Auros 2TB NVME noise....

Associate
OP
It was the Thermaltake, however I have replaced this with another AIO Cooler and it's horrendous, sounds like a jet is taking off from my PC every 20 seconds!

Soldato
Well I've just done that and some more testing, I think there's also ball-bearing noise or something. It's not the pump, because at zero RPM on the fans it goes away, as soon as you spin the fans up, its' back. I have no luck.
Yeah pump should be basically silent any way unless at 5000rpm or something then you may hear it a bit
Never seen /tried a gigabyte AIO
Didn't know they did them
Though most of them are made by asetek and coolit I think anyway
Just rebranded

Associate
OP
Wow
Just looked
Over 200 quid for gigabyte 360mm AIO!
Need to read some reviews to see how they justify that
Would need really good components in it
Even then that's expensive

It's very expensive and it is so far, not justifying the price. CPU cooling seems worse than the Thermaltake 360, with idling it is anywhere between 48-50 degrees, when gaming it's going upto 71-72 degrees. But it's the noise, the fans seem to have some kind of bearing noise when spinning and acoustically it's very loud, so loud that it's drowning out the audio when gaming. It looks good in your system, the LED display is nice but it's a gimmick and is it really necessary? I'm looking at alternatives now as I can't keep this with it's less than stellar cooling and the noise levels being so high.

Soldato
It's very expensive and it is so far, not justifying the price. CPU cooling seems worse than the Thermaltake 360, with idling it is anywhere between 48-50 degrees, when gaming it's going upto 71-72 degrees. But it's the noise, the fans seem to have some kind of bearing noise when spinning and acoustically it's very loud, so loud that it's drowning out the audio when gaming. It looks good in your system, the LED display is nice but it's a gimmick and is it really necessary? I'm looking at alternatives now as I can't keep this with it's less than stellar cooling and the noise levels being so high.
Had a quick look
It's an asetek rebadge like most of them
The screen on top of pump and argb fans would put price up obviously
But still aluminium radiator and stuff
Way overpriced in my opinion
Read one review
They said the fans weren't too bad
Do you know what rpm they were at?
As think it said 2700rpm max
That Would sound like a jet engine
Under 1500rpm would be my aim

Associate
OP
Had a quick look
It's an asetek rebadge like most of them
The screen on top of pump and argb fans would put price up obviously
But still aluminium radiator and stuff
Way overpriced in my opinion
Read one review
They said the fans weren't too bad
Do you know what rpm they were at?
As think it said 2700rpm max
That Would sound like a jet engine
Under 1500rpm would be my aim

Well I've tried messing around with the settings, in "quiet" mode it hovers around 1500-1600 RPM but every 10-15 seconds it ramps the fans up to 2000RPM+ which is very annoying. I've tried using a custom fan curve which it seems to ignore and will do the same thing, ramp the fans up and ignore whatever RPM you are telling it to sit at. So as hard as I try, I can't consistently keep the fans under 1500RPM.

It's going back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's way too expensive. I'm looking at replacing it with a Corsair Hydro H150i Pro, I'll lose the bling but I'm not bothered about it now, I would much rather have a quieter AIO that behaves itself!

Soldato
Well I've tried messing around with the settings, in "quiet" mode it hovers around 1500-1600 RPM but every 10-15 seconds it ramps the fans up to 2000RPM+ which is very annoying. I've tried using a custom fan curve which it seems to ignore and will do the same thing, ramp the fans up and ignore whatever RPM you are telling it to sit at. So as hard as I try, I can't consistently keep the fans under 1500RPM.

It's going back and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's way too expensive. I'm looking at replacing it with a Corsair Hydro H150i Pro, I'll lose the bling but I'm not bothered about it now, I would much rather have a quieter AIO that behaves itself!

dont blame you
i like a quiet pc too

Soldato
Are you over clocking the CPU? Are you putting too much volts through if you are over clocking. Maybe bring the bolts down a bit to get better temps

Have you made sure the thermal paste and cpu block sat properly on the cpu? Bad contact can lead to temp spike thus fans and pump go up. But the temps in the software should give u a clue as to why things are ramping up.

If the fans are noisy as opposed to the pump then replace the fans with some quieter ones or limit the fan speed to say 1500rpm. Temps might go up but you maybe able to live with it. I don’t know what AIO these days have in terms of seal on the fan to rads. If fans don’t fit rads properly get a bit of gaffa tape and seal the fan and rad interface to ensure pressure seal and all the air draw is through the rad.

Soldato
Are you over clocking the CPU? Are you putting too much volts through if you are over clocking. Maybe bring the bolts down a bit to get better temps

Have you made sure the thermal paste and cpu block sat properly on the cpu? Bad contact can lead to temp spike thus fans and pump go up. But the temps in the software should give u a clue as to why things are ramping up.

