Base component selection, Ryzen5

Soldato
You can, but it's nearer £120, so more than "half the price of a 3600". Support for Windows 11 potentially an issue with it as well

We can’t talk about competing companies prices, but available for about half, not more.

Id probably delete that post if I was you.

Associate
I think the 1600af was a gen2 ryzen like the 2600 so should be okay as 2000 series are supported but it is a good point and maybe needs clarity from Microsoft as to if its a supported chip

Don
I think the 1600af was a gen2 ryzen like the 2600 so should be okay as 2000 series are supported but it is a good point and maybe needs clarity from Microsoft as to if its a supported chip
As you say In theory should be fine as it's a 2nd gen, but the upgraded advisor was just blindly doing a 1xxx check.

Id probably delete that post if I was you.
Nope it's quite fine, thank you

Don
So we can mention competitors prices now?
No because I've not mentioned a competitor price any more than you have with your "half the price of a 3600" comment?

"around £120" isn't an exact price and doesn't identify a competitor in any way, in the same way you can happily say that "3600 often sell on the MM for around £120"

:confused:

This is off topic though

Associate
OP
I'm not wading into 2000 series as my goal is to be as new as possible hence 3700x, x570 because potential zen3+ and pcie4. Budget went up a bit but not by much.

My, hopefully final, recalculation (comments ?):

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £488.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Thank you all that helped me with this. Parts ordered. Kids will be happy and i will be envious (still running moss covered i7-2600k)... Cant wait for it to croak, otherwise cant justify the expense... :D

Associate
OP
Nice did you go for the 8 core in the end ?

Yes i did. This time i was more interested in getting a better motherboard to be honest. Last time big upgrade was done on a basis of a good cpu (i7-2600k) that i still run today. But since zen is so switcheable i decided to go for a better base to switch into.
8 core was because it was heavily discounted this time. Figured i wont need to worry about replacing it for a good while, while 6-cores are already being phased out.

When my i7 workstation croaks i'll be going the same route - expandable/futureproof mobo and latest'ish cpu, with view to drop in even better cpu in there later.

While Intel had a good long run i was absolutely tied in to that gen without any other options to go through short of replacing ALL base elements of the build (CPU/Mobo/RAM).

Back
Top Bottom