**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Man of Honour
OP
although the spec is listed at 20ms (as is everywhere tbh) it might be the 8ms, it might be the 20ms. You dont know until you get it, but a few people who bought from OcUK recently got the 8ms edition :)

Associate
Seems a bit poor that, why don't they change the model numbers! It seems a fairly fundamental thing to me the actual panel!

EDIT: Also badass (or anyone else for that matter), how would you say the VGA connection on the DELL 1905FP is? ANANDTECH didn't seem to like it, but so far this is just about the only bad thing I've read about this monitor, ANANDTECH didn't even notice ghosting and it is only supposed to be 20ms (that particular review). The reason I ask about this VGA is that's all we have on the PC right now (not a good graphics card), but at least it'll give me an opportunity to update later on.

If I do see interference problems etc, would getting a VGA to DVI converter make a lot of difference?

EDIT 2: Actually, is it possible to have VGA to DVI converters? There's two at That competitor I'm not allowed to mention but surely it has to change the signal from analogue to digital?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

The VGA to DVI adaptors you are talking about go in the opposite direction. They take the analogue component of the DVI-I signal in your graphics card and place it on a standard 15-pin D-type analogue connector.

If you don't play games you can get a Radeon 7000 with DVI for about £20 or so - it's definitely worth it

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
Hi

The VGA to DVI adaptors you are talking about go in the opposite direction. They take the analogue component of the DVI-I signal in your graphics card and place it on a standard 15-pin D-type analogue connector.

If you don't play games you can get a Radeon 7000 with DVI for about £20 or so - it's definitely worth it

Ah right ok then.

Associate
Just got my Vx924 viewsonic 19".

Its awsome in games and is a marked improvement over my 17" tft.

Its fine watching DVD's however it was a lot better in games. Im sure there would be better TFT to watch films on. As i only wanted this to play games on im more than happy. :D

Many thanks for the tips and advice Badass,

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Associate
Recommendations?

hi.
i'm after a budget monitor, a couple have turned up on ebay, the Dell E196FP and a Viewsonic VE910. I'd be using it for Photoshop, and games as a minor 2nd. Which would be best? or is there another (aroung the £200 mark) that's better?

cheers!

Soldato
Baddass you reckon you can review the Samsung SM-960BF. I'm very interested in it and naturally I would like to hear user opinions first. If you could review it or you already have, and point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it :)

Man of Honour
OP
BlackWidow, both the Dell E196FP and Viewsonic VE910 are using 8ms TN Film panels which is about what you can expect for £200. Tbh though, the Samsung 913N is one of the best screens you can get for the price range, and offers some excellent gaming performance as well as excellent colour reproduction. I would recommend taking a look at that if i were you.

eh?, I will try and get some info together on the VX922. It's based on a slightly updated version of the AU Optronics panel that was used in the VX924 and the overdrive control has been more aggresively applied to help boost response time even more. In real use it isn't really much different from the VX924 and while that model is still available, and at a much cheaper price, it might be worth looking at instead, unless you really need to have the latest spec on paper

eSSBass, again, ill try and get a bit of info specifically about the Samsung 960BF. It uses the same 4ms Samsung TN Film panel as the 930BF so have a read through the details for that model to guage the performance. Apart from that, the design and ergonomics are the only change really, just another options, but a very good panel for the gaming market :)

Associate
Baddass said:
BlackWidow, both the Dell E196FP and Viewsonic VE910 are using 8ms TN Film panels which is about what you can expect for £200. Tbh though, the Samsung 913N is one of the best screens you can get for the price range, and offers some excellent gaming performance as well as excellent colour reproduction. I would recommend taking a look at that if i were you.

thanks for the advice Baddass :)

Associate
Thanks for all the excellent information in this thread guys; it has been a really informative read.

I wondered if someone could point me in the direction of the monitors that I should be looking at for my requirements?

My machine is mainly used for programming and spreadsheet work hence I will be going for 2 screens to extend the desktop. This being the case, I was ideally after monitors with thin bezels so they can be as close together as possible. I don't do much in the way of gaming but I do like to play from time-to-time so want monitors that can cope. In terms of films, it's rare that I watch them on the PC but I like to have the option of doing it without having to put up with terrible quality.

So, I guess I actually want the impossible :D , but in terms of priority I am after 2 x 19" screens with thin bezels for windows app's, games and DVD's. What would you all recommend??!

Associate
Thanks AJ. The 930 does look good but I am not a huge fan of it's tripod style base and I am also still unsure as to why it costs soooo much?

/edit: Had a look at the full spec' sheets on the site and see that it costs more because of the better pannel and the fact that it is aimed at 'professional' users. Shame, why do I always end up looking at the most expensive models :( ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not a fan of the base either really - there are more attractive monitors around.

The reason for its price is the panel used. It's an MVA panel and these are a lot more expensive than their TN panel equivalents, found in most 19" monitors. These panels offer better image quality, true 8-bit colour depth, far superior viewing angles and smoother video playback.

TN panels, on the other hand, only have a 6-bit colour depth and can show noisy video playback

The Dell 1905FP is also worth considering. You can either get the 20ms panel or the 8ms panel (the same panel used in the VP191b). Both panels are true 8 bit panels with all of the benefits of the VP930 and it's a fair bit cheaper. The only thing is that if you get the 20ms panel it's a little slow for gaming (I had a 25ms ViewSonic and it ghosted badly). If it's only occasional gaming and not fast paced (ie no FPS games) then it should still be OK, it all depends on how susceptible you are to ghosting

Associate
Thanks again AJ. Games are mainly FPS but I am ao poor at them that ghosting might be a good excuse for me!

The Dell's do look good. Is there no way of specifying an 8ms panel when you order??

Back
Top Bottom