**Baddass' Ultimate TFT FAQ and Reviews! (20" and Above Models)**

Associate
Baddass, thanks for all your help mate, on both tft central's reviews & this forum. I got a samsung 913b & am well pleased with it, imo it's a dramatic improvement, gaming wise, over my old dell 1905fp (8ms). :D

nice one. ;)

Associate
Hi guys!

At first I want to apologize my poor english, 'cause it sure isn't my native languge :)

I'm looking for 19" TFT and I have two strong canditates - SAMSUNG SyncMaster 193P+ and VIEWSONIC VP930. Both displays have PVA/MVA panel with good 8ms response time, 1000:1 contrast, good viewing angles, pivot, DVI, 3 years on-site warranty and black colour.

Display is going to be used for gaming (all sort of games), graphic design (mostly Photoshop, also Painter, Illustrator, Freehand etc.) and office working (surfing, Word, Exel etc.).

I have readed lot of reviews and opinions about Samsung but about ViewSonic there isn't much to read. I know that ViewSonics previous model (VP191B) was pretty popular and also reviewed here by newbiejim and ocukcustomer.

Which one is better? Or can any of you name better one? I hope that the display fulfills following terms: Costs less than 600 euros (here's finnish price chart), black, fast response time with high contrast (VA monitors only?), manages well with tasks I'm doing (mentioned before), good with colours and as good or better than my two canditates.

Or should I still wait (this display for example)?

Samsung feel that it took them too long to release a fast PVA monitor and that other actors already have successfully released good MVA 8ms. 193P+ production will be stopped in October and it will be replaced by 6ms PVA 970P.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
welcome to OcUK, Lithiumdust :)

Well the VP930 isn't really much of a change from the excellent VP191B, and that isn't a bad thing! The update in the spec is really only a few tweaks to the panel used which is provided by AU Optronics, and is done simply to make sure it stays up to date to compete with the PVA panel offered by Samsung. This is why the specs are the same. In terms if use, both the VP930 and 193P+ should be quite comparable. The 193P+ isn't getting an official release over here in the UK, so make sure that you can get it before you worry about the comparison.

The 2 you have selected are very good choices and should cover all the areas you are looking at. It would be hard to seperate them really, but the VP191B (well, the AUO P-MVA panel) is well established and there is not much info around about the 193P+. If it were me, i think i would stick with the proven Viewsonic model, as the Samsung is a little more unknown, and early reviews of the panel which was used in some models like the Fujitsu-Siemens P19-2, weren't as good.

hth

Associate
Thanks for your quick reply, Baddass :)

193P+ is already released and selling very well in here and VP930 is getting its official release in this month. Prices here in Finland, however, is pretty salty:

Samsung SyncMaster 193P+ costs between 468€ (£315) and 572€ (£385)
ViewSonic VP191B costs between 555€ (£374) and 626€ (£422)
ViewSonic VP930 costs between 573€ (£386) and 669€ (£450)

I think that I'm going for VP930 altough my soul bleeds for that amount of money.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I got a Hyundai L90D+ still getting use to the colours but the size of it is awesome, i had a Iiyama Vis Pro 413 £150 3 years back, which is a great monitor.

I looked at the reviews on tftcentral and it was either this or the samsung 930bf, but the 930bf wasnt in stock at my local computer shop, so i went for the l90d+, not played any games yet, but i know i will love this monitor.

Associate
I've joined the forum late fri evening, [Registration just came through] but have been reading for the past 3 days. Many excellent articles, especially this one on monitors. Big thank you Baddass for your work, its helped me tremendously in choosing my new monitor. I placed an order this afternoon and a Viewsonic VP930. Should be with me by Monday morning. Its going to seem a long weekend waiting.

Associate
Thanks for the welcome Baddass. I certainly will let you know how the monitor fairs. I'll give it a few days to settle in then do a review for you. I've been using a 17" AOC LM 729 for the past two years, and its been an excellent monitor in all areas.

Associate
Baddass what would you currently recommend as the best 17" monitor about?

The three you mentioend on page 16 don't seem to be available (specifically the Samsung one) anymore (although No competitor talk please have the LG, I think).

So are there alternatives that would be just as good (perhaps later models of the same sort of thing?)?

My primary use will be gaming, but I want the image to look quite good too, as it seems a lot of "gaming" monitor's have speed but not much else.

It doesn't really need to have DVI though (if the VGA is good quality).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The Hyundai L72D seems to be good monitor, based on the fact it is an 8ms Samsung panel, but I can't really find any reviews on it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
welcome to OcUK TheStig :)

The Hyundai L72D+ and other monitors based on the 8ms Samsung TN Film panel are pretty much extensions of the Samsung 172X. They updated the panel a little, with improved responsiveness and slightly improved colour reproduction too. Tbh the 17" market is pretty stagnant now, have you considered getting as 19" screen? The extra size is really nice for improved immersion in games, and with models like the Samsung 913N available for £200 i dont see much reason myself in getting a 17" model now.

Associate
Thanks!

Ok so 19".

Do you know of any that offer a good analogue connection as well as DVI? The reason I say this is because a) I want to have some sort of upgradeability in the future and b) I've heard that monitors that offer both generally have poor VGA connections (according to Anandtech this seems to be the case with the Dell 1905FP).

Thanks again.

EDIT: Also, interpolation will be an issue, so any with good interpolation would be nice too please! Thanks!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
well the Samsung 913B has a very good VGA connection while still having DVI. That might be a good option and would be very similar in performance to the 172X etc. Interpolation is generally ok on most screens in gaming, but prob not advisable for Windows use really. The Hyundai L90D+ is also very good, again, the same panel as the 913B / 913N anyway

Associate
Baddass said:
well the Samsung 913B has a very good VGA connection while still having DVI. That might be a good option and would be very similar in performance to the 172X etc. Interpolation is generally ok on most screens in gaming, but prob not advisable for Windows use really. The Hyundai L90D+ is also very good, again, the same panel as the 913B / 913N anyway

Ok, it is just the reviews on your site indicate that those have poor interpolation.

If you see no problems in gaming then that should be ok (I'll be putting an Xbox 360 on it too, when that comes out).

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
well for gaming they should be fine. There aren;t really any TFT's which offer excellent interpolation, they all like to be run at native res :)

Associate
BoomAM said:
Although they probably dont make them anymore, the 172X's have good VGA inputs. :)

No I've looked around and unfortunately they aren't available anymore.

It seems that the 913B is an evolution of that anyway, so I think that's the one.

Associate
First page of this topic, scroll down to "Dead Pixels" and use the link for pixel buddy, I've just tested the link and it offers the file for download.

Back
Top Bottom