**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Man of Honour
Please visit www.tftcentral.co.uk for loads more informatin and all these guides as well.

TFT's covered in this thread:

Acer AL1916W
Dell 1905FP
Hyundai L90D+
Samsung 913 N/B (also 920N)
Samsung 930BF
Sony X-Black HS95P
Viewsonic VP930 B/S
Viewsonic VX922

Other TFT's Covered on my Homepage:

Acer 1912S
Belinea 101902
Digimate 1916
LG 1915S
LG 1920P
LG 1980U
NEC 1970GX
Samsung 191 T/N
Samsung 193P
Sharp LL-T19D1
VideoSeven L19PS
Viewsonic VP191 B/S
Viewsonic VX910
Viewsonic VX912
Viewsonic VX924
Xerox XA7-19i

Man of Honour
OP
Viewsonic VX922
19 inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 2ms G2G response time, 650:1 contrast ratio, 270 cd/m2 brightness, quoted 150/135 viewing angles
DVI and VGA connections (with cables), tilt function

viewsonic_vx912.jpg

The Viewsonic VX922 is the updated version of the popular and well established VX924. It is using essentially the same TN Film panel from AU Optronics as the VX924, and indeed the VX912 before it. However, with a more aggressive application of overdrive, they are now listing it as a 2ms response time screen and touting it as the "fastest monitor in the world", which (at time of writing) it is. Since there is a more aggressive application of overdrive on the panel, the grey to grey response time may have been lowered a little, and Viewsonic themselves have supposedly improved their own ClearMotiv technology, with some places listing it as ClearMotiv 2. In reality and in practice, I really doubt you would be able to tell much difference between the VX922 and the VX924. Seeing as this is effectively replacing the VX924 however, it won't really matter in the near future, but if you can still source the VX924, there might be a worthwhile saving if you did buy that. I don't see the point in paying the difference to get the VX922 when what you are pretty much paying for is an updated spec on paper, without any real difference in performance.

As far as other performance goes, expect restrictive viewing angles in keeping with other TN Film technology screens. These are particular bad in the vertical field and certainly cannot compete with IPS or VA variant panels. Movie playback is generally quite poor on TN panels as well and the heavy application of overdrive does not help, and can lead to the accentuation of 'noise' and artefacts in movie playback. X-Bit labs reviewed several monitors with overdrive (Response Time Compensation - RTC) here, where they were impressed with the control of the overdrive which AU Optronics have used. This is in comparison with Samsung panels, which showed poor control and a large degree of overshoot on the overdrive, leading to these drawbacks in movie playback. The VX924 / VX922 are very much aimed at the gamers market and I would put them in a similar class as the Samsung 930BF. However, if you're wanting a TFT for more all round use I think it would be worth looking elsewhere...

Official Viewsonic Spec

-------------------------------------
User Pictures: (note, of the VX912, but it is the same design exactly)

Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 | Pic 5 | Pic 6 | Pic 7 | Pic 8 | Pic 10

----------------------------------------------
Reviews:

Tom's Hardware Review (March 2006)
BeHardware Review (Dec 2005)
Prad.de Review (Jan 2006)

Advanced Tests:

< Click Here >

User Comments

BEHARDWARE: "The bezel is already known, it is the same as with the previous VX range, the 4ms which became 3ms thanks to the magic of the response time procedure modification. And honestly they could have continued on the same path and say that the VX924 became a 2ms. The differences between the 922 and 924 are barely noticeable. If the monitor name is hidden, chances are that you won't find which version you are playing with even in clone mode.

(Response time) From the Viewsonic VX922 (TN 2 ms) to the Acer AL1951 BS (TN 6 ms), it takes a very sharp eye to see the difference. All have very fast reaction times and very slight afterglow. We remind you that we felt that TN 8, 12 and 16 ms panels produced compared results for our eye, and were impossible to distinguish in games even if a the response time measure with the oscilloscope reported different values. We feel that 2 = 3 = 4 = 6 ms for games. So why should you spend more money? Choosing a 2ms monitor has one advantage: you can hope to have a better colour quality because manufacturers realize more and more that it is a very important aspect. However, we showed in the previous page that it wasn't necessarily the case."

H0TK4RL (Hardforum): "Two NEC 17s, Planar PL2010M, Apple 20" Cinema Display, the list goes on and these VX922s kick the poop out of them. Point is, I'm comparing these LCDs to LCDs being that it's been a long time since I've used a CRT. First thing I did after getting them set up was play some CS:S and DoD. The Refresh is amazing! Yes there is some extremely mild ghosting but it's almost a mute point to be honest. Text is very crisp, easy to read. The backlight does bleed through a bit and that's probably the only thing that bothers me with the monitors."

TOM'S HARDWARE: "The VX922's design is identical to that of the VX824. Maybe LCD manufacturers are short on designers, or maybe the designers are short on time and resources...But the VX922's design is extra-flat and elegant, and the plastics are high-quality. he ergonomics could be better. A tilt adjustment is all you get. The buttons on the front panel are easy to use and the OSD is the classic Viewsonic model. It's very accessible. After adjustment, the colours were fine... but you'll have to make the adjustments yourself. In the interest of economy, or maybe so as not to step on the toes of its other monitor lines, Viewsonic has set this one a little too cold and saturated by default. The black level was very good. The brightness was high for office applications or graphics use. The VX922's uniformity wasn't extraordinary. The values were spread over 20% of the total range, which is below average for the monitors we've looked at so far. On the other hand, it's interesting to note that there were no halos of light in the corners or along the edges of the panel, which is a positive point.

The TN panel in the VX922 is indeed the fastest we've seen up to now. But let's be sure of what we're talking about. Our criteria aren't limited to remanence alone. The other 3- and 4- ms panels are fast, but they lack precision because the overdrive is not well controlled. But the VX922 showed no evidence of troublesome overshoot. It reproduced the requested colour in less than the space of one frame. The Overdrive is exceptionally well controlled, earning the VX922 a place in Class A. Since we didn't record any overshoot, this monitor should resolve a lot of the complaints from gamers who are unhappy with their 4- and 6-ms monitors. On displays with which the overdrive is poorly controlled, some people can see visual artefacts in FPS games during lateral movements. A halo of colour appears temporarily around the moving object. This phenomenon is due to the overdrive technology used on this type of monitor. In the worst cases, the colour displayed is not the right one for 3 whole frames, which can be visible in the form of unwanted colours....Games are really this monitor's home turf. It's incredibly fast, and no chromatic aberrations appear during movement - this is really the Rolls-Royce of gamers' LCD displays.

Again, the default brightness was too high for office applications. You can solve the problem by sacrificing a little colour fidelity. Text was sharp, but it would be better to use this monitor for office work only occasionally. The assessment is a little more mixed for video. A good deal of sparkling was perceptible on colour masses. And what's more, the viewing angles, in particular the vertical, were quite narrow. So the VX922 is a gamers' monitor first and foremost."

PRAD.DE: "Considering the fact that it’s a TN panel model, the image quality of the ViewSonic VX922 is impressively good. The amount of stripes occurring in smooth red and blue gradients is hardly visible. Whereas stripes appear to be more pronounced in gradients of green and shades of grey, it still remains on a level which - for a TN panel – has to be considered as above good. The contrast rapidly drops when looked at from the side, resulting in pale colors as well as negative impact on the perceived black level. However, all TN panels are subject to this flaw, as they possess far weaker viewing angle stability than VA or IPS panels for instance.

