1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axel stand positions on E36?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Concrete, 10 Jun 2010.

1. Concrete

Wise Guy

Another E36 related query :) Can anyone recommend the best positions for placing axel stands under the front half of a 328? I would use the jacking points, but thats where I'm going to put the jack . .

2. Bat

Hitman

Not even a Beemer but same principle applies. Go for somewhere in the green circles: -

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jun 2010
  3. Wicksta

PermaBanned

Jack it up via the rearwards jacking point and it will lift the front as well. This is what I normally did/do on my e36s/46s.

4. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

I used the front subframe for the jack and then put the stands at the jacking points.

5. NickXX

Soldato

I use the jack that is in the car to life the car and put the axle stands under the jacking points.

6. paradigm

Caporegime

Aye, the insertable jack is actually really useful if you are going to be using stands.

7. Concrete

Wise Guy

Appreciate the help guys. Here's what happened next. I couldnt get the jack under the front of the car due to the low splitter so I decided on the jack up the rear of the car and then get the axel stands under the front approach. This worked great, so I was under the car loosening the nut to let the coolant out when I heard a metallic 'ping' from one of the axel stands. I decided to check it out and it had sheered one of the three lower bolts!

I was lucky, as the jack was also supporting that side of the car, and the stand didnt fail completely, but it could have been pretty bad as I was over that side of the car.

Lesson learnt, don't buy cheap collapsable Chinese axel stands from Screwfit. Going to be calling them up on Monday to express my concern.

8. Wicksta

PermaBanned

Glad to hear the jacking from the rear method worked for you too - the rest of the story is extremely concerning though! I'd be on to trading standards and everyone as it sounds like someone could be killed with these stands. Which ones are they by the way, got a link?

9. Concrete

Wise Guy

10. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Ah...£40 for a set of chocks, jack and stands doesn't bode well to me.