Battlefield 2, patch 1.2

Associate
TBH i didnt really like the patch when it first came out but ive got used to the AA and can usually dodge it most times, but its a hell of a lot harder.

Now if theres anything thats good came out of the patch its the PKM , its like a 100round unscoped sniper rifle when fired in single shot.

At least with the improved accuracy of the support guns people are actually willing to play with the support class.

Permabanned
Do you think I will be able to play on PB servers if I install the patch, I've had the game since release day and still haven't been able to play on Punkbuster servers or else I crash :(

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
Run away? Get cover? Drive away? Man some AA as I was leaving? Accept their deaths for standing right in the bloody open?

If only kneeling on the ground and praying worked :( lol. Planes swoop too low and release bombs, so you're either dead, or very lucky being a footsoldier making a sprint for it.

Associate
Phalanx said:
Do you think I will be able to play on PB servers if I install the patch, I've had the game since release day and still haven't been able to play on Punkbuster servers or else I crash :(

You tried updating your chipset drivers? It worked for me

Soldato
BF2 is a strange one for me. It's a game i so much want to love. I fire it up, join a squad, marvel at the scale of the thing and start to get stuck in. But my initial excitment quickly turns to frustration at the constant dying, the in-accuracy of the infantry weapons (and the weakness), and the lack of team work most of the time.

It's funny. I nearly always end up quitting through sheer frustration after half an hour or so. I'm looking forward to some mods for bf2 though, as i think the engine seems pretty nice and big so there's deinite potential there.

S_D

S_D

Associate
Well for me I think the patch has improved the game considerably. Yes I'm more vulnerable in the air, but at the same time it's easier to take down other's in dogfights. Being able to take out a heli or a plane with an anti-tank rocket is exactly how it'd be in real life and I agree they were owning too much before. I think it is a lot better balanced now, but annoying has introduced a couple of bugs along the way.

Simon.

Permabanned
Killerkebab said:
Inaccuracy of infantry weapons?

Try the PKM. Accuracy International dream they could create weapons this good :D

no dude, even tho that gun is better than it was, he is talking about every gun in the game. they just arent accurate! if the guns were like most other games, stand still, burst 2 bullets they will hit where your aiming. if you spray.. then accuracy is reduced. adding bullet drop to make it appear realistic makes it frustrating as accuracy is not rewarded.

Soldato
I have found certain parts of the new patch greatly improove the game. Other bits are just completely messed up.

Infantry guns now hit, which is great, I got fed up with emptying a round in someones face to hit nothing, and then get killed by one shot from a pistol.

I don't like the way they have gone about fixing jumping + shooting. Its so irritating not being able to shoot now, why couldn't they have kept it in but made it realistic and balanced by giving much greater recoil / less accuracy....
Also the short range GL shots look like an accidently coding error, at point blank range you fire, the nimation goes, then a second later the grenade pops out. Would it have been that difficult just to make it stupid nading people up close by having the GL hurt the person firing it aswell???

I used to really enjoy flying a chopper, but since the new patch has brought in Anti Air that can kill you befoire you leave the ground its just not fun anymore. For the first time ever yesterday I was playing on Ghost Town and not a single person was using aircraft, why??? - because on both bridges leading to the bases where people sat in AA tanks facing towards helicopter spawn points...
Yes we can kill them.... but thats not exactly a long term solution. I have come to the conclusion that Dice do not have any decent ability at coding a game, all the "fixes" are not done very well, done to the opposite extreme in the case of AA.....

/ends rant

Associate
Seem air now needs groundsupport to clear the way... is that unrealistic? Are sam-sites not installed to prevent airplanes to pass? Just curious not sarcastic. And I guess they are not called SAMs these days, probably something else... :)

My problem with the game though is not gameplay.... but rather FPS after the patch :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Curious said:
Seem air now needs groundsupport to clear the way... is that unrealistic? Are sam-sites not installed to prevent airplanes to pass? Just curious not sarcastic. And I guess they are not called SAMs these days, probably something else... :)

My problem with the game though is not gameplay.... but rather FPS after the patch :(

Ground support? HAHAHAH. You expect a team to help you out?

Its every man for himself. That you happen to be on the same team only means you won't shoot anyone wearing the same uniform as you. Sometimes.

Soldato
it's the kind of game where i can imagine it being extremely fun and intense in say a 20vs20 clan match with proper team work and a commander who actually issued squads orders. Most people will never get the chance to play such a match though and have to settle for the hit and miss (mostly miss) tat is public play.

Associate
Well I can relate to the bad experience of not too good teamplay. But I find that if I strive for it, like following my squadleader... or asking for new orders, people tend to start teamplaying.
So I have been able to call in airsupport if a chopper is pinning my team down or getting crate-drops for rearming the antitanks/snipers if we have no support....
MAybe I have just been lucky... But it seem in my experience that teamplay starts with me trying..... Or I try another squad/server... Maybe Scandinavian servers are not too bad? Dunno

Associate
I personally would much prefer the game if they took out the airplanes and left the choppers in !
And voip actually worked in game with your squad members or am I missing something?

Caporegime
snow patrol said:
BF2 is a strange one for me. It's a game i so much want to love. I fire it up, join a squad, marvel at the scale of the thing and start to get stuck in. But my initial excitment quickly turns to frustration at the constant dying, the in-accuracy of the infantry weapons (and the weakness), and the lack of team work most of the time.

It's funny. I nearly always end up quitting through sheer frustration after half an hour or so. I'm looking forward to some mods for bf2 though, as i think the engine seems pretty nice and big so there's deinite potential there.

Im the same way with bf2, its a game that was hyped to high heaven and back but it just does not have the feel of a proper fps game. Out of the bf series bf name to me felt more like a regular fps in terms of inantry weapons (after the m60 was nerfed that is). Bf2 just seems to be unload a magazine at somebody and maybe 2 shots hit. Doesn't usually seem to matter if you fire in bursts singles or spray the chances of hitting anyone seem totally random for the most part.

The vehicles do have a nice feel though, saying that the one thin that has always got up my ass about the bf games is the totally retarded nature of tracked or wheeled vehicles taking damage for bouncing over small hills. You can be motoring along in a tank hit a small bump and for some reason you get damaged becuase the front of tank lifted an inch off the ground. Dice must seem to think that either tanks are made out of glass and are fragile or that they are designed specifically for perfectly flat roads and any humps or bumps will eventually shake the vehicle apart. :rolleyes: 3 games 3 expansions and still that crap is in the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
GlasgowTitan said:
You must be missing something because it works for me.

My squads always stick together, whether im with some mates, or complete strangers. Healing, ammo giving, supportive fire etc. Edit, and thats without using voip.

Back
Top Bottom