The monitor unearthed no noticeable amount of ghosting in fast paced first person shooters and also didn’t show the so-called ”Corona” effect with quickly moving objects. Therefore, it seems that ViewSonic has done a good job in fine tuning its ´Advanced Amplified Impulse Overdrive´ in conjunction with the TN panel. The responsiveness of the ViewSonic VX922 is excellent and this display is surely one the fastest LCD monitors we have tested so far. Yet, the possibility that someone would actually be able to perceive a difference between a 2 ms and a 4 ms device seems highly unlikely to us. In terms of response time performance, the VX922 is an interesting choice for hardcore gamers. For those gamers who are still not satisfied by this display, the only real option left will be going for a CRT monitor.

When it comes to playing back DVDs and displaying action sequences, battle scene or rapid camera pannings often involved (like in ´Blade 2´ for instance) , the VX922, taking advantage of its fast TN panel with Overdrive, easily proves up to the task. None of the DVDs we used for this review revealed any ghosting on this monitor. Neither does the TN panel show any real weakness regarding quality of color tones and shades of grey. Dark scenes, steam, fog, wads of smoke and glare effects as frequently encountered in the movie ´Blade Runner´ are displayed in great quality. Admittedly, the quality level achieved can’t cope with VA or IPS panels, but the dithering shows hardly any effects that would have a negative impact on image quality."

============================
Hyundai L90D+
19inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 8ms response time (TN Film panel), 700:1 Contrast Ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, DVI and VGA, Tilt and Height Adjustment. Built in speaker and headphone jack

hyundai_l90d.jpg

The Hyundai L90D+ was the first 19inch TFT to use Samsung’s LTM190EX-L01, 8ms rated TN Film panel. This gives the screen a clear market at gamers who want larger screens than the 17inch models, but also want the response rate nice and low. The TFT looks a lot like some of the old Samsung panels (Samsung 181T for example) and has a really nice thin bezel. To achieve such a low response rate, the panel seems to have sacrificed in some areas, most noticeably, viewing angles. This is a common feature on TN panels however, as reductions in viewing angles and movie playback can help panel manufactures achieve the latest and greatest response times. It seems from reviews that colour reproduction is exceptionally good for a TN film panel, and the contrast ratio is extremely high as well! This is very much a gamers TFT, but offers some excellent performance in the 19" market.

Official Hyundai Spec

-------------------------------------------
Reviews:

BeHardware Review (Dec 2004)
Tom's Hardware Review (Feb 2005)

Advanced Tests:

Click here

User Pictures:

Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 | Pic 5 | Pic 6 | Pic 7 | Pic 8

User Opinions:

TOM'S HARDWARE: "To our great surprise, the L90D+'s color rendering is excellent. Marketed as a gamer's monitor, the L90D+ has color fidelity that matches the best CRT monitors! It's simply excellent, and in fact very close to the quality you get with MVA panels, but without the slowness. The L90D+ still has some difficulty with dark colors - but nothing like what we're used to seeing.

This display is much too bright for my taste.....Of course you can lower the brightness, especially since the contrast is fairly stable, but then the color fidelity will be less than optimal....you'll be able to change the brightness as you see fit between 30% and 70% without losing too much contrast. Optimum contrast was at 65%.

We chose a more appropriate contrast adjustment, one that's closer to the actual conditions under which the display will be used. And that resulted in a latency reading of 10 ms in the best case.....We noticed no objectionable remanence, even with the fastest games. While the 12ms 19" models were a little slower than their 17" counterparts, the 8ms 19" panels can rival the fastest 17" units.... (It) is very responsive; images are perfectly fluid, and immersion in the game is very impressive. Dark games take full advantage of the excellent black level. Games with bright colors are also at their best on this panel, with its intense, accurate colors. In short, the L90D+ is a gamer's monitor....Beyond the native resolution, the image deteriorates significantly, so you'll need a good graphics card.

The panel's viewing angles are somewhat narrow - especially the vertical angle. Adjusting the monitor's base so that the panel is vertical is important for getting the most out of it....Screening films, on the other hand, was a disappointing experience. There was a little video noise here and there, but the biggest problems were caused by the viewing angles, which were too narrow."

BADDASS' note: THG also state that the DVI makes very little difference in image quality on this TFT over the VGA

THORSON64: “Played Doom 3 on it, no lag at all. Also had a quick spin with LOTR DVD, everything looked real nice.”

ROBOSTAC: “The base is sturdier than it looks, quite heavy. The bezels nice and thin, the only problem being the controls are a bit fiddly to use, especially if your monitor isn't at its maximum height….The screen itself is very good quality, noticed no problems in movies / games so far…..The colours /image are indeed very sharp, and better than my old Hitachi 16ms monitor.”

OOALDRIDGE: “I’ve just played a few games with fraps on. NFS Underground 2, looks really good, no ghosting……Matrix 2 fight scenes, no ghosting……It wont effect my game play and in game it looks really good. In windows it just doesn’t look right but I need some time to mess about with colour settings and to get used to the dot pitch.”

JGRAHAM2K: “No ghosting here either. I've tested the TFT out on the extended edition DVD of Return of the King, Half Life 2 and Medal Of Honour: pacific assault. All ran beautifully. I'm running MOH at the TFT’s optimum resolution but I’m running HL2 at 1024x768. HL2 looks sweet even when it’s running at 1024x768...no issues at all.

COLDWIRED: “Still a slight ghosting compare to my 7yr old Sony 400PS CRT, 6-bit colour panel means (bad) colour banding on gradients, fuzzy image on games if running at less than 1280x1024…..Q3 & Halo seemed Ok as far as the slight blurring was concerned but FarCry started to make me a feel a bit bleh and also looked the worst when running at a res less then the native 1280. Other niggly things like fiddly menu etc I've ignored. I do like the fact that is takes up less space, is less glary, is better in bright sunlight, has perfect geometry (no pincushion, uneven edges etc) but at the end of the day I didn't have any of the main issues above with the CRT and I'm wondering why on earth I should keep it. What adds insult to injury is that its extra clarity shows up poorly saved web jpegs and also enhances the need for AA in games, even at 1280.....but I guess I shouldn't let that factor really.”

BEHARDWARE: “The screen is vertically adjustable, it has an internal power supply, a pivot mode (very useful for image editing, typing long texts and surfing on Internet)….. However like the Samsung 913N this screens’ viewing angles are lower than the average TN screen….from 45° on the side, colors change. Tests with the L90D+ confirm our earlier tests with the 913N, the Samsung 8 ms panel is the fastest panel on the market. Compared to fast AU Optronics and LG-Philips panels, afterglow is reduced. And you really need to be allergic to LCD screens quality no to use it to play.”

WSH: "Weaker colours than the Viewsonic VX912 but better viewing angles.....Probably equal ghosting. Good ergonimics but not very good looking."

DADDYORCHIPS - a direct comparison with the Dell 2001FP: "The base of the screen does look a bit tacky, especially when sat next to the Dell screen. Overall, the build quality is nicely robust, but aesthetically the screen looks cheaper than the Dell. Which it IS, so fair enough. What is nice is how small the bezel is: it's tiny, especially when compared to the Dell's.

Another point worth making is that this screen is far easier on the eyes than the Dell. It could be just that I'm using a lower resolution with a higher DPI, but the image seems much more "still". You could say that having now seen both, 1280x1024 looks well suited when stretched over 19 inches, whilst 1600x1200 is too high a resolution for 20.

So far I've tested UT2004, Doom 3, Half Life 2 and WoW. They've all looked great. Thanks to the extra available brightness, I can see more than on the Dell, and the IQ remains about the same. I'm surprised to say the difference in response time IS noticeable - I'm not normally bothered about these things - and when looking around in say Unreal Tournament the image remains sharper on the Hyundai. It's not completely perfect: there's definitely still some blur. Half Life 2 and WoW are extremely colourful games, and the Hyundai does a good job with them. On the whole, whilst looking more life like, the extreme colours are not as brash and bold as on the Dell....What DOES happen though is that all the colours look more equally pronounced, and everything takes on a more photo like sheen......When knocking the res down to 1024x768, the Hyundai takes a noticeable hit. This screen is nowhere near as good at interpolating as the Dell. At 1024x768, it does the job ok, but text becomes jaggedy. The image isn't as sharp overall and blur/ghosting (?) becomes more pronounced generally. The Dell manages to retain a slightly sharper image and the text remains intact. 800x600 is unplayable on the Hyundai, but for some reason 640x480 interpolates extremely well! The Dell doesn't particular handle either of these admirably either, though it does have the option of turning the scaling off.

Also, the colours are definitely not as vivid as the Dell's. But the picture is much sharper. Now it's hit night time, the glare of the screen has reached such a peak that I've had no choice but to lower the contrast significantly. Unfortunately, doing this really drains the screen of colour, and this appears to really hurt gaming. Part of the beauty of World of Warcraft, for instance, is the use of strong primary colours, and these can look quite plain on the L90D+ once the contrast is reduced. On the flip-side of the coin, some games are REALLY benefitting from the excess contrast. Far Cry looks fantastic, and you could sharpen blades with its IQ. I've just finished dabbling in Dawn of War, and that looks great also. Plenty of detail for all to see. I still miss my colour though. I'm typing this back on the 2001FP again, and am just soaking up the high-resolution, colourful goodness.

The only thing that the Hyundai exaggerates is the contrast between extremely bright, bland colours, and extremely those that are extremely dull and bland. A good example is World of Warcraft: its prominent use of vivid primary colours is palpatated into an ugly, drained mush on the L90D+. That's not to say the Hyundai experience is entirely bad: Doom 3 benefits from its detailed blacks, whilst Far Cry appears pin-point sharp.

Viewing angles: Tom's Hardware couldn't have said it better. They're really not all that great. Sitting in front of it, swaying side to side, there really isn't an issue. But the bottom of the screem is definitely slightly lighter than the top, and it would appear you can't adjust the angle so that the entire screen is uniform. It's no biggie though.

Films: look fine to me. Am using an ATI X800 XT to run this, and I can't really tell any difference between the two. Photo wise, the Hyundai puts in a good show. Its heavy contrast really brings out any still image you care to put on the screen. The Dell isn't far behind, and its colours still beat the Hyundai in this department, but sometimes so much so that photos can look artificial in comparison. I think I'll give this one to the Hyundai."

WEDGE: "The picture is very sharp and bright, however the fonts I don't think looks quite as sharp as my old CRT monitor, or as nice as my laptop. I've tried Cleartype and Standard but not great. I mostly play games (and the reason ive waited for a fast TFT), so I fired up my all time favourite Quake III and to my amazment there was very little ghosting, as playable as a CRT monitor. So a deffinate thumbs up for gamers.

The viewing angles are not too bad at all. Vertically, they are excellent, a little darkening on the lighter colours at the bottom looking down and visa versa. Horizontally the pale colours turn a little yellow, but very little, if any, picture quality loss. Ive also played Battle for Middle Earth RTS, and it's stunning - even better than my 19" CRT. The blacks are jet black, very impressive!! Played the incredibles DVD and its excellent!! You could easilly sit 3 people side by side in front of the monitor and you would all see a great picture. The colours are very bright and vibrant. And the screen is Huge! "

Man of Honour
OP
Dell 1905FP
19 inch, 1280 x 1024 resolution. DVI and VGA connections. USB 2.0 hub and height / tilt /swivel / rotate adjustments.

Version 1: 20ms response time, Samsung PVA panel, 800:1 contrast ratio, 250cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles
Version 2: 8ms G2G response time, AU Optronics P-MVA panel, 800:1 contrast ratio, 250cd/m2 brightness, 170 / 170 viewing angles

dell1905fp.JPG

The Dell 1905FP is listed officially as using the same Samsung LTM190E4 PVA technology panel. This is the same panel as used in the Samsung 193P. The static image quality is some of the best you will find in the 19” market and thanks to the PVA panel the colours, sharpness, and viewing angles are all excellent. This panel offers the pros of PVA technology, and is one of the best available for the non gamer in my opinion. The display is a true 8-bit colour panel with excellent colour reproduction, and offers much wider viewing angles than TN film panels do. The only problem with it is that the fluidity is just not as good as the TN and Overdriven VA panels around. The 20ms response time is a little too slow for any major gaming and you will probably experience some ghosting in any fast games. Having said that, for an office / image editing use TFT, this would be ideal.

In 2005, Dell started to ship the 1905FP with a different panel manufactured by AU Optronics (the M190EN03 V0). This is the same panel as used in models like the Viewsonic VP191B-2, and is an 8ms G2G P-MVA panel. See this article about the 20ms and 8ms versions and how to tell which version is which. The 8ms panel is much faster for gaming thanks to the implementation of overdrive technology from the panel manufacturers. It still offers excellent static image qualities as well, including wide viewing angles, good colour reproduction and smooth movie playback. The static image is perhaps not quite as good as the 20ms version, but it would be very hard to notice much, if any difference in real use. If you’re a gamer, the 8ms version is much better.

Official Dell Spec

------------------------------------------------------------
Reviews:

Anandtech Review (Jan 2005)
ZDNet Review

------------------------------------------------------------
User Comments – 20ms version:

ANANDTECH: “The Dell 1905FP emits a brighter image than the Samsung 193P, but at the same time, it also has a slightly higher darkest dark. Even though the Samsung 193P and Dell 1905FP are using the same panels, Dell may be giving the backlights a little bit of a boost in power to increase brightness.

There is still room for improvement for Dell. We were not impressed with the analog connection on this display, for example. We noticed poorer than typical results when using the analog 15-pin D-sub connector with extremely bad streaking/interference errors. There isn't a large reason to use analog in our opinion, so this is not a huge issue in the long run. The DVI signal quality was superb, as expected on a digital connection. We noticed no imperfections in the screen regularity; and zero artifacts using the DVI connector. We very briefly used the LCD under the analog connector and did notice problems across the letterbox. Occasional artifacts would crop up near the letterbox borders (on a movie), but this is undoubtedly due to interference issues with the analog cable.

We did not notice any significant problems while scrolling on our 1905FP - the game (WarHammer 40K, Dawn of War) seems perfectly playable to us. The extreme light and dark transitions in Max Payne still provide us with the sufficient criteria to benchmark transient response time; specifically, we can focus on the light and dark extremes. Again, we get an occasional red shift here and there. Since the monitor does let us adjust the color ever slightly, we modified the color preset a nudge toward blue and green. This compensated for the red issues in most cases. Halo and UT2K4 have very similar results, but now, we are looking for fast motion and color correctness at the same time. After adjusting the color toward blue/green, we had to set it back when playing Halo and UT2K4. Fast motion was on par with what we expected for this game; we certainly didn't notice any motion blur, but if the Dell 1905FP is your first LCD, then you will notice a difference immediately.”

SPOO: “Just fixed my dual 1905FP's up and they look great, no dead pixels and plugged in a second pc to one and noticed no loss in image quality (took me a while to figure out how to switch between the two PC’s). A little ghosting in CS Source but I think it is more about me getting uses to TFT’s as these are my first. Damn, the text is sharp. Overall the quality for 2d and colour is great and gaming is much better than I thought it would be.”

ZDNET: “The Dell 1905FP delivers better image quality than your average LCD. We tested the monitor at its native resolution of 1,280 by 1,024. Text looked crisp well beyond the range of typical font sizes. Its sharpness matches that of the NEC MultiSync LCD1960NXi. In colour performance, it beat or matched all other competitors, save Eizo's professional-grade ColorEdge CG18. On our DisplayMate-based greyscale tests, we noticed a slight green tint in the darkest shades and a slight pink hue in the lightest. These colour flaws are less pronounced than on most LCDs and shouldn't bother most users. Graphics aficionados, however, should note that we saw mildly washed-out midtone colours in some digital photos we viewed. Still, the 1905FP offers above-average image quality when compared to other similarly priced displays.

As is common for LCDs, the 1905FP had trouble displaying a true black, although it was quite deep for an LCD. In our informal DVD-viewing test, performance was about average on the dark end of the greyscale. We could discern fairly dark tones but did miss some shadow details on the DVD. On the light end, we could distinguish very pale greys against a white background. This indicates that the monitor displays subtle shadings well at the bright end, as you might find in editing brightly lit photos or in viewing exuberantly designed Web pages featuring light text on a colored background. We saw minimal streaking in motion tests but noticed some noise and oversaturated colours.”

Man of Honour
OP
Viewsonic VP930B/S
19 inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 8ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 250 cd/m2 brightness, 170 / 170 viewing angles
Pivot, height and tile functions, 2x VGA and 1x DVI connections with cables provided

viewsonic_vp930.jpg

Viewsonic have updated the very popular VP191B/S model with their new VP930B/S. Not much has changed with the looks of the monitor apart from a slightly thinner bezel and a fourth legs on the stand being added. The change to this new model number however was a smart move by Viewsonic, as it ties in with the update of the panel which was being used, which is manufactured by AU Optronics. Rather than confuse their customers again, Viewsonic have changed the model number to avoid problems over which panel you might receive. This new panel is a slightly tweaked and updated version of the already well established AUO 8ms P-MVA panel which was used in several popular models including the aforementioned VP191B, as well as the Xerox XA7-192i and Dell 1905FP.

AU Optronics have updated the spec, with the only change being the improved contrast ratio of 1000:1 as compared with 800:1 before. This would imply an improved black depth, since brightness remains unchanged. However, in my opinion this is very much a marketing tactic, to keep up to date with their main rival in this area, the 8ms Samsung PVA monitor which was offering the same specs as the old AUO version, but with this 1000:1 contrast ratio. Since the AUO panel was released first, Samsung had chance to top them on paper specs when they released their panel. I doubt very much that AU Optronics have done anything to the panel which improves it in real use, and reports seem to indicate that this is the case. Perhaps a slight tweaking, but in my opinion, a larger part of marketing.

Regardless, the VP191B was an excellent model, and the updated spec can't hurt. User comments and reviews from the VP191B can be taken for the VP930 as well, but there are new comments and info provided below as well.

Official Viewsonic Spec

Reviews:

Tom's Hardware Review (Nov 2005)
Tom's Hardware Review (March 2006)
BeHardware Review (Dec 2005)
BeHardware Review of Belinea 101920 (same updated AUO P-MVA panel - Sept 2005)

Advanced Tests:

<Click Here>

User Comments:

TOM'S HARDWARE FRANCE: (Translated) "The VP930 sets the standard for colour reproduction, and 94% of the colours are perfect. It is very comparable to the VP191B. Compared with the VP191B, the black is slightly better at 0.3 as opposed to 0.34 before. Brightness is also a little better at 233.5 cd/m2 compared with 220 before. Contrast ratio is therefore higher on the VP930 at a measured 778:1 as compared to the VP191B which was measured at 647:1. The panel uniformity is very good as a whole, but doesn't show any improvement over it's predecessor. There is pretty much no change in latency compared with the VP191B and there is very little overshoot caused by overdrive technology.

In practice the screen is excellent for office, but you will need to lower the brightness. Colour fidelity is also very good and the screen is good for amateur photographers. For gaming, the screen is certainly fast enough, but is not the fastest panel out there at the moment. There is some slight red trailing when you move the mouse over a blue background, but nothing major. For movies there is very little noise and it is certainly superior to TN Film panels. Viewing angles are also perfect."

BEHARDWARE: (comments about the panels performance, based on the Belinea 101920) "Quality after calibration isn't comparable to professional graphic arts monitors with white at 175 cd/m² and black at 0.3 cd/m². The contrast ratio was measured at 600:1, which is good, but not at the level of the claimed 1000:1. Unlike TN monitors, looking at the monitor from below doesn’t make the image darken and it's visible at every angle. This doesn’t necessarily mean that it's “excellent” but colours are true until 45° approximately from left, right, above and below. It corresponds to a 90° horizontal and vertical. Beyond this, as we see with pictures taken at a 50° angle, colour intensity is slightly reduced. In this area, the latest Samsung S-PVA (and IPS) panels provide better results. And the VP191b is also capable of this quality. (Interpolation) It's satisfactory, and the occasional blurring caused by resolution modification won’t blind you but it isn’t ideal.

Was it really necessary for AU Optronics to change the panel and release a new version of the one featured in the VP191b? No, especially if it leads to a price increase. Even if we have the impression of a slight improvement in games, really undetectable if you don’t concentrate on this point, the Belinea 10 19 20 and ViewSonic VP191b provide identical quality in all aspects of colour quality, viewing angles, and films."

DJOHN: "My Viewsonic VP930 arrived at 6pm this evening, and although I have yet to put it through all its paces, It's bowled me over with its quality. No dead pixels, lovely and even lighting all over the screen and deep bright colours. What I have already found out is that when you pivot the display, it changes automatically, no buttons to click, the monitor recognises what position its in by itself. I've tried mine at 75 Hertz, but noticed no difference, it works fine at that refresh, but I have reset it to the recommended 60 Hertz through the DVI connection....To me the display is perfect for the use I give it in the main. Word processing, DTP and image editing. I have watched a couple of movies , both were full of colour and nothing seemed out of place at all, every bit as good as watching them on my quality wide-screen Toshiba TV.

(From his user review) All colours are vivid without being oversaturated, very vibrant and realistic. Very good reproduction of all colours and shades, everything sharp and easy to distinguish the shades of grey. Good deep blacks. Not yet into games in a serious way, so difficult one to answer truthfully, but did borrow Lara Croft Tomb Raider and enjoyed playing the game I did not notice any lag or ghosting which is quite surprising because my graphic card is only a budget Radeon 9600 129Mb. I am very impressed with the quality of this panel’s display. 4 years since I owned a CRT, so difficult to remember, but from watching my friends Mitsubishi Diamond plus 93sb I could not tell the difference in the game. My friend could but he is an avid gamer and photo chopper, he was very impressed and for the first time is considering a TFT for his Photoshop work.

(Black screen) Looking direct on the monitor is the same level of black all over, moving to the side or looking from the top or bottom of the screen, I can just make out a little lighter shade in the lower right corner, but its so slight that it really isn’t worth mentioning. Moving my angle of view well over to the left or right of the screen, almost looking side-ways on, the whole screen is then the same slightly lighter shade as the bottom right corner, again though, it is very even all over the panel. White screen is white all over, no patching that I can see at all, very bright and lights the room up! Clear-type does help. I have downloaded from Microsoft the Clear-type tuner and this allows 6 different settings, well worthwhile using this to tune to your preference. Text is very sharp yet smooth at all sizes, very easy and comfortable to read, as easy on the eye as reading from a good quality book or magazine.

