1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audigy melted so forced to use the Nforce 4 onboard sound and....

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Psycrow, 13 Jan 2006.

1. Psycrow

Mobster

.....It sounds better. I always thought my audigy 2 was really good soundwise, but after a motherboard problem melting a few of the PCI tracks I am forced to use my Nforce 4s onboard audio and I have to say it sounds far better. Both music and surround sound games sound much fuller. Bit surprising really.

2. Spike_UK

Wise Guy

I also found this out. Also, I've found game performance has improved too, less sound stuttering and glitches.

3. Boogle

Mobster

Hmmm... might have to give this a try :)

4. Phil99

Capodecina

I found that going from an Audigy 2 -> Onboard on my nForce2 as well, though games like BF2 took a hit in both quality and performance.

The X-Fi I upgraded to has both high quality music and gaming abilities though, best of both worlds for me :)

5. smids

Soldato

nForce > Audigy 2 ZS = much improved. I hated the onboard. Tinny in comparison and now I hear sounds that I didn't hear before.

6. Phil99

Capodecina

Is that in Music or Games?

Games with the onboard were pretty awful for me, but music was very good quality.

7. smids

Soldato

Games were awful, really awful with the onboard. The music admittedly hasn't improved much, but it has indeed improved. You are right in your summation - games with onboard are atrocious but music is fine. I play games a lot and got some Logitech Z5500's for Xmas so naturally I wanted a better sound card to use them with and I don't regret it.

8. Jokester

Don

I found going from nForce to an Audigy 2 made a massive difference to music, but I haven't noticed any real difference in games though.

Jokester

9. megatron

Mobster

Are we talking about nforce2 with soundstorm? Since not all nforce2 had soundstorm and it was supposed to be the audigy's equal (nforce1 onboard sound was not soundstorm), I got rid of an audigy1 for soundstorm.

10. Nikolic

Hitman

I have a VIA chipset, and the onboard sound (Realtek) is poor. :p

11. Phil99

Capodecina

I was referring to the non-Soundstorm nForce 2

12. BoomAM

Capodecina

My Audigy1 OEM started going funny on me, so i started using the Onboard (offboard?:p) Abit AudioMax 7.1, and the sound was clearer, but seemed a little 'cold' compared to my old Audigy. Havnt really gotten around to buying a new sound card. Im waiting for the X-Fi's to hit realistic prices.