Axel stand positions on E36?

Associate
Another E36 related query :) Can anyone recommend the best positions for placing axel stands under the front half of a 328? I would use the jacking points, but thats where I'm going to put the jack . .

Bat

Bat

Associate
Not even a Beemer but same principle applies. Go for somewhere in the green circles: -

156front.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Another E36 related query :) Can anyone recommend the best positions for placing axel stands under the front half of a 328? I would use the jacking points, but thats where I'm going to put the jack . .

Jack it up via the rearwards jacking point and it will lift the front as well. This is what I normally did/do on my e36s/46s.

Associate
OP
Appreciate the help guys. Here's what happened next. I couldnt get the jack under the front of the car due to the low splitter so I decided on the jack up the rear of the car and then get the axel stands under the front approach. This worked great, so I was under the car loosening the nut to let the coolant out when I heard a metallic 'ping' from one of the axel stands. I decided to check it out and it had sheered one of the three lower bolts!

I was lucky, as the jack was also supporting that side of the car, and the stand didnt fail completely, but it could have been pretty bad as I was over that side of the car.

Lesson learnt, don't buy cheap collapsable Chinese axel stands from Screwfit. Going to be calling them up on Monday to express my concern.

Permabanned
Glad to hear the jacking from the rear method worked for you too - the rest of the story is extremely concerning though! I'd be on to trading standards and everyone as it sounds like someone could be killed with these stands. Which ones are they by the way, got a link?

Back
Top Bottom