1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avast OR NOD32

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Westyfield2, 29 May 2006.

1. Westyfield2

Capodecina

About to do a clean system install of xp pro x64 (reformat due to messing it up to much) and am considering changing AV.
    Currently using avast & have heard good reports about nod32 (not using much resourses and the like.)

So, is it worth the change?
    How much better is NOD32 than Avast? (I mainly game on my rig)
    TY
    Ed

2. i know nothing

Mobster

I believe that NOD32 runs faster on my rig, I previously used Avast. Neither one have allowed me to become infected.

3. MarcLister

Capodecina

I've used both before. Free Avast v paid for nod32 though. I prefer nod32, it updates silently. So quietly I have to check manually that it has updated. In comparison you get a window popping up when Avast has updated.

The best comparison to make would be to try out out the paid for versions of Avast and nod32 but I haven't done that with Avast.

You can get a trial version of nod32 here. I think the Professional version of Avast has a better updates system, whether it is silent I don't know.

All in all I prefer nod32 over Avast for ease of use, aesthetics, effectiveness and OMG:eek:ItUpdatesSoSilentlyness. ;)

Your best bet would be to try the nod32 trial. nod32 has never interfered with my gaming. I don't game online and I don't know if you do but I doubt nod32 would interfere with that at all. Potentially the update window for Avast could cause a game to halt and switch to the desktop. This would be pretty infuriating.

I'll end my post by saying I heavily regret not getting a 2 or 3 year licence for nod32. It cost me £23 for 1 year, but 2 and 3 year licences cost £35 and £46 respectively (for one PC mind). So had I paid for 2 years I would have saved £11 and £23 for a 3 year licence.:eek: Next time however.:D;)

4. Westyfield2

Capodecina

As I expected, NOD32 gets the thumbs up.
    Good to read from peeps who've actually used both, instead of guessing.
    NOD32 seems pretty cheap too.
    TY
    Ed

5. Scream

Mobster

Well a jump to NOD32 is a major boost but if you want the best in the business then you want Kaspersky which is better than NOD32.

But again, a jump to NOD32 is well worth it but I'd prefer jumping Kaspersky.

6. Indy500

Capodecina

Kasperky caused my system to halt the first time I opened an image file or started a game, however its been fine since then.

7. kbc

Wise Guy

Been reading some reviews on Kaspersky, heard that it actually reduces bandwidth, say like when you're downloading or surfing? Is this true?

8. Indy500

Capodecina

Havent noticed that. :confused:

9. kbc

Wise Guy

I'm deciding on whether to use NOD or Kaspersky, I've got a firewall already - i.e. ZoneAlarm.

Don't want to hijack this thread - but I do like NOD32's notifications... say when you visit a web page - it pops up a red notification saying "something has tried to do ***** and has been terminated".... does Kaspersky do this and stops unauthorised modifications to your system?

10. Indy500

Capodecina

Doesnt do popups like that. But I have another layer of protection from other smaller applications anyway.

11. kbc

Wise Guy

I assume it'll still do the job even if it doesn't do pop-up notifications? :) As long as it's "light" and quick on the boot - I'll be happy.

What other applications do you use?

12. Indy500

Capodecina

Cwshredder
    Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search&Destroy
    Spywareblaster

13. kbc

Wise Guy

OK! I use both Spybot and Ad-Aware too... will download the trial version of Kaspersky and check it out.