Bbq choice?

Soldato
I've had a Weber 57cm for about 5 years. It was hand me down from my father in law. I leave it outside without a cover. I use it a lot during the warmer weather to avoid cooking in the kitchen. I had a look at a gas one last year as for the convenience it would be much better for me.

Tea Drinker
Don
Really just want to cook a few burgers in the evening when it's nice. It's nice all the time at the moment!

If it's just a few burgers then a Webber Go Anywhere would be good for you, I have one as well as a garden BBQ and it's great for the beach or as a top up to the main BBQ, well made and will last a lifetime.

Caporegime
OP
If it's just a few burgers then a Webber Go Anywhere would be good for you, I have one as well as a garden BBQ and it's great for the beach or as a top up to the main BBQ, well made and will last a lifetime.

When it's just us (99 percent of the time) probably do 4 burgers and a couple of (vegan) steaks for gf.

That's it, enough for next day and I'm full. Being portable would be awesome for camping!

Associate
As others have said use a chimney. It is very common to use one back home in Cyprus and was surprised that people in the UK weren't using them. It makes the whole lighting of the charcoal a 2 minute effort. Chuck charcoal in, put solid fuel underneath, light fuel, put chimney on top and start preparing your meats whilst the charcoal are getting ready. 20 minutes later tip them in, and get cooking. Only ever used charcoal; gas for me is a no-no.

Permabanned
This is what I thought.

Thanks guys. Seems consensus is charcoal.
I'll have a look around and at that weber one.

Really just want to cook a few burgers in the evening when it's nice. It's nice all the time at the moment!
That’s all I’ve been doing just a few Burgers, Steak, Corn and Fish for the misses. Earns plenty of brownie points but I still haven’t mastered keeping enough heat in the thing :rolleyes:.

My only gripe apart from the heat thing which is just experience, is it’s quite a pricy way to cook just for the 2 of us, although the flavour makes up for that.

I brought the 46cm Weber kettle when it was on offer early in the year, brought a chimney starter on amazon and few bits job done.

Caporegime
OP
That’s all I’ve been doing just a few Burgers, Steak, Corn and Fish for the misses. Earns plenty of brownie points but I still haven’t mastered keeping enough heat in the thing :rolleyes:.

My only gripe apart from the heat thing which is just experience, is it’s quite a pricy way to cook just for the 2 of us, although the flavour makes up for that.

I brought the 46cm Weber kettle when it was on offer early in the year, brought a chimney starter on amazon and few bits job done.

How much charcoal would you say you have to use? If its too expensive might have to rethink

Soldato
I have 4 BBQs and a gas burner.

2 Webber kettle BBQs one big one small.

1 portable charcoal one I'd only ever really use when camping.

Char broil x200 gas BBQ.

Then an outdoor gas burner you can put a wok on etc.

Dont knock gas BBQs, I always used to but I use it all the time, if your grilling anything off the bone, it's ideal, quick and easy.

Then I'd use the charcoal for larger joints.

Don't forget you can put smoke chips on a gas BBQ and still get some smoke penetration into your food.

Downside of gas BBQs is they are expensive, but they are cheaper to run once you've got past the initial outset.

Soldato
This is what I thought.

The person you are quoting is wrong, so don't con yourself into thinking gas can't be nice, and have a BBQ taste. As already mentioned you are cooking using an open flame directly on the the food which I predict a tiny fraction of people do indoors, and you are using the fat/juices from the food which ignites on the flames and gives the flavour (it's not all from the coals/wood).

If you don't use it often charcoal is cheaper, and the extra time is no issue. If you use it all the time and want to keep the longer term costs down then gas is a nice option, I still use coals/wood now and then but I save it for smaller amounts of food, which like you would be 2 people when I am normally cooking for 6+.

Currently have a lovely side of salmon on a wood plank in the gas grill for dinner this evening.... mmmm tasty. :)

Tea Drinker
Don
Gees.
That's expensive!
That's a bit more than I was hoping to spend given that it's more expensive than gas!

Just buy a Webber one touch, the rest is guff and features, a one touch used regularly left outside no cover will last minimum five years.

Our first one touch had timber handles and was used till it collapsed in a heap.

You can get a one touch for eighty quid out of season

Permabanned
How much charcoal would you say you have to use? If its too expensive might have to rethink
It’s hard to say really fella I’m on my second bag but have used it a fair bit since the lockdown. It’s certainly more expensive than the electric/gas oven for example but I’d rather cook on the bbq than the oven purely for the flavour.

Wrong time to be buying unfortunately I brought this one early in the year but I paid about £50 for it.

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories...uct/weber-compact-kettle-47cm/1221004~1221004.

Soldato
Just buy a Webber one touch, the rest is guff and features, a one touch used regularly left outside no cover will last minimum five years.

Our first one touch had timber handles and was used till it collapsed in a heap.

You can get a one touch for eighty quid out of season

My first Weber kettle BBQ is about 8 years old and still fine. It was the basic version, but I bought a BBQ thermometer on eBay for about £10 drilled a hole in the top and boom, now you have the premium version lol.

Soldato
A gas barbecue is just the same as the gas grill/ hob you may have in your kitchen except it's outside. It adds nothing to the barbecue experience IMHO.

Completely disagree, it's not even remotely similar to the hob in your kitchen. A gas barbecue means cooking on open flames (or usually with flavouriser bars or similar), meaning the fat/juices from the food are vapourising when hitting it. This adds more flavour to the food than anything else bar smoking. On this point if you are getting a significantly different taste between cooking on a charcoal or gas barbecue you're using one or both of them incorrectly. Some people just seem to associate the poorly cooked burnt taste of cooking over an ill prepared/controlled charcoal barbecue as the "barbecue taste".

The 2 I use the most are a Weber Kettle (charcoal) and Weber Genesis (gas). 95% of the time I use the Genesis because it's quicker, easier, more flexible and just as good at cooking.

Given the OPs requirements was a preference for speed and minimal faff gas meets the brief far better than charcoal.

Last edited:
Soldato
My first Weber kettle BBQ is about 8 years old and still fine. It was the basic version, but I bought a BBQ thermometer on eBay for about £10 drilled a hole in the top and boom, now you have the premium version lol.

They seem to last forever. Our Weber Kettle is 11 years old and still in great condition.

Soldato
Weber are a good option. Not cheap but cover it up in winter or put it in the garage or shed and it will last for many years. Lots of accessories too. I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain, for smoking, very good and well made. A Kadai barbecue, Indian rusty recycled thing but quite cool and a chimney starter is must. Weber briquettes for the smoker and I was using decent lumpwood charcoal for the BBQ but have now swapped to braai wood. My wife is South African so any time is braai time :p I'm quite liking using wood and in bulk about £1/kg.

As an aside not all charcoal is the same, try until you find one you like. Some are a real pain to get going but burn very hot and long. Others burn quickly but soon fade away.

Soldato
I was after a BBQ 4 years ago but wasn't prepared to pay Weber prices.
I ended up with an Outback Comet which looked identical to its Weber equivalent and I must say, 4 years on, it still looks just as good as it did when I first used it.

Charcoal wise, I like Supagrill.

Associate
I have a Dancook (7100 I think) that I'm really pleased with. It replaced a £9.99 kettle BBQ with 4 wobbly legs so was a fairly decent upgrade! That said, it works well, is easy to clean and is well built.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom