Backup internet connection

Associate
https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/categories/guide/a_id/45660/view/45357/c/5455/

From their website,

Are data and speed capped on 4G Assure?
Data on 4G Assure
Your data usage allowance will match your broadband limit. So if you have an unlimited broadband package, 4G Assure is unlimited too.

Speed on 4G Assure
Many factors impact speed, so it cannot be guaranteed over the 4G network.

All being well, customers who have chosen faster broadband than others should find their connection on 4G Assure is faster than others too.

Thanks to @Caged for his input this is the most attractive option for the OP.

https://business.bt.com/content/bt/business/en/products/packages.html

It costs £50.90 for this a month for the fiber option or called FTTC (fiber to the cabinet) comes with 4g assure and other stuff like wifi etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The house is wired for BT and virgin. Its just working from home and day trading can mean I get myself into a corner when the internet goes down.

I'm also a sky customer so reconnecting the BT line could mean I get SKY BB and Virgin. I suppose I could traffic shape myself to some extent.. Paying an extra £50 per month as a backup to something that is costing £40 per month seems daft.

I get 10Gb per month from o2 on our business mobile contracts and I'm nearly always at home so rarely use any more than 1 gb anyhow so for the usually short time virgin is down I could tether via my/ the wifes SG8+

Thanks for all the suggestions though its certainly given me food for thought and looks like there are alternatives

Associate
I knew you weren't specifically meaning BT, I was just pointing out you wouldn't have to spend £50 a month to get an extra line if you wanted one.
BT seem very expensive compared to some of the other companies - they offer decent cashback but the actual monthly costs are high. I sense that will have to change when g.fast comes out in earnest. Their normal price for a 40mb line at the moment is £52.49 - ouch!

Associate
I believe you should go 4g as your backup connection.

You should get a 30 day contract.

36759620_10156529749862375_7727212401107402752_o.jpg

Mobile network is called EE.

https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-router/details

What amazes me about this is that it's not very expensive. When you consider that Rip Off BT charge such a lotad of "rent" for a landline, that a landline based package is £40-50 now, £60 for 200GB is really pretty good.

Soldato
Tethering detection can be bypassed easily on most networks, but it’s clearly a breach of GG’s ToS. If you are using a residential connection for commercial purposes that’s also technically a breach of VM’s ToS. FTTC connection should have lower latency anyway and it’s only £40/m for Sky TV/BB/LR, OK you’re not getting great speeds, but it’s a £15/m outlay not to be in this situation, I imagine the potential harm from a day or teo’s down time more than outweighs the cost.

Back
Top Bottom