(Vertical viewing angle) It becomes unusable (From a comfortable point of view) if you stand up and look directly down the face of the display, but even then one can make out the text, same applies if you get as close to the floor as possible and look up at a direct angle. Obviously, the more acute the viewing angle, the lighter the display is, but at all times one can see and read what is on the screen, both in the daytime or a well lit room at night. If you look from an horizontal position at a complete right angle with the display. It really is a very good wide angle viewing experience. 3 people can sit side by side and see the exact same image, change that to 5 and the 2 outside people will see a slight lightening, but still enjoyable view, it’s as good as any TFT TV’s I have seen in the stores."

EMERGENCY_PANTS: "My previous monitor was a NEC Multisync FE750+, which was really really nice on the eyes. This VP930 ****** all over it. It's the colour... true 24-bit, 16.7m colours. I'm looking at my photo collection and I hardly recognise them as my own!! The detail and colour far exceeds my expectations... which were high. I recently bought a Digital Nikon SLR and this evening I only just realised what good pictures it's been taking! I haven't played many games on it yet... but Flatout at 1280x1024 looks great. It's a driving game, so the scenery moves fast and constantly... I see no ghosting/trails at all, even in the trees! Playing SWAT4 is a similar story. I may just have to replay through Far Cry and HL2 again, just for the new experience! It really is that much different from my CRT. There are some lighter areas towards the corners... but it's only minor (I only notice it when the monitor is ALL black, which is... erm, never). I never really expected to find a monitor which is ideal for photo editing and graphics production and playing games too... but I was wrong... this is it. It's too early to say how much the monitor needs calibrating for printing, but judging purely by eye, I'd say not too much. The colours and contrasts look very natural. Whites are white and blacks are black. I haven't had to tweak the colour temp or RGB settings from factory defaults yet."

ALL-STAR: "The picture quality is second to none. No, the monitor isn't the cheapest on the market, but you get what you pay for. If my VP930 lasts out the warranty, which is 3 years on-site, I'll be happy with that for £400. If you want a top all-round monitor with true 24-bit colour, sharp text output, high contrast and fast response (if you're gaming also), then this is the monitor for you. If you're a keen gamer, then I've been playing all the popular fast FPS games we all know and love: Doom 3, Far Cry and Half-Life 2 - since last week here and there. I can safely say it's excellent as a gaming display. I do have vsync turned on where possible though, as this prevents 'tearing' from occurring."

===========================
Samsung 913 N/B (also 920N)
19inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 8ms response time, 700:1 contrast ratio, 300cd/m2 brightness, 160/160 viewing angles

‘N’ version: tilt function, VGA connection only
‘B’ Version: tilt and height adjustments, DVI and VGA connections, built in speakers

samsung913n.jpg

The Samsung 913 follows in the design of the 710T before it and offers the usual good looks we have come to expect from a Samsung TFT. The 913 offers an excellent 8ms response time from Samsung’s own 190EX-L01 TN Film panel. This has also been used in other models including the Hyundai L90D+. The pixel response performance is pretty much the best out there at the moment on this panel, but it does suffer from some poor viewing angles and restrictive movie playback, when compared with the “slower” TN Film models of the 12ms and 16ms generation.

The problem with the N edition is that it doesn’t really follow in the current trend of 19” TFT’s in it’s features, and only offers a tilt function and VGA connection. The lack of a DVI connection and some extra features like pivot and rotate, might put some people off this monitor, but the VGA connection is said to be of very high quality. If you’re particularly bothered about it, then the B version is available at a little extra cost.

Official Samsung Specs for 913N and 913B

Reviews:

Tom’s Hardware Review (Feb 2005)
BeHardware Review (Dec, 2004)
PC Authority.com Review (Early 2005)
$anch3z Review (Forum member - comparison with Dell 1905FP-8ms)

Advanced tests:

Click here

User Comments:

TOM’S HARDWARE: “Calibration was no sweat for the 913N - 95% of the colors were perfect, a really excellent result. In the dark colors, the DeltaE was never above 2.4 - only VA monitors have been able to boast that kind of performance until now……the panel's uniformity is very good. With office applications, we found the Samsung monitor less sharp than its competitors. It's a shame there's no DVI input, which would have helped reduce that problem. But though text is slightly less sharp, it's still perfectly legible. You'll be able to use this monitor for office applications occasionally with no difficulties.

As you've gathered, games are the area where the 913N is most at home. The images are very fluid (for an LCD); you won't find better performance on the market. The colors are bright, so playing FarCry or Half-Life 2 on this monitor is very pleasant. Beyond the natural immersion the large screen size offers, the depth of the black adds to the atmosphere of murky, gloomy games, especially Doom 3. For video, on the other hand, the situation is still as bad as it was for the previous two models. The viewing angles are very narrow and video noise is still present.”

BEHARDWARE: "Delta Tracking and color spectrum (show) great results. Viewing angles are, however, lower than average for screens equipped with TN panels. Vertical viewing angles (from the top or bottom) are usually smaller, but horizontal ones can be satisfactory. The low level of afterglow is slightly less than in AU 16 ms (17") panels....Afterglow is sufficiently low to satisfy the most demanding gamers. As soon as resolution is reduced, lack of sharpness considerably increased afterglow. If it not at all bothersome in 1280 x 1024, it’s barely tolerable in 1024 and below."

PC Authority.com: “It’s image quality is superb in just about every regard, although we would have preferred slightly sharper and crisper text. The brightness and contrast ranges are great (sometimes we found the display too bright), but for video and gaming it is excellent.”

EDZ: "Played CS:S last night for a couple of hours and didn't notice any problems, colour and contrast seemed perfect after a little fiddling with the settings. My only gripe is with the Driver disk as it doesn't seem to auto install.....Gaming was fine, slight blurring now and again but to be honest hardly noticable and certainly wouldn't effect your game (although UT2004 might be a different story)

DVD - I wouldn't reccommend this monitor for them as it's pretty poor. What most impress's me about this monitor is it's weight and strength. Eveything appears very solid. Metal stand which is a doddle to fit It really looks like a decent peice of hardware."

BUZZA: "I found the colour and sharpness of the display very crisp, and in World of warcraft, it looked so sharp. As for ghosting, its next to negligable, at its worst was when you have white text on a black background and it dims slightly when you scroll down it, in WOW I couldnt see any problems. My only gripe (minor) is with the viewing angles, it seems pretty good, if you move side to side, but on the vertical, the brightness changes ever so slightly, even if you just sit up straight and then slouch."

9671: "Well a successful game of UT2004, Halflife 2 and Doom 3 with Vsync on seems to work great. No ghosting at all. Nice view size and a great TFT in and out."

ELYSIUM: "It's absolutely wonderful for gamers - and hardcore gamers will have no problems with this. I play CoD / UT2004 / Q3 / CS regularly and its been just one great experience all throughout. The *only* concern I have - and this seems to be a for all 1280x1024 19" LCDs is that if your coming from, in my case, a 19" CRT you might end up finding that text looks and feels 'different' to the way that it did on your CRT.....you feel that the text is not as 'round'.. or nicely shaped as it was on the CRT. The reason I mention this is that *maybe* those who consider themselves not hardcore gamers and who want a *full* experience of both day-to-day text/net browsing + gaming might put some thought into opting for a good 17" 1280x1024 LCD."

FISH99: "I've just recieved my SM913B today, so I can comment a little on VGA vs DVI (samsung only, not in general) and how good the VGA on the SM913N should be, assuming it's the same quality as the one on the 913B (certainly should be). Honestly, there's virtually no difference between the DVI and VGA. The VGA is very sharp, the text is very sharp. There's no noise. The colours are fine. I was expecting the VGA to look a lot worse, but it doesn't, it's as near as makes no difference to identical. If I were buying another Samsung TFT to make a dual screen setup, I would probably go with a 913N for my 2nd screen now instead of another 913B and save myself some money."

