Automatic transmission.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by flat-6
The days for manual boxes are numbered I reckon. You can get better economy and emissions from them, and they can be made more reliable. New audi multitronic has lower C02 emissions that the manual equivalent.

My old Carlton was an auto and although a bit slow, it was brilliant in town and in traffic jams. Now driving my Golf GTI in similar conditions is a pain in the arse. Then again on traffic free b roads the Carlton was lardy and boring and the GTI is :D

I hope the days aint numbered because and if they are i hope its after i die which is a good 50 years. I would be the person to pay extra on a new jag to get manual. Bad example because i dont like jags but say the porshes and ferraris and stuff like that. I still wanna get a supra because they are so stylish. Still trying to find a manual one at the right price and insurance. Having said that no mater what a young driver like me trying to get insured on a twin turbo supra is gonna be hard.

Don
Come drive my 540i and tell me that Autos are not fun. Has a sequential semi auto and will waste a fair old few of the supposidly "performance" cars off the lights no problems.

I love Autos.
At the end of the day, cars are dull and boring and SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW so an auto is idea for this kind of vehicle (unless of course you have a gutless <3.0l engine). If you want speed and the thrill of driving get a bike.

Car = Slow, comfortable, dry
Bike = Performance, thrill of man and machine in harmony.

Don
Again, If you say so.

There is indeed nothing you can do to stop youself being knocked off by a fool but you are wrong about the protection thing.

I never ride without full armour (back, hips, knees, shoulder, elbows), leathers, proper boots, kevlar lined gloves etc.

I can't count the amount of times I have been knocked off my bike but I have always survived due to my quality gear. Without it I would have been dead a dosen times over. Boils my blood when I see people on bikes with no protective gear.

I have had a few friends and aquantences die on bikes on the roads around North Devon where I grew up. Never put me off though. Just something you do your best to avoid for the thrill of performance in it's purest most unadulterated form.

Oh, yeah. Back on topic:

Autos in cars rule if you drive for a living.

Soldato
Originally posted by iam
The Lexus 400 has an auto-box - and it's brilliant.

So, your argument is flawed :p

exactly, ive driven my dads lexus and my god auto is soooooo much better than manual, it accelerates so fast even i thought it would accelerate slowly at first but boy was in for a suprise :eek: I prefer Auto's over manuals, where i drive there is always damn traffic so its so much easier

Soldato
Originally posted by iam
My old man does matey, it's an absolutely brilliant car :)

I'm gonna take some pics when I go over later :D

Why'd you ask m8?

my dad fancies one, and so do I when it comes to it hehe. But he's a bit frightened by the 4 litre V8 and what its gonna do to his pocket when it comes to fuel.
Dont know what the average gas mileage of one of these is do you?

We've been and looked at a few of these cars and they are simply awesome, ALL the bells and whistles, the most comfortable car ive ever been in and the autobox is very good, far better than the one in the 300z but that doesnt take much ;)

iam

iam

Permabanned
Originally posted by Clarkey
my dad fancies one, and so do I when it comes to it hehe. But he's a bit frightened by the 4 litre V8 and what its gonna do to his pocket when it comes to fuel.
Dont know what the average gas mileage of one of these is do you?

We've been and looked at a few of these cars and they are simply awesome, ALL the bells and whistles, the most comfortable car ive ever been in and the autobox is very good, far better than the one in the 300z but that doesnt take much

The only thing I can say is, the best car I've ever driven :D

Hmm... as for mileage, probably about 30mpg cruising on motorway - don't hold me to that though!

Which model you looking at mate? I mean reg wise, as the shape has changed over the years. My old man's is T Reg, he got an absolute bargain -

Full Leather
Sat Nav (voted THE best sat nav system)
Red Oak Dash (or is it?)
6 Disc CD Player

Basically - THE top of the range model - for just over £20K :D Should have been about £30-35K

Honestly though - as you say, it's the most comfortable drive I've ever had too. And it's almost near silence! Though it still makes the necessary grunt when you stand on it, and still shifts like the preverbial excrement of a shovel ;)

All I can say is, if you can afford one - get one :D

And the people who call it Jap crap (aka YOU stumpy :p) they obviously haven't driven one! /or you've driven some classy cars!

G

iam

do Aston's and Bentley's count as classy?

I make no sectret of my deep ill feeling towards most things from Japans auto industry. But sometimes.......just sometimes I find something from the land of the rising sun I do like.
In this case,i'm looking seriously at getting a corolla T sport as my next run around.

But back on topic now ;)

I'm still looking for a convincing reason why Auto's are a load of carp? :p

also on a side note.......most auto boxes can be stripped and rebuilt faster than their manual counter parts.

Soldato
sorry to go OT but why dont u like japanese cars Stumpy, the lexus is a brilliant car and trust me u will enjoy the ride if u ever sit in one (which im assuming u havent :p )

Associate
OP
Still missing the point a bit guys. Im not denying that autos are slower etc im just pointing out that they are less fun.

Frankly i dont care if say i was racing someone at and organized track and he went past me in an auto. At least im driving my car and not steering a fast go-kart.

Ahem

G

Jazz

I've driven the ls300 and the sc430 for a wee while and I think they are nice cars. Does that mean I have to like them enough to want one?

I don't think so.
I think most of the jap sector cars lack the charm and charisma of the european luxury marques. But thats just me.

TBH i find almost ALL of the current production models a bit on the bland side. The car industry needs a kick up the back side.

Soldato
I like to enjoy the ride when im driving, its not about having fun its about being relaxed for me :D

Stupmy, you have to drive the LS430 its a brilliant car ive never been in the other 2 so i cant say what they are like.

But id take a Maybach over all them *drool* :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You guy sneed to go here and choose a course to go on. Im doing the ferrari one again in when the summer comes. They have a selection of real drivers cars to use. Check out that porshe 911 turbo so much better than the puffy car the porshe.

Back
Top Bottom