Bbq choice?

Soldato
Another +1 for a Weber & chimney starter, makes it almost as quick as gas, can also echo another poster that the weber briquettes seem to last longer than other brands I've tried - they feel a lot denser, and I can half fill the chimney starter and it lasts long enough to slow cook chicken legs for 45 minutes, whilst also grilling some burgers, halloumi, sweetcorn and other veg, and still have quite a bit of charcoal left in the bottom which is used to top up the next BBQ. With the cheapo supermarket stuff, I need to keep topping it up and a 5kg bag will last maybe 2 bbqs (while an 8kg weber one will last for 10+)

Whatever you do, make sure you go for something with a lid, (I.e. A kettle style), it gives you so much more versatility and you can actually cook things on it rather than charring the outside while the middle is still raw (I did the pigs in blankets & roasted veg for Christmas dinner on ours this year :p)

Associate
I have a webber 57cm Ketle and and Webber go Anywhere.

If i'm just cooking for the family (4 people) i bring out the small Go Anywhere BBQ, with just 13 briquettes I can cook comfortably for 2hours. Its big enough to have 4 burgers and a few saugages over the coals, whilst slow cooking some fish/veg indirectly on the other size. We also take it to the beach, camping, Park etc its by far our favourite BBQ and sound like it will fit your requirements with ease.

Soldato
We've got a Morso Forno and whilst top of the budget it's bloody brilliant, and we've used it more as an oven than a BBQ. Was a lifesaver on Christmas Day, did an entire beef brisket in it plus all the veg and pigs in blankets.

When we do a BBQ for a few people we usually start it as an oven, do some rosemary potatoes or something then take the lid off and add a few bits of charcoal to the remaining wood to do the BBQ off of.

Soldato
Barbecue experts may scoff but the Mrs and I have used this one for years and it's fine for just the 2 of us:

bl-313410-a.jpg

Can't type for toffee
Don
I've got the Weber Kettle with a chimney starter. Pop the briquettes in, stuff some paper at the bottom with a starter, light it, twenty mins you are cooking with coals which are white hot.

Aye a decent kettle is best imho, add a chimey starter and yer laughing.

My Weber 52/54 whichever it is has been sat outside for about 4 years now, theres a smidge of rust on the rivets that hold the valvey bits in place but other than that its seen it all, wind, rain, snow even the beast from the easy haha!

As for firelighters I normally pick up these, https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/wood-wool-firelighters-400g-321822
might be cheaper to buy in bulk but whenever I've used them I've only needed the one

Caporegime
I had this dilemma myself, ended up going for a Weber spirit 2 e310 for £600 all in, came with a Weber cover too.

So far used it 4 times and it’s superb, much easier to clean than charcoal plus I don’t like the taste of charcoal as it is. Easy to start cooking straight away rather than having to wait for the charcoal to heat up.

Bought myself the Weber igrill3 thermometer as well. Pretty neat that you can just set your temp or how you want your meats to be done...walk away and the app it connects you sends you an alert when it’s all done.

Soldato
Oh, turkey was done in the regular oven, sorry! Pretty much the only thing that was though to be fair.

To answer the other questions anyway, the beef was in for like 6 hours so during that period I didn't tend to it too much. The oven has a removable steel door so that just goes on and I stick a temp probe in the gap to keep an eye on it and top it up if it drops below ~120c (temp probe being right by the door will be a lot less than the middle). Usually one or two logs of wood an hour.

If the door's off or you want it hotter, up to 500c, then I usually put 1 log and 1 logburner thing on together as they last longer and generate more heat. The whole top can come off if you just want it as a BBQ or fire pit, or the BBQ grill thing can also go inside the oven for a mix, as below.

bas6Kmt.jpg
NO08kIZ.jpg
VrKLKyn.jpg

Not the best examples of food or cooking (I don't even know why we cooked veggie sausages?!) but first pics I found.

Like I said it's definitely expensive, more so than a BBQ, but it's really versatile, looks the business (we never cover it up because it's almost like a scuplture), and if you like cooking and entertaining outdoors then it's definitely worth it. Pretty much every time we entertain it goes from oven to BBQ to fire pit, all using the same space and wood/coals etc.

