Bbq choice?

Caporegime
Looking for a bbq. Keep buying disposables. And just feels wasteful now.

Ideally I want it to be quick.
For example Cook time on disposable one is so fast. Once it's lit and gone down can be done within 20 mins. As there's only two of us it doesn't take long.

Ideallewould be great to be able to have them after work. Which means minimal faff.

So, can a charcoal ever be quick?
Does gas leave the bbq taste? (never had a gas)

Any recommendations?

Again, doesn't have to be big. There's only two of us!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I've got the Weber Kettle with a chimney starter. Pop the briquettes in, stuff some paper at the bottom with a starter, light it, twenty mins you are cooking with coals which are white hot.

Caporegime
OP
Ah got you, need to look for one with a chimney.
20-30 mins is fine.

Id much prefer charcoal, surely gas can't replicate the dirty smokey taste? Or can it?
Is it feasible for 2 people? I mean,does it get really expensive as you need too much coal?

Gas is a doddle. But I can't get my head round gas being as tasty?

Caporegime
OP
Be great to hear from people who have used both as to if the taste is very different?
Keep reading that gas tastes as good (at best) as charcoal.

Soldato
Ah got you, need to look for one with a chimney.
20-30 mins is fine.

Id much prefer charcoal, surely gas can't replicate the dirty smokey taste? Or can it?
Is it feasible for 2 people? I mean,does it get really expensive as you need too much coal?

Gas is a doddle. But I can't get my head round gas being as tasty?

Chinmey starter can be had online for ~£10 to go with any charcoal BBQ.

I much prefer charcoal over gas for the reasons you mentioned, using adjustable vents and even smoking chicken/ burgers for a short cooking time adds so much flavour, a small tray made from folded foiler with wood chippings can change that too.
The charcoal ash goes straight into the compost.

Tea Drinker
Don
Nice proper charcoal takes about ten minutes to get going enough to cook a burger or steak and can be started with the paper from the bag. Compressed briquettes and other similar rubbish takes a bit longer and usually needs some kind of fuel driven ignition which takes time to burn off.

Yes gas is more convenient and faster, that can't be argued, but it isn't the same.

Soldato
Be great to hear from people who have used both as to if the taste is very different?
Keep reading that gas tastes as good (at best) as charcoal.

Have a weber gas grill and a weber 57cm GBS kettle. Charcoal is better, hands down for flavour and the experience of cooking over coals. Gas is easy and convenient that is all.

Soldato
I got a gas a few years ago. Wouldn't go back to charcoal. It's just so much easier. The food is cooked just the same - and if you leave it a bit oily, gets just as much flame.

Soldato
A gas barbecue is just the same as the gas grill/ hob you may have in your kitchen except it's outside. It adds nothing to the barbecue experience IMHO.

Soldato
chimney starter for £6 at tesco - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/charcoal-chimney-starter-6-at-tesco-in-store-3471610

pure coincidence i spotted this on hot uk deals after reading this post

*** EDIT doesn't seem to be very well rated
I picked that one up at the start of lockdown. It's been alright for the two (household-only) bbqs I've done with it.

I had expected the charcoal to get a bit hotter in there, but it might be that using brickquettes that have been in my shed for two years are limiting me a bit :D

Soldato
Nice proper charcoal takes about ten minutes to get going enough to cook a burger or steak and can be started with the paper from the bag. Compressed briquettes and other similar rubbish takes a bit longer and usually needs some kind of fuel driven ignition which takes time to burn off.

Yes gas is more convenient and faster, that can't be argued, but it isn't the same.
Just got to dispell this, most briquettes these days are all natural, it's quite outdated calling them similar rubbish. If you use wax dipped shavings https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Ec...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== then there's no nasty 'fuel' to be got rid of. They take a little longer to light I'll give you that, but can easily be more economical especially if cooking for anything other than quite a short duration.

Caporegime
OP
A gas barbecue is just the same as the gas grill/ hob you may have in your kitchen except it's outside. It adds nothing to the barbecue experience IMHO.

This is what I thought.

Thanks guys. Seems consensus is charcoal.
I'll have a look around and at that weber one.

Really just want to cook a few burgers in the evening when it's nice. It's nice all the time at the moment!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom