B450 Tomahawk Motherboard

Associate
I want to buy a B450 Tomahawk but I've seen that it needs a BIOS update when using the new CPU's. I want to put a Ryzen 5 3600 in it but I'm not sure if it will work if the BIOS needs an update so could someone help me out?

Associate

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/ said:
Pro Tips:
  • Unplug the 24pin power cable from the motherboard and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, reinstall the CMOS battery and reconnect the 24pin power cable and CPU power cable.
  • Make sure your USB Flash Drive is formatted to FAT32. EDIT: To make sure your USB Flash Drive is formatted correctly, you can use a third part program such as RUFUS .
  • Make sure to extract the contents of the B450 TOMAHAWK.7z file from the download, and rename the extracted file E7C02AMS.191 to MSI.ROM
  • Place the MSI.ROM file in the root directory for your FAT32 formatted USB Flash Drive.
  • Make sure you connect the USB Flash Drive to the correct Flashback USB port on the motherboard. Then press the Flashback button.
Note that there may be newer BIOS versions than the one MSI_Jorge (from MSI_Gaming subreddit) referred to above.

It's also advisable to use a USB stick no larger than 16GB.

Soldato
Sorry didn't see this, lots happening also.

The above guide is spot on. Don't forget to do this prior to installing any components, so leave CPU/RAM/SSD out until you have completed the flashing process.

Also have some patience when you are flashing it, it can take 3-6 minutes, and the first boot can take a couple of minutes also with several resets in between, once you have it all plugged in obviously. I'd advise to complete the first boot with only RAM and CPU installed and do it outside of your case to save time for further checking and testing just in case something does seem wrong.

Associate
Take care whether you're getting the B450 Tomahawk or the newer version called the B450 Tomahawk MAX. These two motherboards have different BIOSs.

Back
Top Bottom