1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banksy and his special status in the graffiti world

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chojin, 15 Jul 2020.

1. Chojin

Wise Guy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53407715

Reading about the latest Banksy which was on a train and is it just me or are his 'artworks' becoming a bit trite?

So he had some good paintings in Bristol in his early days but now everything he does seems a bit too engineered/commissioned to me. Like the artistic equivalent of a panel show or something.

I recently had the side of my house spray painted with graffiti. Somebody committed a crime in my neighbourhood and the police ought to do something about it.

Does Banksy get a free pass for being a national treasure?

2. cheesyboy

Capodecina

If you deface another's property, but in doing so substantially add value to that property, have you actually defaced it at all?

3. jsmoke

Capodecina

He's burning out, losing his edge.

4. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

I find his work boring in all honesty

5. Doobedoo

Mobster

Agreed he’s just an enigma because his identity has never been revealed. I imagine if people knew he was just a spotty faced chav the appeal would disappear immediately.

6. explicit4u

Capodecina

The large tag ruined it imo, if it was just the stencils/masks I'd consider keeping it for the attraction but I believe this goes against TFL's zero tolerance stance on graffiti.

Hopefully it wasn't too difficult to clean.

7. Efour

Caporegime

The act of "installing" the vandalism is 99% of the art on this one, if it's even "him."

Not one of his best.

8. freddie64

Mobster

9. SizEzE

Gangster

Completely sold out. That said I wish I had kept the two pieces I had for awhile longer, the pricing is now insane.

10. Malevolence

Capodecina

Nowt but a vandal.

11. GinGo

Gangster

I never understood the appeal to anything he's done tbh, having said that, i don't really like most art.

12. Rroff

Man of Honour

Have to say I didn't think much of this one and has a commissioned feel to it.

13. .Lethal

Soldato

TFL removed it almost immediately. Pretty sure it wasn't.

14. Minusorange

Soldato

Banksy reminding the world he's just a glorified vandal and showing the hypocrisy between his vandalism being art vs everyone else being vandalism

15. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Most of Banksys grafffiti pieces are political statements, usually anti government incompetence or injustices. Im not surprised a lot of people dont like his works.

16. Hades

Caporegime

He has talent. But so do many other people. I'm genuinely confused as to why his work is worth so much. It's bizarre and has a touch of the Emperors New Clothes.

17. jpaul

Capodecina

Don't mention the war - I'm expecting to see the other new art piece, too, to similarly disappear tonight ? the mayor made the right call.

The banksy New York exhibition was good ? when he failed to sell some on the market, but, nonetheless, the grafitti pieces are a very accessible art form.

edit : and this should still be on a stamp

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jul 2020
  18. koolpc

Capodecina

Graffiti it was and so it should be removed!

19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

For that latest one he should be arrested, blatant vandalism.

20. Mekrel

Soldato

Some of his stuff can be thought provoking, such as the child playing with a NHS worker doll. However, that tag is just as much pointless vandalism as any other tag.

I like how on the BBC they explain that the tag is the same colour as a face mask. That's the most tenuous link I've heard in a while, the last thing I think when seeing that tag is "oh, it's the same colour as a disposable face mask".