LEMONZEST: "The games I mostly play are as follows, in no particular order: Serious Sam FE/SE, Quake III, Quake II, and two doom based games: SkullTag and Zdaemon. Really vivid clear colours in all games, especially serious Sam and quake III. 0% ghosting that I can detect and I am really picky when it comes to these kind of things. No smearing on textures/bitmaps, in fact it brings out detail's/colours I have not seen in these games before. On a black screen and in the dark, the black does look a little washed out, I can notice four small white points in each of the corners but only small (no bigger than 5mm) and a little bleed on the left hand side of the monitor, unnoticeable in normal use.

The image is VERY sharp, the text is very readable with no blurring on the edges at all. I use cleartype and cleartype settings wizard at a setting of 1 (bar fully left). I can see no difference in sharpness at either 60hz or 75hz. I run the panel at 1280x1024x32 @75Hz for all of the games. This is a great monitor after calibration, the auto settings MagicBright, the only one that is close to my current calibration is the Internet Setting. I have my settings as the following: Brightness 50%, Contrast 85%, Gamma Mode 3, Colour Tone Normal....And I loaded the supplied AutoPatten.exe and pressed the AUTO button. This monitor is only VGA, but even though it is an excellent connection I don’t think it would be possible to get any better.

The vertical viewing angle is the worst of the two angles, but not saying that it is bad, took me a about 10 mins sorting out the tilt angle of the base and now I rarely see any problems, only some times going brighter/darker when looking at the upper/lower parts of the screen, I don’t notice this in games. No problems at all with the horizontal viewing angles, the picture is clear from almost any angle. Only turning a little yellow at extreme angles."

Man of Honour
OP
Acer AL1916W
19" Widescreen. 1440 x 900 resolution, 8ms Response Time, 500:1 Contrast Ratio, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 150/130 viewing angles, VGA connection only
Tilt Adjustment

1916.jpg

The Acer AL1916W has become widely popular filling the rather empty 19"WS sector and also offering a very competitive price. As with many of the 19"WS market, the AL1916W is based on an 8ms TN Film panel from Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), the M190A1. In real terms, the screen offers performance relative to many of the other 8ms TN Film models, including those in the 4:3 aspect sector like the Samsung 913N and Hyundai L90D+ for instance. The screen is characterised by its TN Film technology, and viewing angles and movie playback are somewhat restrictive. However, the WS format is nice for movie and TV show viewing and as long as you're only planning on using the screen yourself from head on, viewing angles are not really a major issue. Gaming is adequate, with the screen receiving a lot of positive feedback from users. If you want to get a WS monitor and are on a budget, this is a very good choice. A couple of things to be wary about, the WS resolution is not supported by all games, some might be ok with 'hacks' (see here) but some will only run in 4:3 aspect ratio, resulting in borders down the sides. The screen does not have a DVI connection which some people may find off-putting, but the quality of the VGA connection is reported to be very good.

Official Acer Spec

Reviews:

Neoseeker Review (Dec 2005)
Widescreengamingforum User Review (BlueFish - Nov 2005)

User Pictures:

< Click Here >

User Comments:

REDDEATHDRINKER: "Played a lot of Counter Strike:Source on this monitor, along with FS2004 and Far Cry. No noticeable ghosting is apparent in any of these games, which I'm running of a 9700Pro at the moment. Fortunately, the 1400*900 native resolution of this monitor is catered for by all my games so far....(Unreal Tournament Sample Video) Very, very slight ghosting when there is white movement on a black background, but not really that noticeable to be honest. I play a lot of games - the widescreen gives FPS games a nice, wide field of view, and for less than £200 inc delivery, I would recommend this to anyone with a tight budget to consider, or someone who wants dual-screens.

No noticeable backlight leakage in normal room conditions, very slight "blooming" round the edges if you look at it in a totally dark room. Running at 60Hz, with Cleartype on, the panel is nice and sharp for both images, video and text. I watch a lot of both films and digital TV on this screen, and I have found no cause for complaint yet. The 16:10 aspect ratio plays movies with only a small black bar top and bottom, and 4:3 shows with vertical bars either side."

AK!TA: "I already had the Samsung 913N, which I was impressed with, but wanted a good but cheapish widescreen, with a view to a Duel Monitor setup!!! I to had my doubts about this Monitor but all were totally unfounded. Already tried it on DoD Source and Bf2.... not a single problem, no blur or ghosting. Games look much better in Widescreen and more natural.... well impressed for the price and its also a nice size. I will definitely be getting another for my Duel setup."

WELLIBOB: "Ive just ran a few tests on the Acer 19" , and i can report the lower resolutions are very good indeed. Of course the native resolution is the best, as with all tft/lcd screens. Seems to me, the newer range of tft/lcd screens are able to handle different resolutions with much more ease."

RAVEN8472: "Gaming, Halflife 2 and Call of Duty 2 look amazing along with the new tomb raider , the response time really help no visible ghosting. Most of my games support the native 1440x900 resolution and after some config file hacks got call of duty in widescreen native res. I have been trying to adjust the contrast and brightness and the default settings are too bright , I've got mine on around the 34-45 mark and seems to help, on a pure black screen , use pixel buddy very little noticeable backlight bleed, but less apparent once i had adjusted the contrast and brightness. Viewing angle is pretty good , but screen is is a corner an viewed straight on but viewing from the side is still good for a TFT but you start to get the hazing ( but this is still in acceptable). Watching DVDs does seem to be overall good, but cant help to notice small imperfections and a very slight washed out look on some , tried some of the HD content trailers around and they seem very good....If I force myself to be critical only thing that I could say is the DVD side of things could be little sharper( maybe the lack of DVI - No height adjustment just a tilt function which seems tight."

NEOSEEKER: "One thing that stands out immediately about this monitor is the high build quality. While it comes in at a very low price, the materials and assembly of the enclosure do not reflect this whatsoever. The plastic used over the entire body is very solid and has a slight grain to it, lending a nice sheen that does not come across as chintzy. All of the different moulded parts are snug with each other, and there are no unsightly gaps or misaligned plastic to mar the overall feel. The buttons for controlling the On Screen Display are fairly solid and provide a decent enough 'click' to not cause headaches adjusting the monitor.

...After many long sessions of gaming with this monitor we could not perceive any problems with image streaking. The right and left side of the monitor are somewhat brighter than than the rest of the screen, and it's clear that the backlight is leaking through in an area roughly under an inch on either side of the screen. While this is not noticeable in brighter games and movies, it does become apparent in dimly lit scenes and games which are predominantly dark, such as F.E.A.R. and Doom 3. Also having an effect on screen uniformity is the only-okay viewing angle. While it does not cause problems in gaming or other motion sequences, as colours stay relatively true, there is some noticeable falloff and colour shifting when viewing a plain desktop screen from different angles.

(Compared with the Dell 2005FPW) What becomes immediately apparent when looking at the two monitors side by side is the different colour quality of the two monitors. While the Acer has a slightly washed out palette, the Dell maintains vibrant, full colours across the entire width of the screen. Colour uniformity is quite good on the Dell monitor, and noticeably stronger than on our Acer display. There is no apparent ghosting, and the monitor has slightly better black performance. The monitor does not come close to being as bright as the Acer, but in turn, gives much more vibrant colours.

