Average artists/bands with one AMAZING song

Man of Honour
Sic said:
Edwyn Collins - Never Met a Girl Like You (that might not be the title, but you know what i mean)
Thats one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It annoyed me every time I heard it for 2 years. It was played everywhere and just hearing it used to get me on the verge of attacking someone :o

Even just being reminded of it and having that **** in my head is annoying me.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Gilly said:
Thats one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It annoyed me every time I heard it for 2 years. It was played everywhere and just hearing it used to get me on the verge of attacking someone :o

Even just being reminded of it and having that **** in my head is annoying me.

haha, i used to love that song...i havent heard it for years. i guess i should be grateful for my own sake that you live so far away!!

i'm amassing quite a list of ways to annoy you!! :p

Man of Honour
chrisd said:
Reading this read, you get the impression that most of the songs listed are done so because they're the only song by that artist that the poster has actually heard.

'Susan's House', the best Eels song?

Au contraire; I actually got suckered into buying an Eels album and Susan's House is their only track that does anything for me really.

Now, that's not say that the Eels haven't made a better record - If you buy one album and don't like it, it's not really inducive to going out and buying their entire back-catalouge, is it? It's entirely possible that they have done another song I would prefer, but I certainly haven't heard it.

I think it's easy to jump to the conclusion you have done; for example, someone listed "Semi-charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. Now, that was their most 'famous' track, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that the poster hasn't heard much more from them. Personally, I wouldn't put that song in my top10 from 3EB, but I can respect the opinions of others to accept that maybe they don't like some of the less catchy album tracks.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
ElvisFan said:
Both utter crap.

coming from an Elvis fan, i'm hardly surprised at your utter lack of taste and awareness of subjectivity.

thanks for your input though, i really enjoyed it.

Suspended
Sic said:
coming from an Elvis fan, i'm hardly surprised at your utter lack of taste and awareness of subjectivity.

thanks for your input though, i really enjoyed it.
Ba-zing!

Elvis was awesome though, and I won't hear another word against him. Same with Johnny Cash - he seems to get a lot of prejudice because he was 'country' but he was one of the most incredible songwriters and performers of our time. Who else could cover songs by The Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, Simon & Garfunkel and Beck and make them all sound his own?

Soldato
Sic said:

Lord have mercy!

As I've told numerous others: Don't criticise the music of Elvis until you've heard enough of it to have an opinion that matters. It's obvious that you haven't heard much other than the same old hits from the 50's. Therefore, your opinion matters not.

Do me a favour and watch "ELVIS: That's The Way It Is". It WILL change your mind forever. I'd put money on it.

Soldato
OP
Here are a few more:

The Afters - Beautiful Love

Puddle of mudd - Blurry, rest of their songs are tripe imo

Rob Dougan - Clubbed to death, not a fan of his other stuff

Soldato
OP
jakeke said:
i was really quite taken aback by the first post, being a big bloc party fan.
i may be a little biased but they are far from average and blue light is by no means nearly their best or most catchy song, you just probably heard it on the o.c or something like most people : (
you should give them a proper listen! try listening to this modern love it's great ;p
I take back most of what I said, gave this album another go and a few tracks have really stuck in my head :cool:

Caporegime
FiremanSam said:
ELO - Mr BlueSky

Bah. I bought Out Of The Blue by ELO on the strength of hearing 30 seconds of that song on the Eternal Sunshine trailer, and I was not disappointed. The bulk of the album is utterly brilliant. I bought Discovery recently too, and it's pretty good too. Looking to get some more of their stuff.

Soldato
dark_shadow said:
I take back most of what I said, gave this album another go and a few tracks have really stuck in my head :cool:

a ha ! :D
glad to hear it, admittedly they're not a band that are instantly likeable, but they are great once you get listening to them =D
you should check out - tulips / always new depths / little thoughts as i reckon their older stuff is as good, or better than the new stuff!

by the way i won't quote whoever commented on the libertines as that would require more effort than i can muster, but they are G-R-E-A-T

i just thought of a potential one too, the von blondies - come on come on

Last edited:
Soldato
Sic said:
haha, i used to love that song...i havent heard it for years. i guess i should be grateful for my own sake that you live so far away!!

i'm amassing quite a list of ways to annoy you!! :p

I'd forgotten about that song! Classic! :D

'96 i believe?

That uber cheesy 'guitar solo' in the middle. "dnanananaanaouuuuu -naaooauau-naaiaiiooo"

/air guitar

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry for the impromptu resurrection, but this song came on in the car the other day and it reminded me of this thread:

Eagle-Eye Cherry - Save Tonight

Great tune.

Sol

Sol

Associate
HangTime said:
Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe
3 Colours Red - Nuclear Holiday
Reef - Place your Hands
David Bowie - Heroes
The Eels - Susan's House
The Butterfly Effect - Crave
The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
Catatonia - Road Rage
Everything But the Girl - Missing (unless you count the track which sounds exactly the same)
Haddaway - What is Love
Mariah Carey - Fantasy
Semisonic - Secret Smile
Eternal - Angel of Mine

Basically the mid/late 90s had loads of these sort of groups.

Eels!!! you git!

Pretty much every eels album is excellent (other than shootenanny)...and susan's house is hardly a classic. I was having a good laugh at this thread until that remark :p .

I think to say that it's possible that they may have other good songs nullifies your post...especially after probably listening to 1 album (beautiful freak), probably half heartedly. I'm heavily biased though because Eels are probably my all time fav band, newish fave band would be the Black Keys...don't say a word heh.

Gonna see Eels next month at the Glasgow ABC!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom