**Baddass' Guide to the 19" TFT Market!**

Associate
Just to say, I went for 2 of the VP930's in the end and they seem to be fantastic! No dead pixels :)D :D) and the bezel is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with the viewing having the screens side-by-side. Thanks again for the solid advice guys.

Associate
OK. Few days into using these screens I thought I'd offer a few comments that I have not seen posted elsewhere.

The VP930 is a fantastic screen but it has clearly been designed with a specific set of end-users in mind.

Many people have asked why these monitors are so expensive and the quality of the panels is usually given as the answer. The pannels are undoubtedly superb but is the uniquely versatile and solid stands that also (I believe) add to the cost. These monitors are height adjustable, can be tilted, twisted and rotated through over 270 degrees. This aims them squarely at the professional market. Most desktop monitors will sit in the same position for years on end but these guys were designed for moving; think of a meeting room PC were various users might want to rotate the screen around or even a demonstration machine were similar flexibility is required.

This is all great except that you might be thwarted if you are getting one of these monitors to free up desk space. The ultra-stable stands have rear support legs as well as the front legs and this means that the monitors cannot be pushed as close to a wall or the back of a desk as say the comparable Dell or Samsung models. I would estimate that they have to be at least 8" further forward which could be a real problem for some users.

These are all round fantastic pieces of kit, but if you are considering buying one then remember that they will take up more desk space that any other 19" monitor. Make sure you take this into consideration.

Associate
Value for money

Tremendous thread and no doubt, it will be a regular feature amongst the forums. :cool:
I'm just wondering however, if there is any way of comparing all the monitors together, with size, value for money, brightness, blah, blah etc, as I believe it would help certain members pick a monitor to their personal choice. Does anyone think this is a good or bad idea? If it's good, then is there someone out there who has the expertise to come up with some type of graph? Anyway, what do you think? :eek:

My choice however, comes down to the basics of cost and £200 isn't much to play about with for a gaming machine (in particular, the game Battlefield2), but maybe someone can come up with something respectable? :o

Manxy

Man of Honour
OP
problem with doing a mass comparison is that with the number of new models emerging all the time, it quickly goes out of date. I keep this sticky regularly updated with the best and most popular models around, and only recently bumped out the 17" models in favour of the 20" market :) Always nice to see big comparisons, but hard to do

as regards to your question, for £200, i really don't think you can go wrong with the Samsung 913N. Fantastic screen and very well priced. A nice responsive panel as well for your gaming needs.

Associate
so, cant there be any roundup at the end like...

budget - gaming - *best screen for this + y*
- speadsheets/word - *best screen for this + y*
- film watching/best viewing angles - *best screen for this + y*

mid range - gaming - *best screen in this area + why*
- speadsheets/word - *best screen for this + why*

high end - gaming - *best screen for this + y*
- speadsheets/word - *best screen for this + y*

im not complaining by the way this guide is fantastic but seen as how you get a lot of questions asking "what would be best for this area" i think a simple table like the one above would complete this guide and make it an absolute stonker!!! =]

edit: or you could just go here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm
sorry my bad :( , but anyhow, now ive highlighted the selector it may help more people!!!

Man of Honour
OP
ah, was going to direct you there :) Would have had something like that, but the industry changes rapidly and would be forever updating it!

Man of Honour
OP
ZUTON said:
Whitch is the better for image display between ViewSonic VX 912B & HannsG HGHW191 :) :) :)

they'll both be pretty comparable in terms of display quality since both are based on similar generation TN Film panels. I doubt an average user would really be able to tell much, if any, difference between the two

Associate
So Baddass what TFT would you go for ViewSonic VX 912B & HannsG HGHW191 ? I guess with the Hanns you can play games in different Resolution

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the HannsG and i must say everything about it is great.

Playing WoW or COD2 everything looks well nice clarity and sharpness

I compared it in the shop to samsungs that were 100€ more expensive and couldn't see any difference really.

I don't think the 19" range has a lot of difference now if you are buying newer models go with a good supplier and look for a long warranty.

Oh and NEVER buy acer their after sales service is a BIG ZERO!! google if it you don't believe.

Associate
Hi

I am after a 19inch+ monitor to watch movies/browse the net. I want it to be able to handle resolutions for HD content.

What are the best monitors I can get for my money?

Not sure on widescreen tho - does it make a difference for normal computer useage?

Man of Honour
OP
mo786 said:
Hi

I am after a 19inch+ monitor to watch movies/browse the net. I want it to be able to handle resolutions for HD content.

What are the best monitors I can get for my money?

Not sure on widescreen tho - does it make a difference for normal computer useage?

well 19"WS and 20"WS monitors can both handle 720 resolution HD content, but dont quite have the vertical resolution to do 1080 content with resolutions only being 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050 respectively. WS would certainly be a good choice if you're using the screen for movies at all, and really is a nice feature to have. For normal windows use it is still very good, i think it would be hard for most WS users to go back to 4:3 nowadays really. This article tells you a bit more about WS monitors and their pros and cons. A 20"WS would be a good choice if you have the budget since you can move away from the TN Film technology panels which dominate the 19" market. Something like the Viewsonic VX2025WM or Belinea 102035W might be a good choice for movie watching, with their P-MVA panels offering wide viewing angles, fast response times, good black depth and low noise in playback. Those two don't break the bank too much either.

Associate
Baddass said:
well 19"WS and 20"WS monitors can both handle 720 resolution HD content, but dont quite have the vertical resolution to do 1080 content with resolutions only being 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050 respectively. WS would certainly be a good choice if you're using the screen for movies at all, and really is a nice feature to have. For normal windows use it is still very good, i think it would be hard for most WS users to go back to 4:3 nowadays really. This article tells you a bit more about WS monitors and their pros and cons. A 20"WS would be a good choice if you have the budget since you can move away from the TN Film technology panels which dominate the 19" market. Something like the Viewsonic VX2025WM or Belinea 102035W might be a good choice for movie watching, with their P-MVA panels offering wide viewing angles, fast response times, good black depth and low noise in playback. Those two don't break the bank too much either.

Thanks - what othe rmonitors are out there that use the latest technology?
I dont really wnat speaker in the monitor and the more slimmer the better.

also am I likely to get lots of blockiness with XVID movies? obviously they are quite low res - will they look poor on such a massive screen?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I'm after a monitor for a Christmas present and I have the following requirements. Are there any monitors that spring instantly to mind as being suitable or am I asking too much?
  • 19" screen (4:3 or widescreen)
  • VGA & DVI connectivity
  • Accurate colour reproduction (once calibrated with hardware unit)
  • Priced at around the £200 mark

Man of Honour
OP
yeah most of them should be ok (see OcUK range) for those specifications i'd say. You can get some models with DVI and vGa, and most offer decent colour accuracy after calibration too :)

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, Baddass. Forgot to mention it needs to be an 8-bit, 16.7m colour panel.

Does that narrow my choices down?

Back
Top Bottom