(Running X-Box 360 at 720p HD) Though the AL1916W's native resolution is 1440 x 900, playing at 1360 x 768 was just fine. The Xbox Dashboard does not looks as crisp as it might were it running at the monitors standard resolution, but it is still well within the range of accepted sharpness. Playing the 360 on this monitor is more than comfortable for extended periods, and is definitely playable from up to five or six feet away. We had no issues in relation to the image not being large enough. Even high-paced 4 player matches of Perfect Dark Zero are playable, although they will be physically tight, as most people will only be comfortable sitting two or three feet away from the screen. The one issue we came across was in Project Gotham 3, but this is more a reflection on the game than the monitor. Because PGR3 up-scales its image from only 600p when running widescreen resolutions, menus when viewed up close look slightly blocky and appear to have artifacting issues in the text that scrolls across each option. In game, this translates into jaggies popping up primarily on the car models themselves, detracting rather severely from the otherwise fully convincing (and by convincing, I do mean photo-realistic in the sense of tricking the eye for brief moments of time) environments. This has a reflection on the screen in that some screens tend to hide these jaggies better than others."

==================================
Sony HS95P
19inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 12ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 450cd/m2 brightness, 170/170 viewing angles. VGA and DVI connections, limited tilt functionality

sony_hs95p.jpg

The Sony HS95P is the larger version of the HS75P. While the specs are very impressive, it is not wise to rely entirely on them. When this model was first released it was marketed as “the ideal gaming companion” because of it’s quoted 12ms response time. However, this screen is based on an MVA panel manufactured by Fujitsu and this quote has since been removed. In fact, this screen is far from the ideal gamers companion, being actually quite poor at fast moving images.

While the 17” version, the HS75P is a good model for gaming, I would certainly avoid the 19” version for the same purpose. It is debatable as to whether the 12ms quoted response time is an accurate measurement, and even if it were, this is only the fastest transition and the response time across the entire grey range is likely to be much slower. The ‘Game’ setting on the monitor can help reduce ghosting a little as it increase the brightness and contrast settings, but the panel is still fundamentally quite poor for fast images.

The HS95P offers some good colour reproduction is good for static images however. The aesthetics are nice, but it has very limited functionality with only a slight tilt function and a lack of features like pivot / rotate. It uses Sony’s X-Black technology, which offers some improvements in image quality, thanks to the filter and technology they have incorporated into the display. However, the screen can appear quite reflective so bare this in mind.

Official Sony Spec

Reviews:

BeHardware Review (June 2005)

Pictures:

< Click Here >

[Advanced Tests:

< Click Here >

User Comments:

BEHARDWARE: “The only really new trick is: an automatic sensor to adjust the brightness. The problem is that we didn’t find it very efficient. Playing in the dark or with the light switched on hasn’t changed the brightness: 294 cd/m² for the first case and 295 cd/m² for the second. Switching the lights on or off considerably reduced the panel mirror effect. Its gamut is very close to the sRGB colorimetric space (shows good colour depth). Compared to this space, we usually find a little weakness in the blue compensated by a good green level. The DeltaE graph is better than any of the five reference monitors (see colour reproduction graph above)

At night, with no other light sources than the monitor, the image is superb, without reflection and has almost complete viewing angles. The 170° claimed are accurate this time. Colors are in fact perfect until 130° for vertical and horizontal viewing angles, then beyond they tend to get lighter but it is still very good. In daylight, the panel reflects surrounding lights. The viewing angle will depend on how your lighting reflects on the monitor. In the end, it will be much lower.

The result is comparable to the quality obtained with the ViewSonic VP191b: it is better than average but there is still some work to do in order to let the user choose any of the resolutions to work. The quality is immediately reduced as soon as we leave the native mode. (Gaming: ) It is the biggest disappointment: the afterglow is really present on this monitor and it is just barely better than 25 ms MVA monitor. Blurred areas due to traveling are so strong that we were disturbed even with World of Warcraft, which doesn’t require a fast reaction time. Of course, if you are caught up in the game, you may not pay attention to this problem. However, as soon as the character is passive, for example while traveling, it is possible to see disruptions on the sides of the objects which don’t appear with very fast TN and MVA panels. It is even worse with FPS games. We don’t advise you to use it with this type of game. It is getting worse. If VA monitors so far meant good quality for video, this one features, like the TN monitors, a strong twinkling effect. Colors are superb but pixels are moving and it is quite annoying.”

TOM'S HARDWARE: "Sony's design expertise in no longer in doubt. The SDM-HS95P is a work of art, with a finish that's irreproachable. The materials are a blend of matte black plastic and steel for the base. It's really a magnificent object, and there's no doubt that the looks of Sony's products are what account for a good share of its sales. The buttons are easy to access, despite their being placed under the panel so as not to mar the looks of the SDM-HS95P. Sony could be criticized for its panel tilt system, which doesn't provide a lot of stability. You adjust the tilt of the SDM-HS95P's panel by pushing on it, which causes the metal stand on the back to slide. It maintains its position thanks to a powerful spring, but in certain positions, stability is not ensured.

The Sony SDM-HS95P demonstrated good fidelity. Colors were attractive, and the X-Black filter improves the image's contrast. Colors were not accurate by default, but a good calibration straightened everything out. Unfortunately, few people can afford a calibrator - it's a shame that the SDM-HS95P wasn't correctly adjusted by default. Uniformity was average, and no more. Fortunately, the upper part of the panel showed the same lighting deficit as the lower part. In actual viewing, we saw few halos of light. Yes, the SDM-HS95P is good for office applications if you choose the right profile. The colors were vibrant and the contrast was visibly increased by the X-Black filter. But the filter still turns the screen into a mirror when displaying video....Video is still an area to avoid.

Readings have dropped from 130 ms of latency in the worst case on the SDM-HS94P to 50 ms on the SDM-HS95P. Some improvement...But it's still pitiful - there's just no other word for it. And why? Because Sony insists on staying with moribund technological choices. You can look at the latency profiles of all the Sony monitors tested here at Tom's Hardware over the past year, and it's systematically the same profile. Latency explodes when the color range is narrow. It's high time that Sony realizes that this technology is hell for gamers. The panels are just too slow, and all the optical filters in the world can't change that. This technology is just not suited to users' requirements."

CAFF: “Awful ghosting in games and 3d packages that I use to model with. It is particularly bad with strongly-coloured edges, you can see like a massive blur. In FPS games everything is blurry, unless you're sniping obviously in which case it's all fine

DAZZ.WALLACE: “I am not much of a gamer so it doesn't bother me much but I tried UT2004 before I posted earlier and I couldn't notice any ghosting in that. My screen has a uniform brightness and seems ok in video.

GAZZAMCG: “Any game I play, Pro Evo 4 , Counter Strike, Joint Operations, Delta Force etc…. I have ghosting. The ghosting is not so bad when the preset is set to "game" mode and it is hardly noticeable to be honest, but when it is on "pc" mode the ghosting is really bad, and I don’t want to set it to "game" mode every time I play a game, because sometimes it is too bright.”

CALWEN: “It surely displays more ghosting than any other 12ms but it's nothing major at all. The image is sharp and clear and very relaxing for the eyes. I am normally pretty picky with this kind of stuff but I must say I am pretty satisfied of this screen and as far as I know I haven't found a screen with such a high brightness and contrast ratio and such amazing color display.”

Man of Honour
OP
Samsung 930BF
19 inch. 1280 x 1024 resolution, 4 ms G2G response time, 700:1 contrast ratio, 270 cd/m2 brightness, 160/160 viewing angles.
DVI and VGA connections, tilt function, black bezel design

Samsung_930BF.jpg

The Samsung 930BF is the updated version of the very popular Samsung 913N/B. Samsung have kept the design, but tweaked the TN Film panel used in the 913N/B and used some more aggressive overdrive to boost grey to grey response times. The new LTM190EX-L21 panel offers a 4ms response time to rival that of the 4ms AU Optronics panel which has been used in models like the Viewsonic VX924 already. This is obviously a screen aimed primarily at the gamers market, and expect some sacrifices in other areas including viewing angles and movie playback. There is perhaps a slightly improvement in fluidity when compared with the 8ms generation, but the overdrive only extenuates noise in movies. If you're looking for a fast gaming screen, then this would be a good choice. It's nice to see some more black designs emerging too, but the 19" market is becoming quite saturated with TN Film panels. They might have a hard time keeping up with MVA / PVA panels in most areas except price.

