1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio equipment reviews...

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by Phal, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Phal

Mobster

I always see people saying one thing is better than the other etc

My main problem with reviews is that it they often just come down to someone's opinion rather than cold hard facts.

Are there any reviews which are done in a rational and practical way using eletronic equipment or something similar to measure performance of headphones and speakers etc? I mean surely there must be some way of measuring how well it reproduces sounds and how well it deals with different frequencies etc? :|

2. gurusan

Capodecina

Google headroom and you will be able to compare frequency response graphs of different headphones...etc.

3. Uriel

Sgarrista

A good deal of what you hear via headphones is very difficult to measure. Frequency response is easy to meassure, as is tonal accuracy and distortion. How do you go about measuring something like soundstage though? Comfort is pretty subjective too.

Frequency response tell you something about what the headphones sound signature will be like. Some audiophiles will tell you that neutral (i.e. a flat response across all frequencies) is ideal. A lot of people will prefer something with a bass emphasis. These headphones can still be of great quality - they're just tailored to a preference.

IMO a good audio equipment review should contain both subjective and objective elements. The subjective should be handled by someone who knows what they're listening for though - a 'trained ear' if you will. Just to give an idea of how complex that can be I've copied head-fi's FAQ guide to describing sound when reviewing headphones:

Last edited: 16 Sep 2009
  4. Phal

Mobster

Hmm I get what you mean, theres certain things that would be difficult to measure with equipment.

Maybe these people responsible for reviews need some kind of qualifications so we know their opinions can be trusted lol

5. markop2003

Gangster

I trust word of mouth but don't trust the scores. Use reviews to find gear that is the style that you want and unless there's a direct comparison then ignore anything about how good they are. Ratings are very subjective but things such as "big sound stage" or "weak bass" are pretty trustworthy.
    Then just pick the ones that suit your sonic preferences and fit your price range, if there are multiple items here then either should suit you perfectly well or follow the simple rule of "get the one on sale" or "get which ever you can get cheap used".

6. Phal

Mobster

They should sit down and quantify all of these different sound characteristics so they can be measured easily and quickly! Would make reviews alot easier :)