1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banking question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rotty, 14 Oct 2009.

1. Rotty

Don

Just found out that due to some changes at work at end of month they won't be able to split my salary between 2 accounts as they do at moment

A fixed amount is paid into my LLoyds TSB account every month to cover the house bills

The rest goes into my Yorkshire bank account and pays for the cars and general spends

I want to keep the Yorkshire one as my main account

I was going to set a standing order up from Yorkshire to LLoyds but that may take a few days and leave that account short for some Direct Debits

any suggestions of best way of dealing with this

could I get Yorkshire to set me a new account up and move an amount to that ( I assume this would be immediate )

there are loads of DDs at Lloyds though so it would be a pain to move them all

any ideas ?

2. meghatronic

Capodecina

I do something similar. I now get paid by cheque (!?!?!?!?) every three months (!?!?!?!?x2), so split it between bank accounts. I just have a standing order that I manually use when the cheque has cleared. The money usually hits the accounts as soon as I click confirm (presumably due to the faster payments system). I have the option to automate this on a certain date.... so should suit you?

3. Rotty

Don

it would appear that with my 2 banks it would not be immediate

4. D1ngd0ng

Wise Guy

Banks usually move all you DD for you when you open a new account if you fill out the right form but this can take time

Your bank not upgraded to the quick BACS scheme yet? Know that my bank (Natwest) transfers upto £1k (could be more) in around 30mins to recipient account

5. .Lethal

Soldato

Ring Lloyds, explain the situation.

They can give you a tempoary overdraft (It will last 30 days then revert back to what it was) to cover the Direct Debts. If you don't have financial issues or problems with your bank Lloyds are very good at doing this.

I did similar to this a few years ago and couldn't fault there service and understanding of the situation.

6. Rotty

Don

that would only be a temp solution though

7. Rotty

Don

checked the "faster transfer" tables and it doesn't look good, will ring tomorrow and confirm

8. VoG

Soldato

i'm with Yorkshire as well, if you bank online why not just one off BT tonight to cover any short fall then set up a monthly BT while your about it. Yorkshire BT's are damn quick from my own experience.

9. .Lethal

Soldato

Surely enough time to setup a standing order to transfer the money for next months salary.

A standing order only takes a few days to setup, which is why I suggested a tempoary solution to ensure DD's are paid this month.

10. Rotty

Don

no hurry for this month, normal transfer takes 3-4 days to LLoyds

11. meghatronic

Capodecina

12. Rotty

Don

that says the receiving account can so maybe more investigation needed

13. Rotty

Don

will try a test transfer in morning and see what happens :)