Associate
Aftet our last florida trip and for the first time trying a gas bbq was a monstrous char broil professional 6 burner I came home and converted.

Food is outstanding done on it, Can smoke things using chips not as good as our old dedicated smoker but does the job in a pinch.

Once everyone has finished eating its cooled and ready to clean in 30 minutes and cleaning is a breeze and ready for the next cook in 20 minutes cover on and im back enjoying the evening.

Associate
As a young, newly married man, almost 40 years ago now, I felt I needed a high end gas grill. So I spent over $1200 on one.

Was never happy with it. It did cook some things just fine, but you could never get a real char on a steak or anything else that required a char. Due to the lack of heat almost everything took longer to properly cook and resulted in dry food. Additionally there was no way to get the flavor you can from coals.

Bought a 22 inch Weber and a chimney and have never looked back. Does everything I ask it to. Shortly thereafter I discovered natural lump charcoal and use that about 90% of the time. It burns much hotter.... but does burn faster. I only use briquettes when I'm doing a long slow cook, and only because I won't have to add new coals as often.

Pro Tip: ( :D ) When the Mrs. is out with the girls and it's just you and you want a steak try this.

Remove the grill grate and place the chimney on the coal grate. Fill just 3/4s full and light. When coals are white place the grill grate on the chimney and put the steak directly over the chimney. Oh baby! It's like cooking over a jet engine! Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the steak and your personal preference. For 1.5 inch steak cooked rare/medium rare takes ~ 2 -2.5 min/side. YMMV.

Soldato
As a young, newly married man, almost 40 years ago now, I felt I needed a high end gas grill. So I spent over $1200 on one.

Was never happy with it. It did cook some things just fine, but you could never get a real char on a steak or anything else that required a char. Due to the lack of heat almost everything took longer to properly cook and resulted in dry food. Additionally there was no way to get the flavor you can from coals.

Bought a 22 inch Weber and a chimney and have never looked back. Does everything I ask it to. Shortly thereafter I discovered natural lump charcoal and use that about 90% of the time. It burns much hotter.... but does burn faster. I only use briquettes when I'm doing a long slow cook, and only because I won't have to add new coals as often.

Pro Tip: ( :D ) When the Mrs. is out with the girls and it's just you and you want a steak try this.

Remove the grill grate and place the chimney on the coal grate. Fill just 3/4s full and light. When coals are white place the grill grate on the chimney and put the steak directly over the chimney. Oh baby! It's like cooking over a jet engine! Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the steak and your personal preference. For 1.5 inch steak cooked rare/medium rare takes ~ 2 -2.5 min/side. YMMV.

Pretty much sums up what I have found. If we buy some really good steak, free range, grass fed longhorn it deserves cooking fast and hot. I need to get a small Weber for winter use.

Soldato
If I want a bbq up to speed quick, I’ll use the shop vac with the hose on the air out. Acts like forge forced air blower. Just use a lighter tab the away you go.. Now use low blower setting otherwise I may melt the bbq.

Caporegime
Great idea about putting the grill directly onto the chimney, I'm definitely trying that!

If I want a bbq up to speed quick, I’ll use the shop vac with the hose on the air out. Acts like forge forced air blower. Just use a lighter tab the away you go.. Now use low blower setting otherwise I may melt the bbq.
I've used my air duster for this :D.

Associate
Looking for a bbq. Keep buying disposables. And just feels wasteful now.

Ideally I want it to be quick.
For example Cook time on disposable one is so fast. Once it's lit and gone down can be done within 20 mins. As there's only two of us it doesn't take long.

Ideallewould be great to be able to have them after work. Which means minimal faff.

So, can a charcoal ever be quick?
Does gas leave the bbq taste? (never had a gas)

Any recommendations?

Again, doesn't have to be big. There's only two of us!

What did you go for in the end?

Caporegime
OP
What did you go for in the end?

I didn't in the end.
Looks like summer is over here! :D

Going to look at getting something in the winter when bit less demand.

Good ones are pricey and having some money troubles with corona, new house and gf suddenly on ssp.

When /if things recover ill probably go for charcoal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom