1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

barcelona shirt sponsor

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by BigRoger, 9 Jul 2006.

1. BigRoger

Gangster

i know this should be in sport section but i thought i would post it here.

Barcelona have agreed, for the first time in club history, to have a sponsor on the front of their shirt and it will be a UNICEF logo. On top of all that they have offered 0.7% of their yearly turnover to be donated to UNICEF.

So not only have they never accepted the huge amount of cash a shirt sponsor would bring them, now they're actually paying for their sponsor. Previously unseen in world football and such a lovely statement.

2. Morba

Caporegime

link?

3. Docaroo

Mobster

that is pretty awesome I must say...

and tbh they make so much money they dont need a sponsior - very good chaps

4. stigggeh

Mobster

5. cheets64

PermaBanned

:D

edit

damn tried to get you all thinking "Beijing 2008" would be the new sponser :(

6. Wryel

Wise Guy

That's giving up on a lot of cash! Spurs have about 34m over 5 years from Mansion I think, and we're just Yids!

7. Nedved11

Mobster

Was just a matter of time when this was going to happen, glad to see it for a good cause. However, the shirts look so much better without any sponsors.

8. Rotty

Don

why :confused:

9. Ex-RoNiN

Capodecina

I first heard rumours about a new shirt sponsor a year and a half ago, talk was about a £200Million deal (or something similarly ridiculous) with one of the big sports companies.

I am extremely glad that it turned out to be this, fits their image and a great message to everyone :)

10. Karl

Mobster

I might buy a Barca shirt this year. :)

11. Mr_L

Mobster

I think they will make more money than that of this scheme. More people will buy the shirt because of the nice charity logo they have stuck on it. Even with the 0.7% of income they give away turnover will be increased a lot by this.

/cynic

12. NiCkNaMe

Mobster

true, but it'l be a nominal figure compared with what they could potentially earn from a shirt sponsor. Doesn't bother me if its benificial for them, it's certainly going to be nice for UNICEF:)

13. Mr_L

Mobster

I'm not sure it will be nominal. I agree that €2 million is a nice charitable gift, but I'm sure Barcelona will make a lot more off this than the sum they are giving away. :)

14. Jigga

Hitman

well done barca that show what club they are

15. HangTime

Man of Honour

Maybe, but at the end of the day, are the people being helped by Unicef due to that extra revenue really going to care if Barca are making a few quid as well? Something is better than nothing.

16. Mr_L

Mobster

They won't, I was just pointing out that it's smart business by Barcelona. Increased income from shirt sales and a nice bit of PR for them too. :)

17. Mad old tory

Sgarrista

Good to see this from Barca. Agreed they could make a lot of money from this but giving unicef such a large amount of cash is great.

18. Greenlizard0

Man of Honour

I think this is fantastic. 0.7% of the their turnover! That's not a small amount of money!

19. Voltage

Mobster

thats a fantastic gesture, if i was Spanish id defiantely support Barca.