Average clutch life ?

Soldato
Hi guys,

So i'm looking at a few used cars locally and have found 2.

The one I am looking at the guy has owned only for a few months and is not sure if the clutch has been changed. He says it feels fine.

The car has 116k miles on it (just looking for a car to last me 5 months or so) so would it be safe to assume the clutch has been done at some point? Surely at 116k it couldn't be on it's first clutch? It's a 2010 Hyundai i20

just to note, a large portion was motoroway miles early in it's life.

Thanks guys,

Mart

Soldato
This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, really. Statistically I would expect the clutch to be knackered on a small hatchback like the i20 sooner than it would in a larger vehicle such as a Mondeo or Passat. The former will more likely to be used for urban stop-start journeys and/or by younger less experienced drivers, and the latter for motorway runs.

If it doesn't show any signs of slipping when driving it then just keep the possibility in your mind that it might want changing in the not too-distant future.

Don
Surely at 116k it couldn't be on it's first clutch? It's a 2010 Hyundai i20
Why couldn't it?

just to note, a large portion was motoroway miles early in it's life.
And that will go a long way to explaining it - assuming nice open long motorway drives, you can rack up large amounts of miles without even touching the clutch.

As opposed to the car for sale with only 40k on the clock, driven by a little old lady who drives it into town, "riding" the clutch (which could be far more likely to need a new clutch)

Soldato
OP
Sound advice mate thanks.

I had read a good check is to stick it in 3rd or 4th, handbrake up and slowly let the clutch up? If it stalls quickish, then it's good to go?

Soldato
OP
Why couldn't it?

And that will go a long way to explaining it - assuming nice open long motorway drives, you can rack up large amounts of miles without even touching the clutch.

As opposed to the car for sale with only 40k on the clock, driven by a little old lady who drives it into town, "riding" the clutch.

Thanks mate, just basing that off stuff have read on the internet but what you say makes sense regarding the motorway miles, despite the miles it may infact be a healthier clutch than the local runs on a car at only 40k.

Soldato
had to change one in my mondeo taxi at 350k
its replacement is now on 280k and on the original clutch
previous vectra cdti mapped to 200 bhp had a clutch and flywheel at 270k

that said i've known cars to need a clutch and flywheel at 50k
depends on how its been driven

Soldato
To give you an indication, I ran a 165k Saab on original clutch, all depends on the driving style like was said and also the type of mileage. Motorway milage is around 1/20th of town driving so it's very important in how things hold up... clutches, engines, engine oil changes etc... how long were the jounryes, takes around 4 mile for oil to heat up and protect engine etc.

You'll generally find motorway milers unless threashed will be in better condition than a town car doing short farty jouneys etc. Imagien how many clutch changes in a town car versus motorway mile muncher?

Soldato
Depends a lot on driver skill & how much torque the engine produces some clutches can easily last a few 100K! I would be more worried about the alternator @ 116K if that packs up you get stranded at the roadside (they are good for 100-150K on average). Might be better to just sign a 6 month contract hire for a newer car saves you the hassle of big repair bills before you sell it on!

Man of Honour
Depends a lot on driver skill & how much torque the engine produces some clutches can easily last a few 100K! I would be more worried about the alternator @ 116K if that packs up you get stranded at the roadside (they are good for 100-150K on average). Might be better to just sign a 6 month contract hire for a newer car saves you the hassle of big repair bills before you sell it on!

Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I'm yet to experience a complete alternator failure even on quite old/high mileage vehicles. Though certain makes and models seem more susceptible to it than others. For some reason bog standard spec hatchbacks like Ford Fiesta, Peugeot 206, etc. seem to be lucky to make 100K if my colleague's experiences are anything to go by.

Soldato
Really does depend on how it’s been driven.
My last van (Citroen dispatch) had to have a new clutch due to the number of times the pedal had been depressed in its life.
The pressure plate had actually worn through. There was still plenty of life in the friction plate.

My Z4, dual mass fly wheel fell to pieces, so that got a clutch too.
Again plenty left on it at 120,000 miles.

Soldato

This all day long. We used to have a customer that ruined a clutch every few months until she was finally talked into an auto. Depends on the usage too, driving around town all day stopping and starting puts a lot more wear on the clutch no matter how well it is driven compared to something sat on the motorway all its life.

I would say on average a clutch would easily last 150k with an average driver. They're definitely capable of doing well in excess of 200k though.

Man of Honour
My last van (Citroen dispatch) had to have a new clutch due to the number of times the pedal had been depressed in its life.

Reminds me - we stopped using Peugeot Boxers because the clutch never seemed to last if you are actually shifting a good amount of load with moderately challenging conditions - I've even seen a brand new one destroyed in 2 days of use.

Soldato
Hope I'm not speaking too soon but I'm yet to experience a complete alternator failure even on quite old/high mileage vehicles. Though certain makes and models seem more susceptible to it than others. For some reason bog standard spec hatchbacks like Ford Fiesta, Peugeot 206, etc. seem to be lucky to make 100K if my colleague's experiences are anything to go by.
its always a sensible consideration though as its a failure which will usually strand you at the roadside!

Soldato
Can vary a lot i think, im sure my mate had a VW Passat TDI that had crazy high milage on the original clutch and he was towing stuff quite often.

when you buy a used car you can ask to have it inspected at a garage if the seller agrees ( at your own cost )

Soldato
The clutch in the missus's car is on its way out @ 109k, I want to get rid and get a newer car but she's in denial, saying there's nothing wrong with it. I don't want us to reach the point where it's slipping and we'll either need to get it fixed quickly or buy another car to stay mobile.

Back
Top Bottom