B&Q age thing.

Soldato
I dont see an issue with it tbh.

Tescos where I work implements it and its done to try and suss out under 18's who look older than they are.

If you're 17 but could look older than that chances are you aint gonna look over 21 so when you get ID'd you'll be found out. If they just asked people they thought looked under 18 then loads of old looking 16 years olds could get through.

Also the checkout operative can be fined now if they sell age restricted goods to minors so its to protect them as well to a certain extent I suppose.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Think 21 is a great policy, there are a lot of people underage who look over 18, but less who look over 21

People serving are very careful as well, I ID people even if I only have a moments doubt about them looking under 21, Ive IDed a 34 year old before! Why? Because if I get it wrong I get fined (me personally) £1000 or more, stores licence is in trouble, the store itself gets fined and I most likley loose my job

Mic

Mic

Soldato
OP
Psycho Ned said:
I dont see an issue with it tbh.

Tescos where I work implements it and its done to try and suss out under 18's who look older than they are.

If you're 17 but could look older than that chances are you aint gonna look over 21 so when you get ID'd you'll be found out. If they just asked people they thought looked under 18 then loads of old looking 16 years olds could get through.

Also the checkout operative can be fined now if they sell age restricted goods to minors so its to protect them as well to a certain extent I suppose.
da_mic_1530 said:
if you look 21 your fine
if not they will ask you for id, simple, if the id proves your 18, you can buy it
Thats not my issue. I have no problems with this look 21 thing. She told me i had to be 21. Not that i have to show id cause im under 21.

Associate
DiG said:
People serving are very careful as well, I ID people even if I only have a moments doubt about them looking under 21, Ive IDed a 34 year old before!
Set a new record for myself this year - got asked my age at Morrisons when buying a bottle of wine, and I'm 36. Once I told her that she just smiled and OK'd it though. I think the last time I was actually refused service was when I was 33. Thing is, it only happens about once every 2 or 3 years, and each time you think "I'm getting older, it will never happen again", so I've not bothered with any form of ID. And it's very rare I even have trouble in the states these days. Both sides of the pond, I just take my passport if I need to make sure there's no problem. (Though some of the people in the US seem to think a passport a particularly dodgy piece of ID!).

TBH, I don't find it a big deal if I get refused. The one time I was annoyed was when the whole office went to the pub for someone's leaving do - I must have been about 30. I ordered a round, and when I presented the credit card they asked for some ID. Not even thinking it was an age thing I asked if there was a problem with the card. At which point they got very huffy, refused to serve me (even non-alcoholic) or even have me in the bar, despite various other people in the office including the 50 year old MD explaining I was well over 18. So we all went to the pub next door. Grrr!

Soldato
speeduk said:
So basically if you look 21 then you look 18? Er :confused:
If you look over 21 then you wont be ID'd if you look under 21 then you will, as long as you are over 18 when you are ID'd you'll be able to buy the booze or whatever you want.

But if you're over 18 and have no ID and get ID'd you wont be able to buy the booze even though you are over age thats the downside of it but most people have ID of some sort (Driving license, Passport, Proof of age all ok) anyway so there shouldnt be any problem really.

This scheme has been running for ages maybe as long as a year it certainly aint just come in!

Of course if the company dont train its staff properly to understand the scheme then you get stuff like Mic experienced! I'd imagine the till asked the checkout operator if you looked 21 rather than were over 21 and she misinterpreted it.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
OP
robmiller said:
Why do people object to getting ID'd :confused:
I have NO problem getting ID'd.
This thread was asking why B&Q say I have to be over 21 (not 18 with an id) to buy some paint. And i got my answer.

Soldato
I used to ask my managers what if someone I think looks over 21 you don't and what if someone who looks over 21 is 18 but I used the look over 21 policy? TBH ask ID for everyone, sorted!

Soldato
I got ID'd last New Years eve in Sainsbury's buying a bottle of Baileys .. and the Christmas before I got ID'd in Tescos buying a bottle of brandy as a present for my Uncle

The summer before that I was refused entry to a wine bar despite everyone protesting my age and me wearing a backless dress showing my HUGE tattoo

I'm 27 in August !

I normally laugh it off but I did get annoyed with the Wine Bar incident becuase it mucked up my evening - I was meeting mates in there and nobody could hear my phone to try and get them out of there :/

Associate
Blackstar said:
You have to be a certain age to buy some solvents, i believe its 18 may be different in Irish stores i'll ask on Thursday.
In England, N.I. and Wales you've got to be 18 to buy lighter refills and 16 to buy deodorant and other stuff with solvents in. It's an offence for anyone to sell stuff with solvents in to an under 18 if they believe they are going to abuse them but it's fine as long as they're 18 or over. The difference in Scotland is they can refuse to serve someone of any age if they think they're going to be abused.

Don't abuse solvents!

Caporegime
The people at our local gamestationn are blind and stupid, they wouldnt sell me a 15 game, even though I showed them id, she said something like I might have been faking the id :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sic said:
it's because paint is an age restricted product. maybe to do with solvent abuse, or something like that. and most tills get an age restricted product reminder when they scan age restricted products. she probably didnt think, and asked your age. i shouldn't let it affect your life.

Who would want to sniff paint though :p

Back
Top Bottom