1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bbq choice?

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by 413x, 26 May 2020.

1. lookitsjonno

Mobster

Great thing about searing over the starter, once done you can chuck the briquettes back in the BBQ with the vents closed, and use them again 2/3 times for the same purpose.

Amazing flavour though from the char, there's something about cooking over afterburner plasma :D

2. BlueMerle

Hitman

"Afterburner plasma" .. I like that, may steal it from you. :D

3. 413x

Capodecina

After much faffing and the smell of bbq coming over the fence I think I might go for a gas.
    I think the main thing for me is there is mostly only going to be two of us. So coal is just going to be too much faff. I'll probably do it much more regularly if it's quicker too.

Unless coal isn't as slow as it seems.

4. Shadowness

Mobster

Get a coal Weber Touch Master.

We bought one not long ago, but used it a few times. Does exactly what I need it to, and very easy to set up and clean afterwards.

Don't get a gas! That's just like getting an outdoor kitchen!

5. dLockers

Mobster

Weber 57cm MasterTouch with GBS (for all the novelty accessories later on) and a chimney coal starter.

Don't get gas.

6. Semple

Sgarrista

Yeah nothing like a BBQ over hot coals. But i agree, with just the two of us, i find it a massive faff to set up and cook for just us two. So it only really gets used when we have people round.

7. dLockers

Mobster

Do you have a chimney? This was a game changer for me in terms of the faff. It lives in the BBQ alongside the coal, so total setup <5mins. Wait 20mins whilst it heats up (prep salad and what not) and then it all comes together great. Tidy up in the Master Touch is easy as well as it has a dust pan at the bottom.

8. 413x

Capodecina

Yeah this is the toss up I have.
    If I want to just cook a few burgers on a sunny evening after work I doubt I'll use a charcoal. Most people seem to say gas is quick. Charcoal is better but slower.

9. Shadowness

Mobster

Charcoal IS BBQ.

Gas is just the same as what's in the kitchen, but outside. Really don't get the point.

10. dLockers

Mobster

Its part of the theatre. It'll add 20mins to your day.

11. lookitsjonno

Mobster

Lighting a weber is about as hard as faffing with a gas canister.

Pour half a chimney starter of charcoal
    Light 2 lighter cubes underneith
    Wait for 10-15 mins until it's roaring hot
    Pour into BBQ
    Cook

It also requires no cleaning (other than emptying the ash tray every few weeks). I've not cleaned mine in over a year, just a quick brush down with some scrunched up tin foil after use and job done. With gas you end up with grease in all the little crevices which tends to smell of old cooking oil after a while.

12. bainbridge

Mobster

In the hotter months cooking outside is more comfortable than cooking indoors, but I cook on coals because it's manly and tastes better :)

13. Welshman

Gangster

There is zero faff with a gas canister..........i use both, coals and wood in the smoker, gas for the plancha grill

14. dLockers

Mobster

You haven't seen my shed :p

15. 413x

Capodecina

OK you ***** :D. I'm convinced. I'll go with coal. But I need one of them chimneys for sure.

Almost everyone says get coal.

16. RockLobster

Wise Guy

17. Screenbeat

Gangster

Damn! The Weber BBQ are expensive!!!! Gonna have to stick to fire Pitt cooking for now. Or use my crappy old gas bbq

18. BUDFORCE

Mobster

I don't agree charcoal is quick.

Not as quick as a gas BBQ, and having both I use the gas BBQ more often then charcoal.

Charcoal is more of a weekend thing, if I just want to grill some burgers or something I'll always use the gas one.

Yes you can get a charcoal one going quick, I don't bother with a chimney starter, I put firelighters under and douse it with white spirit or engine degreaser, gets it going real fast.

But why bother for something you are going to cook quickly, like a burger or chicken off the bone etc, anything like that just easier on gas.

Gas has limitations though, where as charcoal you can do anything a gas one can and lots of things a gas can't.

19. Hedge

Capodecina

You seen the Char-broil kettleman? That looks like a decent weber alternative.

20. Screenbeat

Gangster

Looks good, but wouldn't for long in my hands.