially when supercharged! :D)

Associate
Very nice car! Where have you been hiding?

Thanks. :)

I don't tend to post on the non dedicated motoring forums - I do post on Pistonheads & Seloc though.

The charged R powered Elise is like nothing I have driven before. I moved from over 6 years of Westfield ownership, to the lise in Feb, and was somewhat underwhelmed after a while, by the outright performance of the 111S, compared to my Westy. Having been in a fortunate enough position, to spend some dosh making it the car it should have been, I havent looked back.

Got it on a limited mileage policy in June, and have run out of miles already.

Back
Top Bottom