autoit or vb6?

Soldato
Hi guys

I have been using autoit for a while. I think I should start learn vb as it is widely known language.

I have tried vb6 from microsoft but the software is very basic. When type anything,it doesn't dropdown with option of different commands like you have in autoit which make the job easier

Is there any different software that can make vb scripts easier visually.

Cheers

Soldato
OK, lots of confusion in this post.

First off to get intellisense (where, as you say, different commands appear in a dropdown) you'll need to use an IDE such as visual studio.

Secondly, you mention VB Script. This is completely different to VB.

Finally, VB6 is very, very, VERY outdated (it's last official release was in 1998) and the only MS IDE that supports it is Vidual Studio 6 - which will be near impossible to get hold of, unless you have an MSDN subscription.

I'd suggest trying VB.Net using Visual Studio Express, although it's quite different in syntax and methodology from VB.

What is it you're trying to achieve?

Soldato
OP
Thank for the reply

I knew I got it wrong lol

So what is vb6 and vb script?

I work at local college as an IT technician so we got lot of software.

basically it's just a project I like to make.

A window box pop up and scan the registery to check if the software are there or not, if not then listing down with button to install or upgrade the software automatically.

Each software will have its own script to install automatically, send the command like press button or click next button, change options, filling out the company name and serial key etc. I use autoit for this and it works very well. silent switches doesn't work well as it would install as default.

Would microsoft visual basic 2008 express edition be for this project? I even dont know what language it uses lol what language does autoit uses?

Cheers

Soldato
Each software will have its own script to install automatically, send the command like press button or click next button, change options, filling out the company name and serial key etc. I use autoit for this and it works very well. silent switches doesn't work well as it would install as default.

You can do the above with vb6 or vb.net, but it looks like AutoIT is built for this purpose so perhaps you should stick with it. Best tool for the job and all that.

if you want to learn something for your own personal development try getting an ansi C book.

Back
Top Bottom