1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baffled

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fastwunz, 30 Sep 2009.

1. fastwunz

Mobster

Ok so ive just installed the latest updates from Microsoft for my XP pro installation. However since doing this, my Samsung Lightscribe (model SH-S183L) wont work. It wont read a single CD. Ive updated the drivers and apparently there are no better ones and the firmware too.

It just wont register that there is a disk in the drive.

Its buggered. And im completely stumped as to what to do next.

Ive checked the cabling etc and all is perfect. It was working great just before the latest updates.

Google reveals a few other people with the same problem but little or no fixes.

help please!

2. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Uninstall the updates?

3. fastwunz

Mobster

tried that and nothing.

Its like the drive has simply stopped reading CD's etc - it wont spin up or anything

4. JonJ678

Capodecina

Try it in a different computer/with non-microsoft operating system. 'unetbootin' will make an ubuntu usb stick which you boot from, see if the cd drive works normally under this.

I suspect coincidence: your drive kicked the bucket and you just happened to be installing updates at the same time. That or m$ have messed up somewhat, is the drive under warranty?

5. coupe69

Mobster

Just try booting up from your windows disk, or any bootable cd to take the os out of the equation. This way at least let you know if it's your DVD-RW thats gone belly up, or whether Microsoft have come up with a dvd writer killing update.

6. fastwunz

Mobster

Fantastic advice that man. Just tried it and it wont boot at all. It does not recognise that there is a CD in the drive. Im guessing it has simply died ironically at the same time as my install.

Not a major biggie - ill just get another although if anyone thinks im wrong in my assumption and has other fixing ideas then do please let me know.

Ta

7. fastwunz

Mobster