Bad covers.

Soldato
There are some amazing covers out there. Some better than the original. This is a not a thread for those. This is a thread for the woeful dross, the sacrilegious, the "they'll be turning-in-their-grave", "what were they thinking?", shouldn't-be-allowed covers that we all wish they hadn't made.

I'll kick off with this car crash. Check out the bassist's face. That is a pro session musician doing his job and keeping it together. The soloist on the far left is similarly holding it in. Also "singer" man is playing E major all the time when it's in E minor FFS. If they edited out his guitar could they not have done the same for the singing? Bonus points if you make it to the end!

Soldato
OP
please tell me there's a father ted episode somewhere with father jack doing karaoke? This is crying out for a meme gif

Soldato
OP
please tell me there's a father ted episode somewhere with father jack doing karaoke? This is crying out for a meme gif

well I've hunted but this is the best I could find in the time available (i think there is some similarity, re face, gurning etc):

SkeletalAliveArizonaalligatorlizard-small.gif

Associate
I've heard they chant Puddle of Crud at his concerts.

This to me was the most risible and depressing cover of all time, given how cool the song was with such memorable use in Reservoir Dogs.

Then some truly cretinous producer told former Spice Girl Emma Bunton to cover Stuck in the Middle With You.

It's as bland and soulless as you might expect, sung by an absolute halfwit with no feel for any kind of cool vibe the original has. I hated it so much it actually depressed me she covered it.

Soldato
OP
I've heard they chant Puddle of Crud at his concerts.

This to me was the most risible and depressing cover of all time, given how cool the song was with such memorable use in Reservoir Dogs.

Then some truly cretinous producer told former Spice Girl Emma Bunton to cover Stuck in the Middle With You.

It's as bland and soulless as you might expect, sung by an absolute halfwit with no feel for any kind of cool vibe the original has. I hated it so much it actually depressed me she covered it.

I think your vid link might not have pasted. I can't find one by a spice girl, any chance you're thinking of this one by Louise? (it is dire. And the choreography blows too)

edit: am I the only one thinking that the girl from Killing Eve could nail a parody of that Louise video. One for the next comic relief maybe?

Soldato
Just watch any advert over the past few years where they've decided they want to grab some 80's pop or soft rock, but don't want to pay for it. Without fail they pick the most terrible cover you can imagine.

A notable recent one is a Volvo advert that appeared a couple of weeks ago, where they use a soft acoustic version of Born to be Wild. I mean, the clue is in the name of the song for why a dreary acoustic approach is stupid.

That said, none of them are as bad as the OP. Surely that was a deliberate parody?

Soldato
OP
Just watch any advert over the past few years where they've decided they want to grab some 80's pop or soft rock, but don't want to pay for it. Without fail they pick the most terrible cover you can imagine.

A notable recent one is a Volvo advert that appeared a couple of weeks ago, where they use a soft acoustic version of Born to be Wild. I mean, the clue is in the name of the song for why a dreary acoustic approach is stupid.

That said, none of them are as bad as the OP. Surely that was a deliberate parody?

I know just the one you mean. And I share your view. As for the OP. Nope no parody.

Associate
I think your vid link might not have pasted. I can't find one by a spice girl, any chance you're thinking of this one by Louise? (it is dire. And the choreography blows too)

edit: am I the only one thinking that the girl from Killing Eve could nail a parody of that Louise video. One for the next comic relief maybe?

Holy crap, I swear to God I remembered every detail as that being Emma Bunton, I didn't even bother linking the video as I thought it was just too bad. I saw a few minutes of it once and that was enough for me.

She must have another really crappy one I was thinking of, but yes you're right, it must be Louise I was thinking of for Stuck In the Middle, and it's equally bad as my incorrect memory of it.

A few years back the Yanks were going nuts over remembering the Berenstain Bears as the the Berenstein Bears, this is another example of one of those moments.

Associate
Turns out Emma Bunton's done a ton of crappy covers, including quite a few last year.

But I thought this was worthy of note, it does feature Brian Wilson so it's only a semi cover, but here's presenting a truly risible cover of Good Vibrations featuring Brian Wilson, Emma Bunton, Atomic Kitten and Sir Cliff Richard.

Talk about one of those is not like the other, but in 2002 I think Wilson was still pretty out of it, despite being a musical genius he got himself mixed up with this shower of ****.

Soldato
OP
somewhere there's a celine dion cover duet with someone featuring meredith brooks on guitar. It's a howler too but I can't think what it is... will have a hunt later.

edit. Aw they've taken it down. No fair Viacom! Give people a laugh, the times are hard right now. It was Celine Dion, Anastasia and Meredith Brooks covering ACDC's "You shook me all night long". It really really is awful. You can read the comments of other victims here: https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2007/celine-dion-in-acdc-cover-shocker/

Last edited:
Soldato
Anything Leo Morrachioli/Frog meal studios do
I like all kinds of metal but not this dude...millions of subscribers/views as well!

this is just the first one I found...they’re all **** tho :p

Associate
Another one more notable for how good the original is compared to an initially not bad rap cover, but when P Diddy tries to sing approx 2:02. Holy crap is that bad especially compared to the original vocals. The best parts are just from the original and the sequenced drums not as good as the original either. Diddy paid Jimmy Page to play on it I think, so many only a half cover as well.

Original

P Diddy

Back
Top Bottom