Awful Asus Rog Laptop Help

Associate
Hey guys,

I bought my girlfriend an Asus Rog Gaming laptop a few months back, and I just can't believe how poor the temperatures are, even sometimes at idle. So I changed the thermal paste on the GPU and it did drop a slight amount, but the CPU already has Liquid Metal installed, but 'the cooling on it is shockingly bad. I looked online and seems a lot of people have issues with these laptops and temps. Tried a load of power option changes, nothing helped. I am considering removing the liquid metal when someone tells me how and putting arctic silver, can't do a worse job than that terrible cooling solution is doing. Other than this I don't know what else to try, other than to sell this junk and buy her a different brand laptop.
The model is G512LV but I read they pretty much all have the same issue. When I say the temps are bad, I am talking hitting 95 degrees on the cpu. Even at idle the junk spikes above 80s a lot. Never again will I touch Asus laptops.

Soldato
Gaming laptops are notoriously loud and the keyboards are hand warmers. You will struggle to find one cool or quiet. Both my sons had them initially, they didnt mind as they used headsets but as they got older I just made them two gaming PC's.
Best thing you can do is get a laptop cooler and sit the laptop on it. Although that only takes off about 5-8C depending on which one you get and some are just as noisy. The MSI one we had was just as bad, the Acer one slightly better but the screen was shocking. I did a lot of research before I bought both too and its a bit of a minefield.

You dont buy a gaming laptop if you want cool running and quiet gaming.

Caporegime
Get a Ryzen based laptop, much lower CPU power consumption and heat generation. In a gaming laptop current Intel CPU's don't make sense unless you want to cook eggs on your keyboard.

Associate
OP
I will do Acme but for now what is the best way to remove the liquid metal mate? Also I have not been on this site for a while, I have having serious search problems. Losing pages, having to refresh etc. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Damn, I have never touched Liquid Metal you see mate, but I know it isn't doing a good job. And I know guys to stay away from gaming laptops, like I said it was for my girlfriend. Has a 2070 and m.2, the specs are fine, just the cooling was abysmal. So this liquid metal, isn't just a case of clean off and replace, damn

Soldato
Liquid metal is not a case of remove and reapplying something else, you really can risk completely trashing the whole thing.

My advise, if you are unhappy with the cooling performance to speak to Asus support and getting the device RMA'd.

But as others have said, gaming laptops do run hotter on average especially higher spec ones its kind of par for the course. Not many other brands handle temps better and many handle it a lot worse.

Soldato
Find it strange its got liquid metal on one component but not on the other. Are you sure this is new and you've not ended up with a return from someone else trying to fix the issue.

I had liquid metal and I just wiped it off with a cloth and used Akasa Cleaner on it. Problem was it had like melted into the AIO cooler copper plate but was still flat. I didnt use the AIO but just repasted it and it was fine after that. Think it was a CPU I had delidded.

Associate
It has pro's and con's but you will not get a better TIM for heat transfer than liquid metal.
It may just be that the cooling system in general is not adequate.
However assuming the cooler is correctly fitted and the liquid metal correctly applied then any replacement TIM you apply will only be worse.

Associate
OP
Yeah brand new mate. Found a buyer for the junk laptop, never touching Asus again, joke of a company.
Find it strange its got liquid metal on one component but not on the other. Are you sure this is new and you've not ended up with a return from someone else trying to fix the issue.

I had liquid metal and I just wiped it off with a cloth and used Akasa Cleaner on it. Problem was it had like melted into the AIO cooler copper plate but was still flat. I didnt use the AIO but just repasted it and it was fine after that. Think it was a CPU I had delidded.

Back
Top Bottom