Bad styling details

Man of Honour
The_Dark_Side said:
can't be as bad as my contributions to the thread...

1.front of the Ford Scorpio
2.the rear of the Ford Scorpio
Like. I thought the Scorpio was just another bland barge.

The Multipla however.

Eurgh, eurgh, eurgh :(

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Gilly said:
Like. I thought the Scorpio was just another bland barge.

t425322sz.jpg

fordscorpio9516rg.jpg

It may be many things, but it doesn't look what I'd call 'bland'. In fact, it comes closer to the 'so-ugly-it-makes-small-children-cry' end of the scale.

Associate
Don't know if i can explain this fully but the door top / rear side window shape on a lot of modern 2door hatchbacks..

off the top of my head i know this feature is on the 2door focus, the corsa and the saxo, probably many others as well..

what i'm talking about is that because the top of the glass in the door is the same height as the glass in the side window behind it, you end up with a really ugly L shaped panel gap from the door frame going higher than the glass..

if anyone has a side on shot of a focus or a corsa they'll see what i mean i hope.

On the Citroen C2, the way they've sloped the waistline on the side windows and the doors up meaning that there's no clear waist line on the car

Citroen again, the C3 "Pluriel".. all of it.. it's ugly from every angle and totally pointless as a concept (imho) it does make me laugh however that Citroen are enthusiastically publicising that they've made a car that structural bits fall off of.. they've been trying to play that down for years :)

Jaguar, deciding to provide diesel engine options for any of their cars.. i'd argue that this is a style point because jaguars are supposed to be suave, sophisticated, lean and catlike.. no matter how good the diesel engine they're using is it's not a cat.. the only animal it seems like is a smoking beagle.

Ford Sierra, the whole car because it's new aerodynamic design is what killed off all creative thought in car design.

Honda Civic.. the gearstick coming out of the dashboard affair.. damn that's ugly.

Datsun.. sorry i mean Lexus... creating those godawful rear light clusters is strike one, seemingly being responsible for kickstarting the craze of gold plating the badges on your car is strike two.

Rover 75, bringing back imitation chrome door handles that stick out from the bodywork.. for crying out loud it's not the 1950's anymore.. that car could have been a sleek, well proportioned budget jaguar, Rover made it into a mock tudor mobile punchline.

Any and all manufacturers, using fake wood or metal trim on interiors.. if you want wood in there, go and buy some trees dammit..

Nissan, canning the r34 skyline and releasing the new one.. just plain ugly.

Vauxhall, binning the Manta in the late 80's then releasing the Calibra as a fwd car based on a cavalier :(

Vauxhall, restyling the Monaro to have those stupid nostrils, then canning the car as no-one wanted it.. muppets

Suspended
The retarded/glum/suicidal sadsack stupid looking headlights on the mk4 fiesta/Mazda 121, and the stupid transparent plastic grille that goes between them on some models. Yuk.

Also the boss eyed headlights on the alfa 166 (not sure which revision)... for the same reason as the fiesta, plus - did they shrink in the wash or something?

Soldato
The cross eyed Morgan lights are a styling disaster no matter how much the aerodynamics benefit from them.

Fords obsession with 4 spokes (Mondeo and Fiesta)

The twin rectangular exhausts on the Proton Satira(?) Gti.

Mk 2 Xsara headlights

Mazda 323 factory fit body kits with the 'lovely' black rubber strips around each bit of the kit.

The Golfs HUGE VW badge on the tailgate.

Any factory fit reversing sensors that aren't colour coded to the bumper.

The huge black bumpers on the non colour coded Ka's

EDIT: Almost forgot the little individual round headlights on one of the 3 series coupe's (have no idea on all this E46 etc malarky)

Soldato
Probably get abused for this but nevermind...

Honda fitting those minging round headlights to the UK DC2 ITR. WHY?! The JDM blatantly looks so much better! :o

lordrobs said:
EDIT: Almost forgot the little individual round headlights on one of the 3 series coupe's (have no idea on all this E46 etc malarky)

Think you mean the ocuk favourite, the 3 series compact there :p

Soldato
TripleT said:
Probably get abused for this but nevermind...

Honda fitting those minging round headlights to the UK DC2 ITR. WHY?! The JDM blatantly looks so much better! :o

Think you mean the ocuk favourite, the 3 series compact there :p
Yup those are the ones, thought some of the coupes had them too but a quick google shows I'm wrong :)

Soldato
The reversing/fog light surrounds on the new Focus ST, ewwww. Why make them from minging grey plastic? WHY GODDAMIT? Barely acceptable on a silver/grey car, but on the black or orange ones they look ridiculous.

Soldato
karoshi said:
Datsun.. sorry i mean Lexus...
Nitpicking here, but Datsun changed their trading name to Nissan, Lexus is the "luxury" spinoff of Toyota, the two are not related at all.

Agreed on the UK DC2 ITR, round lights :confused:

Focus ST reverse/fog lights - what were they thinking!?

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Im nto sure what cars they are, but any car that has an add on rear fog light stuck in the bumper.
Usually japanese cars, or their UKDM cousins. Just ruins the looks of the car.

Soldato
Mic said:
Im nto sure what cars they are, but any car that has an add on rear fog light stuck in the bumper.

That's only because Jap cars don't have foglights as standard and UK importers are lazy. The proper way to do it would be to fit the UK spec rear lights (or convert the Jap ones), not just fit a £2.99 Halfords fog light.

Soldato
The old Focus- Not the whole car just the stupid placement for the reversing light. I meant right at the bottom on the bumper isn't the best place for it.

Big cars which only have one reversing light.

Cars that have indicators (rear and front) on the inside of the other lights. (this is especially annoying at night when you can't see the damn think with the headlights on).

Cup holders!!!! I dopn't need friggin 18 of them (Made up figure I know but some cars have a ridiculous amount of cup holders :p )

Mic

Mic

Soldato
oweneades said:
Cup holders!!!! I dopn't need friggin 18 of them (Made up figure I know but some cars have a ridiculous amount of cup holders :p )
Count yourself lucky, i have zero cupholders.

Soldato
Any designer who pretends that front numberplates don't exist and makes no provision for one then wonders why everyone thinks their concept looks terrible once it's been made road legal.

Suspended
oweneades said:
The old Focus- Not the whole car just the stupid placement for the reversing light. I meant right at the bottom on the bumper isn't the best place for it.

Along the same sort of lines... off roaders which have lights in the bumper. I mean, for a working vehicle designed to be knocked around, isn't that just the STUPIDEST possible place you could put them? :confused:

Soldato
Mic said:
Yep :(

My UKDM Prelude has a horrible fog light, they (Honda) cut a huge hole into the bumper and stuck a mahoosive thing in there:

DSC00292%20(Small).JPG

So, I filled it in when I did my body kit, and relocated the fog-light into the offside reversing light (unfortunately losing one of those, but it's a price worth paying IMO!)

DSC00501%20(Small).JPG

Back
Top Bottom