1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargin Hunting

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Dugganator, 2 Oct 2009.

1. Dugganator

Wise Guy

Good afternoon

Right I posted a while back explaining that I had a new job etc and was looking to buy a second hand car for around the 7k mark and asked for suggestions.

Now to be honest I think i've completely changed my mind based on a thread I saw here the other day. Now what i'm thinking of doing is buying something for around the 2k mark. Now my journey to work will be about 70 miles aday so i'm looking for cheap motorway cruiser thats diesel.

Now I know a few of you may think that my idea seems crazy and by all means give your reasons behind your thinking. But my reasons are basically i think if i have something cheap that will do me for a year 18months max in the mean time I can save up for something a little better.

I've spotted some very nice Mondeo's from about £1700-2000 with about 80k on the clock 2000-2002 models. Also seen some Ford Focus for about the same amount of money. Whats the difference between Mondeo's and Focuses. Other then one is bigger then the other :p. They all seem to be about the same other then engine size and trim.

I really dont know if this is a good idea but thought I would let OCUK motor gang cast judgement on my lackless knowledge and correct me at will :D
    If there are any other suggested cars please let me know.

Cheers

2. Dugganator

Wise Guy

Where iaind when you need him lol

Last edited: 2 Oct 2009
  3. mattyprice4004

Soldato

For motorway munching the Mondeo is a great car, just more roomy.

For some reason people on here also like the Rover 75 CDTi for this purpose, which is unusual for OcUK :D

Both great cars and within budget, definitely Mondeo over Focus.

4. monkey_boy

Wise Guy

Only other thing I'd say is to add a little extra and get a Ghia X. The difference is noticable if not only for the seats.

5. Dugganator

Wise Guy

Sweet cheers for the advice ill have a dig and see if i can find some suggested examples.

6. MrFunex

Wise Guy

I ran a TDCi mondeo for about 18 months as a motorway cruiser. Couldn't really fault it. Reliable, smooth, cheap to service and I managed about 50-55mpg on most trips.

Even the base spec ones should have cruise, climate etc. I went for a mondeo over a focus as it seemed easier to get a nice one with a better spec for an (often) lower price. Currently got mine up for sale if you're interested!

7. Dugganator

Wise Guy

I not in the market to get one straight away but if you send me some details you persuade me to dig some cash out of the saving :D

8. MrFunex

Wise Guy

that'd be this one then:

ad

I don't profess to know much about other diesel motorway mile-muchers, but if you've got any questions about the mondeo specifically, just ask!

Last edited: 3 Oct 2009