BBC Radio producer jailed over sex videoing

Caporegime
Some people need to develop thicker skins.

hate this " I'm offended" culture.

So your offended...so what? Nothing happened, just don't be offended and get over it.

Associate
Harsh maybe, but its not right to record without permission. To much stuff is leaked nowdays, and some people may bleat on about "waaaaa waaa sex is natural waaaa waaa" etc, but it does have implications for someones privacy and future.

It was not consenual.

Associate
I think it goes further than that. There is a sense of undeserved entitlement too. "I'm offended", I'm entitled to demand the person that offended me be suitably punished and I'm entitled to decide what is a suitable punishment. This is then backed up by others, who fear that if they don't back up the offended person, then, they too, will be offending them, with laws being passed as a consequence.

It is literally Polictical Correctness gone mad.

The most important problem is that it dillutes the effectiveness of the Sex Offenders Register, because the more people put on it, for lesser and lesser crimes, the less impact being on it has. At some point, enough of society is on the register, that everyone knows someone on it. At that point, there may as well not be a register.

Some people need to develop thicker skins.

hate this " I'm offended" culture.

So your offended...so what? Nothing happened, just don't be offended and get over it.

Caporegime
Is everyone forgetting he filmed himself having sex with his girlfriends without them knowing?

yeah its creepy and a bit weird but not exactly a big deal if the only person who gets to see the footage is him... he was present there in the first place and I'm sure he could re-play events in his head if he wanted to.. yet having an external record of it is worth a custodial sentence - it isn't an invasion of privacy really as he was there, he's seen them naked - tis just a hard copy of an event he took part in - he deserves a criminal record for it just because they didn't consent to filming and there was a chance the tape might have fell into the wrong hands however I hardly think a custodial sentence is appropriate. Chavs get far less for kicking the **** out of innocent people who happen to pass by thier estate...

Man of Honour
BBC Radio producer jailed over sex videoing, maybe you should offer to help in his appeal. ;)

Until it gets to the higher courts, there's little point. There is a difference between arguing that his sentence is wrong under law and arguing that the law is wrong.

I will never know what we did until the law that made this prosecution possible was introduced in 2003... I mean, how did we possibly manage before the government decided to take responsibility for it...

Caporegime
Indeed. I don't see how this is anywhere near as bad as other crimes that get fair lesser punishments.

No one got hurt, no one died, in fact, i don't even really know what has happened to make the 'victims' so upset. He watched a video repeat of something he saw live.

Perhaps the government should concentrate on real threats to society and real criminals rather thant taking up prison space with a man who video'd himself doing the dirty.

Man of Honour
I've got a novel idea: why don't all the males who have posted in this thread (which is almost everyone) try asking a few females how they would feel if they found out that an ex- had tapes of them having sex nicely recorded onto DVDs? Then post back with their responses.

M

Soldato
I've got a novel idea: why don't all the males who have posted in this thread (which is almost everyone) try asking a few females how they would feel if they found out that an ex- had tapes of them having sex nicely recorded onto DVDs? Then post back with their responses.

M

They'd all be disgusted. Whats your point?

The sentence doesn't match the crime.

Man of Honour

M

I asked my wife, her reply was similar to mine earlier, that it amounts to an ill judged choice of who to sleep with, rather than something that police should be involved in...

Soldato
Do you know what he planned to do with them at a later date. What if at a later date their kids, future husband or employers where effected by the videos?

you brought a beer.. you have a car... 1 + 1 = drink driver.. better get you into prison before you drink drive and kill someone ???

maybe prison every person who takes a pic of a partner as well jsut incase they at some time in the future decide to blackmail them??

Soldato
Until it gets to the higher courts, there's little point. There is a difference between arguing that his sentence is wrong under law and arguing that the law is wrong.

It all boils down to opinion, imo the law is right in yours its wrong. Am sure there are a loads of other laws in which our opinions would differ in that I think the law is wrong. Where as you would agree the law is correct.

I will never know what we did until the law that made this prosecution possible was introduced in 2003... I mean, how did we possibly manage before the government decided to take responsibility for it...

The world changed with the arrival of YouTube, Facebook and their likes, in which any footage can be placed online and view by million in a matter of hours. Its something that would not have happen 15 years ago, today its common place.

you brought a beer.. you have a car... 1 + 1 = drink driver.. better get you into prison before you drink drive and kill someone ???

maybe prison every person who takes a pic of a partner as well jsut incase they at some time in the future decide to blackmail them??

Stop taking rubbish.

Man of Honour
It all boils down to opinion, imo the law is right in yours its wrong. Am sure there are a loads of other laws in which our opinions would differ in that I think the law is wrong. Where as you would agree the law is correct.

The world changed with the arrival of YouTube, Facebook and their likes, in which any footage can be placed online and view by million in a matter of hours. Its something that would not have happen 15 years ago, today its common place.

While it does boil down to opinion, the problem comes when opinion is codified in legislation unnecessarily. Legislation should be minimalist in scope in a free society. While I'm fully aware that we are far from that (and moving further from it every day) I still feel it should be something to aim for, because a lack of restrictions doesn't damage rights nearly as much as excessive ones.

I'd also point out that I would fully support civil damages in the above case, I just oppose the idea that this should be a criminal matter. Civil law is more than adequate for dealing with youtube et al issues.

Soldato
Oh I didn't realise you knew them :p

I never said I did...

fap to them? :confused:

he clearly didn't want them to get out :p

Blackmail, to sale them or just to be a prat?

Why on earth?
Everyone has sex... lots of people record themselves - were human, it's what we do...
lol'd @ ruined life... seriously, get it in perspective

Very true but not every one wants it do it in public or have it display every time their ex partner wants to show their mates or fap over it. Its called privacy, its something that people go to a lot of trouble to protect. Some people couldn't careless about it others do, which is the whole point behind the law.

Soldato
While it does boil down to opinion, the problem comes when opinion is codified in legislation unnecessarily. Legislation should be minimalist in scope in a free society. While I'm fully aware that we are far from that (and moving further from it every day) I still feel it should be something to aim for, because a lack of restrictions doesn't damage rights nearly as much as excessive ones.

I'd also point out that I would fully support civil damages in the above case, I just oppose the idea that this should be a criminal matter. Civil law is more than adequate for dealing with youtube et al issues.

Minimalist in an ideal world which we don't live in and never will, to many prats in the world.

I can't stand civil courts they are a soft touch, pay a few pound and your of jack free.

Don

M

Great, now she's hunting around the place for hidden cameras :(

Associate
OP
what the guy did was not a sex crime since the act was consensual.
the recording was illegal, therefore a violation of privacy - but he did not subsequently blackmail her / upload to the web or gain at her expense in any way... so it's a minor violation of privacy -- ergo: sentence was harsh (maybe even illegal to condemn to SOR), victim overly sensitive, lawyer incompetent, judge mistaken, girlfriend disloyal...!

Back
Top Bottom