Automatically Force Closing of Open Share Sessions?

Soldato
Having a bad day and I've got a pounding headache :(

At work I need to automatically and at a specified time during the night close all open shared sessions on one of our Windows 2000 Server file servers. We've told all the monkeys in the labs they have to log out at the end of the day but they're to thick listen :mad:

Because some people aren't logging out and keeping shared files locked one of our backups is failing.

Is it possible to do an unattended scheduled closing of the sessions before the backup kicks in. I'm sure I used to do something similar but for the life of me can't remember how :confused:

Cheers ;)

Associate
i'm not 100% sure on this, probably best to wait for a few more replies but couldn't you create a simple batch file containing something along the lines of

net session /delete

and put it in your "scheduled tasks"

only problem with that is if for some reason they are still using some of the files, might end up with lost / corrupt data if you just kill the active connection.

$c8t@

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yep just remembered about 5 minutes ago, that was what I used to do.

I know the risks for data corruption but they have been warned over and over again. Lets see how long it takes them to start remembering to log out after a few docs are corrupted!

!Damn this head and the pointless drones I have to work with :mad: :mad:

Permabanned
or set the user account "logon hours" to expire @ 8:00pm. ?

it's possible to detect if any apps are running and remotely shutdown the PC instead, that gives them a few minutes to cancel the shutdown if they are still actually using the PC.

Soldato
OP
bitslice said:
or set the user account "logon hours" to expire @ 8:00pm. ?

it's possible to detect if any apps are running and remotely shutdown the PC instead, that gives them a few minutes to cancel the shutdown if they are still actually using the PC.

Unfortunately as a Health Protection Agency Lab we are guesting on a Host Hospital Trust Network and their policy is against the automatic logout and shutdown of PCs so I'm stumped on that one (It was my first idea :( )

Permabanned
TheMightyTen said:
....and their policy is against the automatic logout and shutdown of PCs

really ?
I kinda thought a lot of places wanted their PC's locked out as soon as the user turned their head.

tbh, I haven't found shutdown tools that reliable so far, I'm still tweaking mine.

Associate
Can you / Should you not be using an Open File agent for the software for just this purpose? CA & Veritas both have this option, I'm sure which ever software you are using will have an option for this. Then it doesn't matter whether or not they have not logged out / closed the files, they will still be backed up.

(Veritas OFA is E180528, CA OFA is BABWBR1150E09, both based on Win systems if that's any help.)

Soldato
OP
We are using Veritas, but it won't work, evan had their technical support on the case and still no joy. We've been banging our heads against a brick wall with this for over a month. In a couple of months the whole thing is being migrated into a SAN so I can wash my hands of it but until then I need the backups to work so I've decided to use a sledgehammer to break a walnut.

Soldato
OP
bitslice said:
really ?
I kinda thought a lot of places wanted their PC's locked out as soon as the user turned their head.

tbh, I haven't found shutdown tools that reliable so far, I'm still tweaking mine.

Thet can't risk shutting down PC's in Medically Critical areas and they are to lazy to get of their overpaid arses to sort out the subnets of the domain properly :mad: :mad: :mad:

Permabanned
I've got a script that remotely selectively kills all/some of the running applications on a PC, I use it when I want certain people out of one of the servers.

that would let you backup the server OK

any use ?

Soldato
OP
bitslice said:
I've got a script that remotely selectively kills all/some of the running applications on a PC, I use it when I want certain people out of one of the servers.

that would let you backup the server OK

any use ?

That would me of great use, If it's emailable my email is in my Trust! Thanks for the offer :D ;)

Associate
hay,

I've got a same kinda issue,

i support retail stores tills and back office pc's. one store has 10 tills and a pc. the pc is running server 2000 and tills run windows 2000 pro. the open sessions keep stacking up on the server ie, the same till has 8 or 9 open sessions and then kicks another till off. this is causing a "backroom off line" message on the tills as it's kicked off the server. (wihch is bad)

I'm trying to think of a way to disable or limit the amount of open sessions a till has to reslove this issue as i'm sick to the back teeth of dailing in every day and clearing them down manualy.

if any one can help i waould very greatfull!!!

cheers guys and gals!!

Associate
bledd,

well i thought the same but i'm still getting errors as tills are disconected. like i said, the only fix i got so far is to dail in remotly and close all sessions and then as the tills t6ake a sale it opens a new session and reconnects.

strange also???!!

Back
Top Bottom