Official Samsung Spec

Reviews:

BeHardware Review (June 2005)
X-Bit labs Review (Dec 2005)
ModTheBox Review (August 2005)
Dreamware Computers Review (Sept 2005)
Techtastic Review (Sept 2005)
Tweakzone Review (Sept 2005)

Advanced Tests:

Click here

User Comments:

BEHARDWARE: "If the number of reproduced colors wasn’t 16.2 million, we would have even doubted the panel's technology. The contrast ratio is really 700:1 (with the white at 210 cd/m² and 0.3 cd/m²), but colors aren’t accurate. This isn’t catastrophic, however. For example, black is dark but not a true black. Also, other colors are slightly inaccurate being a little too cold (with a predominance in blue).

You can immediately see that it's indeed a TN panel with the lower viewing angle almost equal to zero and the image immediately darkening. From each side and above the image is still good at 40°, but after this brightness changes, being less homogeneous and ambient light reflections start to appear. (Interpolation) Quality is strictly identical to the VP191b and slightly above average. But we are still far from the expected result. As usual, only work and play games in standard mode, otherwise images are blurred. For this 4ms, performance was excellent! It's much faster than the previous 8 ms, which is obvious in clone mode. There is an improvement, but it isn’t the revolution we expected. The most finicky users will still notice some afterglow. Once again, its perception depends on the user. It definitely exists, but only bothers a minority. As usual with TN panels, and especially for Samsung, there is a strong twinkling effect in videos. This is not the strong point of this monitor, all the more so that the lower viewing angle is very small."

TOM'S HARDWARE: "The design of the 930BF is fairly nondescript; its black shell gives it a restrained look. The quality of the assembly is good, but nothing to write home about. The panel has a tilt adjustment, and that's all. The colors were very nice. It really looks as if accelerated TN+film is catching up with accelerated MVA. The black level is very good. The brightness is still high, but better than on most LCD panels. The contrast is excellent. Contrast was also very stable, varying less than 10% over the entire brightness range. That's a very good result. Even though all the values were fairly close together, the profile wasn't good at all. When screening a very dark image, a good number of halos of light were visible, especially at the lower left corner. They'll be visible in the black bands when screening letterbox movies, which is a disappointment.

(Latency)...The accuracy is just not there, and in this case, video noise is the result. On the other hand - and the graph doesn't show this - the fall time is often under a millisecond, which means that a white object on a dark background, like a mouse cursor, won't leave the slightest trail. That's an enjoyable experience, and ultimately the 930BF is even a little more responsive than the VP191b. But at what cost? With its excellent contrast and relatively well-calibrated brightness, the 930BF is a good monitor for office applications. Video games are another area where it excels. Provided, obviously, that players aren't too demanding about color rendering in their games, because transitions generate chromatic aberrations on the contours of moving objects. So is that really so bad, you're asking? Yes and no. It's a little like the three fine lines that hold the matrices of Trinitron CRT monitors in place. You don't notice them until somebody points them out to you, but once they do it's all you see. One way to attenuate the phenomenon is to set the vertical refresh rate to 75 Hz. That may seem odd, but it works relatively well on monitors where the electronics specify Overdrive as a percentage of the scan time and not as a set duration. Video was the big disappointment with the 930BF. The viewing angles are fairly wide, but the video noise was unacceptable. So forget about video."

X-BIT LABS: "If we don’t count in the black-white-black transition, the full response time of this monitor is as low as 7 milliseconds! Alas, this impressive result was achieved through inadequate means, in my opinion. You can see that the error amounts to tens of percent, which is just horrible. As a result, a white trail is perfectly visible even in Windows desktop applications when you’re dragging a window (especially at low contrast and brightness settings), not to mention in movies or games. You don’t have to look for this effect; it is perfectly visible at ordinary use of the monitor and leaves a nasty impression at work as well as in games.

As for the static image, these two monitors do not differ much from many other models on TN+Film matrixes. The monitor reproduces color gradients without any obvious problems; the viewing angles are ordinary for this matrix type (which is another way of saying that the vertical viewing angle is too small). The backlighting is not strictly uniform: narrow, but clearly visible light streaks can be seen on a black background along the edges of the screen even in normal daylight. Well, this is not an untypical thing for TN+Film, either."

JMSMITH: "The 19" model. The viewing angle is brilliant on it. No loss in quality as you move your head around the monitor. It was really easy to set up and came with the DVI and analogue monitor cables."

DREAMWARE COMPUTERS: "With a speed like 4ms it is nearly impossible to say that you see any ghosting or image problems Even when I tested a monitor from Samsung with an 8ms response time, I found that was fast enough that everything I tested looked just fine. I'd like to touch briefly on a feature I found in the menu of this monitor called "MagicColour". This is a colour enhancement feature built right into the monitor, and when I turned it on the difference was quite noticeable. The colour of the image that was on my monitor was suddenly much more brilliant and "lively" looking. Everything from games to movies to just regular use looked superb. There was no ghosting that I could find at all. When the MagicColour feature is enabled, as I mentioned above, the overall monitor colour was much more vibrant."

SHMO: "Got my SyncMaster 930BF this morning and it really is a nice upgrade over my old SyncMaster 957MB CRT. Much sharper picture despite a higher dot pitch and the colours are at least on a par straight out of the box without any configuration. Have played some CS:S with it which was very pleasant, no hint of ghosting and the picture was a lot sharper and more vibrant than the old CRT which looked dull side-by-side in clone mode. The base doesn't appear to be adjustable beyond the forward/backward tilt."

LOONYONE: "Got my Samsung SM930BF today just a slight hint of backlight bleed as Shmo says but apart from that love it. No dead pixels good looking solid monitor and easy to use and easy set up too. No ghosting, blurring etc while playing games and DVD looked very rich in colours. Came with 2 and a 3 pin power leads both analogue and digital cables."

DURGE: "Appearance/Design - Very pleasing to the eye. Nice stand, maybe not as nice as the Viewsonic's VX range or the LG, but there are far worse looking stands. Case is mainly black with a silver band round the outside to match the stand. Stand appears to be sturdy and easy to attach. Colour - Colour not 100% accurate, but easily calibration using the Monitor Calibration Wizard as you will know. Mine show a slight predominance in red upon booting with the factory settings which was very apparent when I loaded the splash start up screen for Doom3 and various other programs. Display Quality - Despite colour only just being slightly red to begin with the colours and text are very crisp and certainly are a lot sharper than my old CRT. I am connected via DVI so don't know what analogue is like. Overall I am happy with the strength of the display with everything so clear and crisp and no sign of blurring using windows.

Games - Tested Doom3, X2 & Farcry. Fantastic response, and considering I am a guy coming from a 19"CRT I did not notice any blurring or ghosting at all. Doom3 Looks good in the dark and although an absolute black is still very close. Also due to the quality of the Sharpness of the picture playing those 3 games was far more visually enjoyable than using a CRT."

=====================================

Man of Honour
OP
i would probv say Viewsonic 910 for gaming, prob best bet for gaming but if you're a serious gamer, get a top 17inch model i would think

Back
Top Bottom