**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Soldato
glitch said:
Thanks for the reply, Baddass. Forgot to mention it needs to be an 8-bit, 16.7m colour panel.

Does that narrow my choices down?

I'm not Baddass but I hope I can help :)

It does, unfortunately. The vast majority of monitors in this market now use a TN panel which only offers 6-bit colour depth

The Viewsonic VP930 has an 8-bit panel but it is expensive. If you can find it, the Dell 1905FP has an 8-bit panel and it was only about £150 before it was discontinued. Unfortunately, the replacement only has a 6-bit panel. The Samsung 970P also has an 8-bit panel

Soldato
Sorry gents, totally forgot to post and say thanks for your help. Have decided that for once I'll buy the 'rents what they need and not what I think they want, so I'll go for something cheap and cheerful.

Associate
Hi There,

I have recently got hold of the Acer AL1916W, and I was hoping to use this forum for some advice.

Although the specs state that the screen is only capable of 60 Hz, I have forced it to run at 75 Hz and it plays games so much better for it (running in the native 1440x900 - luckily I stumbled accross UT2004.ini that allowed me to force this).

My question is this:

Am I damaging the monitor in any way, shape or form by running it at 75 Hz?

I have set it back to 60 Hz for saftey's sake as I don't wanna risk shortening the life of a great screen I went with on a budget.

Many thanks guy's, please respond with any comments you have.

P.S - Great thread by the way, never thought to check out this forum for such great write up's as these... I did'nt even realise people like you existed!

WELL DONE THAT MAN!

Last edited:
Associate
bluetech said:
P.S - Great thread by the way, never thought to check out this forum for such great write up's as these... I did'nt even realise people like you existed!

WELL DONE THAT MAN!

Completely agree .....

I bought my VP930 because of this thread and I couldn't be happier with it !!

Cheers Baddass !!

Man of Honour
OP
thanks for the kind words guys :)

bluetech - no harm in running the TFT at 75Hz, and it can help improve fps if you're using vsync. One thing to note is that the panel is designed to function at 60Hz though as an optimum. Check out the section here about refresh rate :)

Back
Top Bottom