If the fans are noisy as opposed to the pump then replace the fans with some quieter ones or limit the fan speed to say 1500rpm. Temps might go up but you maybe able to live with it. I don’t know what AIO these days have in terms of seal on the fan to rads. If fans don’t fit rads properly get a bit of gaffa tape and seal the fan and rad interface to ensure pressure seal and all the air draw is through the rad.
You seen the price of that AIO?
Replacing the fans shouldn't be required at extra cost
It should cope even if he is overclocking for that money
And its got Argb fans that's one of its selling points~the light show

Soldato
That’s exactly it. They sell you some light show as opposed to nice quiet and decent fan.

maybe there is an issue with the seal around the fan so that air is not being drawn through rad.

Associate
OP

no overclocking all stock clock speeds, tried reseating the pump block after cleaning and re-applying paste. Tried limiting the fan speed but this is where the problem lies, the software (Auros Engine) will not keep the fan speeds at 1500rpm. No matter what fan curves you set or how you to to lock down the fan speed it will ignore it and ramp the fans up and down, every 10-15 seconds. It also rarely keeps the fans at the speed you set anyway.

It's back in it's box and is going back, I've replaced it with a Corsair H150i Pro and it's brilliant in comparison, quiet fans that do what you tell them to do, idle temps and temps under load/stress/gaming are lower, fans are ridiculously quiet in comparison.

Associate
I just wanted to jump in here and say I too have a noisy M.2 SSD.

I'll give you some back story - I'm mostly a PC man but decided to delve into the world of Mac for my work. I grabbed a built-to-order i7 8700B, 512GB SSD, 64GB RAM Mac Mini 2018 from Apple directly. It was fine, got quite hot but whatever, but there was always this high pitched sporadic noise that only got worse during read/writes but was very prominent.

From doing the blackmagic read/write test I determined it must be the SSD, as I've had USB sticks that emit a high-pitched noise during read/writes before, and I can hear my cheapo Kingston SSD making noise during read/writes when it's docked in my USB 3.1 hard drive/ssd dock. I always attributed the high pitched noise purely to the cheapo nature of the drive but I thought maybe these two are connected. The noise drove me nuts so I returned the Mac Mini.

In its place I went to eBay and bought a mint condition 6 core Mac Pro 2013 with 64GB ECC RAM and a 512GB OEM Apple SSD. The noise was there just like with the Mac Mini. I took the internal SSD out and booted from a spare hard drive I had lying around, no noise. Unplugged the external hard drive (leaving the mac to do the blinking ? folder thing) and noise noise.

I bought an OWC 480GB SSD that promises no noise. Nope, there was noise. Returned.

Finally, I went to Amazon, bought a Sintech M.2 Adapter and a Samsung M.2 970 EVO SSD aaaaaaand... noise.

There is a video online proving that M.2s can make noise. People will always tell you its impossible because there are no moving parts but IMO anything with electricity running through it is prone to noise.

I hate that I can hear it, but I work in audio so unfortunately my hearing is super sensitive. I went to a studio that also owned a Mac Pro 2013 trashcan and theirs also made noise during read/writes.

I've had, as mentioned before, USB sticks that have made noise no one else can hear. My only way to verify that I wasn't going crazy was to literally stick my iPhone on top of the Mac and record a voice memo. The noise is certainly more audible in real life than you'd think (most people I know have said "well of course the mic would pick up any noise that close", ignoring that the iPhone microphone isn't very sensitive so there's a reason for my proximity to the source), and being high pitched it makes it very hard to locate - but trust me it's there.

Here's a sample of the noise I had from the Samsung EVO last night whilst just idle on the desktop in MacOS Mojave.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KI9XWrwjVZXaBoEp8K5DmUUAeywTYjfv/view?usp=sharing

Associate
so was the noise coming from your AIO? (the pump or the fans) - or perhaps it is a case fan that's causing the noise?

Associate
no overclocking all stock clock speeds, tried reseating the pump block after cleaning and re-applying paste. Tried limiting the fan speed but this is where the problem lies, the software (Auros Engine) will not keep the fan speeds at 1500rpm. No matter what fan curves you set or how you to to lock down the fan speed it will ignore it and ramp the fans up and down, every 10-15 seconds. It also rarely keeps the fans at the speed you set anyway.

It's back in it's box and is going back, I've replaced it with a Corsair H150i Pro and it's brilliant in comparison, quiet fans that do what you tell them to do, idle temps and temps under load/stress/gaming are lower, fans are ridiculously quiet in comparison.
nice, glad you have it sorted and glad that you have found a quiet and good performing AIO. I would still try and put a fan profile on it though (say 50% from 20 to 60ºC, and then to ramp the fans up to 100% between 60 and 65ºC).

Back
Top Bottom