Automatic transmission.

Associate
Just a few points on who drives them......

Fat lazy people
Amercans
People who dont appreciate cars and driving
People who just could pass a manual test (maurine)
Anyone whos stupid enough to buy a jag
Old people :D

I hate them so much. A car must have a clutch!!!! Where the fun in not having one anyone agree.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by gambitt
i agree, manual is always more fun to drive... but then there's those people who only want to get from A to B :)
Going from A to B is fine, as long as I can go via the rest of the alphabet at high speed. :D

Autos are for fat men in Granadas.

Associate
Manifest,

I'm neither fat, lazy, american, I do appreciate cars and driving, I did pass my manual test, I didn't buy a Jag and I'm not old.

I've had an automatic Calibra for the past 3 years. Excellent
for driving round town, none of this stop, start, clutch, into
first, second, back down, clutch, first, second, clutch, yadda yadda.

Incidentally, I've just got rid of it for a Honda Accord Type R manual ;)

Associate
OP
but then there's those people who only want to get from A to B :)

Go on a trian, bus, taxi etc. Dont clog the road up :D

Just the other guys turns up reakoning hes all that in his Porsher boxer, (which is a womens car anyway but thats for another thread :D) gets out and stolls with a rich man swagger. I just had to check the guys transmission, automatic!!

Also not that im bothered that much but on some mercs and all new jags u have to pay extra for manual.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Storm
Manifest,

I'm neither fat, lazy, american, I do appreciate cars and driving, I did pass my manual test, I didn't buy a Jag and I'm not old.

Yeh man its a light hearted thread but i actualy enjoy clutching it. Kinda why i drive i enjoy driving so much. Dunno you feel like you actually driving the car if you get me. Feeling the engine rather than driving a big go-cart.

Associate
Originally posted by Manifest
Yeh man its a light hearted thread but i actualy enjoy clutching it. Kinda why i drive i enjoy driving so much. Dunno you feel like you actually driving the car if you get me. Feeling the engine rather than driving a big go-cart.

Sorry Manifest, I was being sarcy, I forgot my smiley :)

It definately is more fun to drive a manual, the car accelerates
faster for one.

Associate
Also people who have cars with huge torque figures, like a lot of american cars - manual boxes fly apart when theyre built for the same amount of money in the likes of say an IROC-Z, oh and theyre easier on the engine too!

Man of Honour
And for stop start driving ala M1, M25 etc etc they are a godsend :D
Nothing like crawling along in traffic without having to think about changing gear, stalling etc etc ;)

Associate
hp is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you can take the wall with you :p

imo autos are for city driving and large 4x4s. I'd appily have an auto if i had to keep driving in london, far too much stop starting especially when you have a BMW weight clutch. I had a shogun for a short period of time, auto on that was lovely, i wouldn't have it as a manual, the size of thing i had to pay more attention to what i was aiming at rather than the gears, plus it's not like a manual box adds a lot of a 4x4, they aren't race cars :p

and the boxster, where do draw tiptronic/f1 paddle shift? ferrari owners seem to rave about the paddle shift, looks and specs are impressive too, especially the HP it can handle.

Man of Honour
i agree, manual is always more fun to drive...

Not always. You drive a manual through very heavy stop start traffic for an hour, then do the same in an auto :)

Plus there is the fact that with an auto you simply need floor it to get the quoted acceleration whenever you want, rather than having to be bloody good at gearchanges to get it on a manual :)

But on the whole, manual > auto.

Soldato

Fat lazy people
Amercans

I hate them so much. A car must have a clutch!!!! Where the fun in not having one anyone agree.

Go find yourself a big old 2.8/2.9 v6 auto granada/sierra or even a proper big tourer like an SVX and then come back and tell us autos are a waste of time.
I feel perhaps, this is MAX Power indoctrination then any actual real world bias.
Am i right?;)

Mabye i am getting old, but the object of my desire at the moment is an Auto SLK 550, i cant imagine how i could possibly be having fun in a car that can spend the WHOLE of going from A-B sideways.

Last edited:
Soldato
I loved my 2.9V6 Granada Auto. 'Twas much fun. I also enjoyed my manual scirocco, but there's nothing like pulling up beside 'Corsa Kev at the traffic lights in something the size of a canal barge and showing him what acceleration is. none of this gear change malarkey.

The most fun car I've ever driven is my mates V6 Cavalier auto, 195bhp as standard and the likkle sports button was scary.

However, when I buy my car, it'll probably be a manual:)

Soldato
interior.jpg

nothing wrong with auto's :) Who needs to change manually every 5 seconds when you could just set it and forget it..?

Associate

Fat lazy people
Amercans

I had a BMW 5 series auto from work as a pool car, it was great, you could put it into sequential mode and change manually, or put in in drive and floor it at the lights :) it went like **** off a stick and was ideal for town driving

Associate
OP
The f1 style gear boxes are stupid. Padles totally suck. The open gate gear box is the best gear thing around.

I did the ferrari course @ thruston and drove a ferrari 355 with six speed manual open gate gear head and it was out of this world.

Yeh autos are better for london and places, that why ill try not to ever drive to london because i love having a clutch.

On the torque matter the Dodge Viper is a v8 8 letre i do believe and they have manaul gearboxes. Is is subsequently ,y favortite car. Anyone got some phat pics.

Cant drag race with auto cause it cheating. The skill is to change gear quick and at the right time.

Ahem

Associate
On the torque matter the Dodge Viper is a v8 8 letre i do believe and they have manaul gearboxes. Is is subsequently ,y favortite car. Anyone got some phat pics.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight *keeps his comments to himself

oh might aswell correct you, the viper is a v10 8.3 litre, they only come with the option of a manual six speed to retain some exclusivety as a driver's car.

Right so paddle shift is stupid, hmmm faster gearchanges, can cope with high HP and very easy to use, oh yes that reeks of sucktitiude :rolleyes: stupid schumacher

umm drag races often use autoas due to the faster gearb changes

Associate
Originally posted by Clarkey
nothing wrong with auto's :) Who needs to change manually every 5 seconds when you could just set it and forget it..?

You aren't even old enough to drive yet? :confused: :rolleyes: :p

So much more potential with a manual, way more fun and you have a *lot* more control over the car (lift-off oversteer etc).

Chiggs

Back
Top Bottom