Azus z490-F probelms poor lan speeds Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet

Associate
Just build a new Gaming pc and as im working from home felt that it was finally time.

components
Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200)

Intel Core i5-10600K 4.10GHz (Comet Lake) Socket LGA1200
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Pure Black CPU Cooler

I have 1GB internet connection from Virgin media speed tests consistently give me around 940 ish down

Using the above new components i noticed my speed tests had dropped dramatically, firstly thinking it was an issue with my internet then virgin tested the line and speeds to the router I done the thing i should have tried in the first instance - Another pc

So having another pc and laptop i connected up to the same cable and hey presto my speeds were back to normal.

back to the z490 board and it was struggling.
I have tried various drivers updated the firmware re-installed and nothing will make the on-board lan run even close to its advertised speeds.

So to fully convince myself I went and purchased the cheapest pcie 1gb network card i could find and give it a try- The results were full speed and exactly what i should expect.

So I contacted OC whom i have found to be absolutely outstanding when it come to any issues.
They replaced the z490 board which I have just received only to have the same issues and poor speeds with the on-board Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet

I found another forum which a long list of others experiencing the same problem.

really disappointed in this board :(

Associate
OP
This is a screen shot i made - the top results are using another pc conected to the same cable and modem running a speed test the second picture is
the z490 board using the onboard intel lan connection struggling along.
even after a board replacement the only way i can get the z490 to produce good speeds is by disabling the lan in the bios
and putting in a pcie 1gb nic card.

medium

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
There appears to be a number of articles on Google detailing teething issues with this NIC. I'm confident that's what they are since I've heard a lot of complaints about the new WIFI and NIC controllers since the launch.

I'd just suggest patience because Intel aren't exactly the sort of company who ignores problems, and if, as you say, you have a NIC card that you can use in the meantime, then all the better.

Soldato
It is a hardware flaw in the actual Intel I225V chipset that can't be remedied by software, total shambles by Intel. Almost as bad as the old quad port gigabit cards they claimed there was no fault on, but EOL'd then replaced about 3 months after they launched with a V2, how very odd.

Basically the board isn't fit for purpose, and the new parts should have been fitted to new batches of motherboards, but sales volume are so low on the Z490 boards there is stacks of older stock still around. I'd contact ASUS, but you might as well just smash your face against a wall with their customer support some days.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Yes, and if OCUK didn't know this then I'd be very surprised TBH. It's almost like the old P67 flaw, where they released a revised chipset, and all the boards had to be swapped out.
We haven't been informed of the new issue by any of the vendors. Our tech support might now know about it but there hasn't been any official communication.

lol, I was at MSI when we discovered that P67 issue and I was responsible for making the swaps.

**additional**
Just spoke with one vendor, they were under the impression that the version 2 NIC would fix the problems but that might now not seem to be the case.
I've just been told that there's now a version 3, but that's not likely to be in stock yet. Please don't hassle OcUK support for the new version, at this point we don't have any ability to identify it even if we did have stock.
Again, I'm going to ask for patience. I've pushed back to the two board vendors affected and we'll work with them to find a resolution.

Last edited:
Soldato
We haven't been informed of the new issue by any of the vendors.

Here's a image from Intel's advisory about the issue.

https://www.techpowerup.com/img/immgrcH3WvH9P6o0.jpg

The issue was only supposed to be affecting the 2.5G performance but it isn't, there is significant issues with the NIC/controller at all speeds. It is typical of vendors/Intel to ignore this and not inform the consumers when they know there is no work around, or an replacement will fix the issue.

Probably worth mailing all the MB suppliers and asking if they all have the B2 stepping on the boards, with the hardware fix enabled.

lol, I was at MSI when we discovered that P67 issue and I was responsible for making the swaps.

Trying time I'd bet, how many boards do you think you swapped over altogether?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Intel did same with Mobos back I think P67,Z87 timeline with some kind of USB issue that effected other aspects of the board (the later had a newer revision that fixed the issue but early Z87 had it and I refused one due to it till I got the newer Rev using the DSA).

Then also the Puma Chipset flaw in the Virgin HUB3 (hidden by new firmware by offloading from main underpowered CPU to WIFI CPU and also new HUB4 which is newer chip but same flawed family (not as badly effected as more powerful)

Permabanned
Until now any Intel chispet Mobo with more than a 1Gb/s NIC was using 3rd party Chips like above to get 2.5/5/10Gb/s.

AFAIK its Intel 1st onboard 2.5Gb/s NIC.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Trying time I'd bet, how many boards do you think you swapped over altogether?
a couple hundred. Did wonders for MSI's reputation in the UK though.

Probably worth mailing all the MB suppliers and asking if they all have the B2 stepping on the boards, with the hardware fix enabled.
That's the first time I've seen that advisory, Intel didn't send it to us. As for the board suppliers, I now know exactly which boards are affected and I'm speaking to both manufacturers.

Associate
OP
I know that OC would change the board for something else - i could look at one that uses the realtek nic

really disappointed in the board. I have plugged in a £9 pcie 1gb card and it works flawless. only having 30 days with the new purchase means I have to make a decision quickly

any recomendations on board ?

Associate
seems AMD boards use realtek instead for 2.5GbE

Unfortunately this isn't true. Basically the whole Asus B550 offerings have this bad Intel chip. Even the B550-A announced last week has it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/imzgfc/asus_releases_the_new_strix_b550a_gaming/

I don't know the differences between Intel and Realtek LAN. The MSI boards for example have the Realtek one which seems to operate fine but others have said to stay away from Realtek.

Back
Top Bottom