Auto or manual

Associate
currently i have a 2009 titanium mondeo (manual) been wanting to upgrade.
Was thinking of getting an auto just for the ease of drive.
Looking at 2016/17 ecoboost 246bhp (auto)
Or 2016/17 titanium x 249bhp (manual)
Not sure if bhp is exact. Anyway my question is, are automatics slower cause the gear change?

Soldato
Yep, would never buy a manual again now. I've got a Focus Titanium X 1.0 Ecoboost with a 6-speed torque converter auto (they dropped the PowerShift gearbox because it was so naff) and it's fantastic. Nice and smooth (though I'm sure not as smooth as the ZF8s in BMWs etc, I'm sure), and I've got paddle shifters if I want a bit of manual control while making progress on some country roads.

Soldato
I used to be all about manual but since getting an automatic I don't think I'd ever go back. I've got an old 2007 Golf GTI with the DSG box and even that is really fun to drive, I can imagine these days they are even better!

Looking at hopefully getting a A45 next year and they're all pretty much automatics.

I'll keep the fun gear shifting for my motorbike

Edit: Odd first post. A Computer forum for car advice! (tbh this forum does have all bases covered, i suppose)

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies.
Yh i would have thought modern autos would have improved greatly, but since ive never owned one always good to ask about :).
I think as I age I am getting lazier lol so auto sounds right up my street. Just didnt want to sacrifice power for it, in terms of sluggish gear change.

Also I'm going for petrol, this mondeo is my first diesel and I cant say I'm a fan really, the car I love, just dont like the hassle that comes with dpf, particularly as I dont really do long drives often

Commissario
Once you go auto you'll never go back.
It's true. Over the years, I've always had manuals except for the occasional hire car which came with an automatic box and I hated them but that's probably because when you only drive something for a day, you don't really have a chance to get used to it.

When my Focus died back in 2013 (thirteen years old, 365,000 miles (and the original exhaust)), I needed a car quickly. The only thing I could get my hands on which was nearby and available was a 407 automatic. The car itself was OK although by the time I got rid of it, four years later it was horrible.

I grew to love the auto very quickly. When I replaced the 407, there was no way I was going to get a manual and I ended up with a Mazda 6 automatic. I love it and I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a manual again.

Associate
OP
Seems from the feedback so far auto is the way to go, which is good as thats what I want.

Only really been looking at modeos, as the one i currently have has done me well. I like fords in general.

Soldato
Having an e92 m3 auto, id go back to manual. I don't know if it's an issue with it being dual clutch but I drive in manual mode all the time as in auto it's not in the right gear. I dislike it as you can't block change easily if you're changing up, for example just going on a 60 road so going up to 7th, but then seeing the person in front doing 30 so think I'll change down but the car doesn't want to. Obviously everyone's opinion is different (and I suspect I'm in a minority) but I prefer manual. I'm not saying autos don't do some things better but for personal preference is go manual (even though you have to have clutches changed and the like, as I believe most autos tend to outlast the car.

Caporegime
To add to the echo chamber.

I switched to automatics back in 2016 with the purchase of my S3, I'd now not have a manual for anything other than an out and out track car, and even then I could be persuaded to go semi-automatic or automatic anyway!

Just bought my first "traditional" automatic (rather than dual-clutch), being the ZF 8HP in a 440i convertible.

Soldato
Can only agree with everyone else. My 320D is a manual but I spend a fair bit of time driving my wife’s X3 which is an auto. My next car will definitely be an auto.

Caporegime
But you'll wish you stuck with manuals if the auto box ever goes wrong out of warranty. Especially if its a dual clutch :p
Why will you? I've had a DSG box rebuilt (mechatronic and a new clutch-pack) and the price was comparable to a clutch and dmf replacement in a manual box.

Nothing like good old Nashernonsense™

Soldato
Once you go auto you'll never go back.
Having driven quite a few automatics and owned three of them, while also having to endure driving the wife's cars, I wouldn't ever get an auto unless there was no other option.
I just find there's somthing about them which seems to make people into lazy drivers. Everyone I know who has gone automatic has become a worse driver. It's like the lack of palpable engagement with the clutch pedal also robs them of their mental attentiveness, or something.

Besides, I actually enjoy the physical act of, and modicum of skill required for, changing gears... and while I'm sure all the secret agents involved in high speed escapes down the B337 on their way to Tesco will benefit from it, I don't really drive anywhere fast enough on a daily basis that shaving a quarter second off my gear change is going to make much difference.

Soldato
I have the Powershift dual-clutch in my Mondeo and it's a little bit clunky at times but on the whole it's great, and a revelation for general driving.

I sometimes miss having a manual when I'm on an empty twisty road but most of the time I'm not!

Back
Top Bottom