Be Quiet 500DX

Associate
At the moment I’ve got bottom and side as intakes and top and back as exhaust. Before I vertically mounted the gpu would sit around 65c on load on cpu (3700x) would be in the mid 50’s, vertical mount actually helped with airflow gpu now around 60-62c and cpu is 50-52c under load with the occasional ryzen spike up to 60c and then back down again. I’m waiting for a 5900x which should turn up any day now going to do some of my own testing and possibly swap the top fans for intake and see if that makes a difference to cpu temps. The setup I run currently is actually one that I also saw on a video that suggested it was the best way of running it. I guess realistically there’s no wrong way of doing it it’s just all down to personal preference. And I guess it also depends on how much fan noise you can put up with before it drives you mad I’ve got 11 be quiets in there! lol

Ive got a ryzen 9 3900x, a corsair 150i 360mm aio (with 3 x LL120 rgb on it), 4 x 16gb corsair vengeance rgb pro, 2 x pcie4 nvme, 6 other LL120 rgb corsairs, a bequiet 80mm silent wings and sadly as i couldnt find and sensibly priced replacements my 5 month old RTX 2070 super gpu in a vertical phanteks mount to cram in there over the next week or so.

This video from Chris shows some very good stats of his results which showed lowest temps running the bottom as input, aoi top as input and side as output.

I suspect this is because he had a normal mounted gpu card which is blocking most of the intake from the bottom and why he needed intake from the top to get decent cpu temps with a cold supply coming in through the top.

This second video shows the best temps when running bottom and side as intake and top as exhaust.

So some opposites there, but none are running vertical gpu mount, or an 80mm exhaust on the back (or 2 in your case), both of which would postively impact temps i think. It is worth mentioning that the rad would probably function better pulling cold air through so it cools the water inside with a cool supply of air, rather than pushing hotter case air through it (several videos also support this).

apologies for the thread hijack, I have built both my sons gaming pcs in the 500dx, a fine case, sooooo quiet (used bequiet cooler as well), only bits i didnt like was some average build quality in some places of the case and not a great deal of room - so i went for the lian li myself.

Associate
Ive got a ryzen 9 3900x, a corsair 150i 360mm aio (with 3 x LL120 rgb on it), 4 x 16gb corsair vengeance rgb pro, 2 x pcie4 nvme, 6 other LL120 rgb corsairs, a bequiet 80mm silent wings and sadly as i couldnt find and sensibly priced replacements my 5 month old RTX 2070 super gpu in a vertical phanteks mount to cram in there over the next week or so.

This video from Chris shows some very good stats of his results which showed lowest temps running the bottom as input, aoi top as input and side as output.

I suspect this is because he had a normal mounted gpu card which is blocking most of the intake from the bottom and why he needed intake from the top to get decent cpu temps with a cold supply coming in through the top.

This second video shows the best temps when running bottom and side as intake and top as exhaust.

So some opposites there, but none are running vertical gpu mount, or an 80mm exhaust on the back (or 2 in your case), both of which would postively impact temps i think. It is worth mentioning that the rad would probably function better pulling cold air through so it cools the water inside with a cool supply of air, rather than pushing hotter case air through it (several videos also support this).

apologies for the thread hijack, I have built both my sons gaming pcs in the 500dx, a fine case, sooooo quiet (used bequiet cooler as well), only bits i didnt like was some average build quality in some places of the case and not a great deal of room - so i went for the lian li myself.

Whoa you’ve got a fair bit more stuff inside than I do! Currently have 3700x MSI 2080 super 2 x 8gb team group 8 pack 3200mhz ram 2 sata ssd’s and a an nvme that I only put in today. I’m waiting for both a 3080 and a 5900x but no both are back ordered so it is what it is.

I’ve seen both of those videos before both have some very interesting results. I’m wondering if it’s worth me trying top aio as intake and then seeing if the 2 80mm exhausts are capable without me having to change any others to exhaust.

I definitely agree with you about having cool air being pulled through the radiator though, when I was in the 500dx the airflow through the rad went directly onto the gpu so both cpu and gpu benefited from it temperatures were on average 5-6c cooler than they are in the lian li but you kind of expect that from a case that has a glass front panel.

Associate
I'm planning my first build and this case looks wonderful! Has anyone tried its predecessor, the Be Quiet 500? It seems to be 50% cheaper, but unsure if it lacks multiple features

And what is this I read about extra fans? Is it important to add?

Associate
I'm planning my first build and this case looks wonderful! Has anyone tried its predecessor, the Be Quiet 500? It seems to be 50% cheaper, but unsure if it lacks multiple features

And what is this I read about extra fans? Is it important to add?

From what I can gather the 500 is exactly the same case internally you just gain a usb c, led and front mesh with the 500dx.

Yep extra fans is the way to go in these case’s you get very good temperatures with them.

Last edited:
Associate
From what I can gather the 500 is exactly the same case internally you just gain a usb c, led and front mesh with the 500dx.

Yep extra fans is the way to go in these case’s you get very good temperatures with them. I know of somebody who has a 500dx going spare if your in the market for one? Send me a pm if so!

Thanks but living in Ireland that probably now means import fees if I buy something from the UK :D

Definitely interested in hearing more about the fans, seems there's different sizes (140mm vs 120mm), quality, noise, etc, etc

Associate
Thanks but living in Ireland that probably now means import fees if I buy something from the UK :D

Definitely interested in hearing more about the fans, seems there's different sizes (140mm vs 120mm), quality, noise, etc, etc

Haha yeah I guess that might be a problem shame really!

Well to give you a bit of an idea I did have 2 140mm silent wings in the top and a 120mm silent wings in the back but I changed it out for another 140mm silent wings all running as exhaust and it was great 3700x was running 28c idle and 46c -50c load in games and always super quiet can run the fans up to 75-80% power and can barely hear them. Highly recommended case and fans even if you only get the 500 still both great cases. Just make sure you ALWAYS plug in the cpu cables first otherwise it’s a total pain to do then once the motherboard is in! Other than that very nice overall to build in

Associate
Will be my first build ever so my apologies but I got to ask... not sure what the above means? :D

Haha steep learning curve then! They are the cables you plug in to the motherboard that supply power to the cpu. Depending on the motherboard some take one 8 pin cable others take an 8 pin and a four pin and some are power hungry and take two 8 pin cables. They’re usually found in the top left corner of the motherboard but can also be found elsewhere

Associate
Haha steep learning curve then! They are the cables you plug in to the motherboard that supply power to the cpu. Depending on the motherboard some take one 8 pin cable others take an 8 pin and a four pin and some are power hungry and take two 8 pin cables. They’re usually found in the top left corner of the motherboard but can also be found elsewhere

Got it. So plug these to the motherboard before putting the motherboard in the case. Correct?

Associate
Got it. So plug these to the motherboard before putting the motherboard in the case. Correct?

If you can yeah it’ll save you a lot of swearing and pain later on, I routed the cables through the case plugged them in to the board and gently pulled the cables through from behind whilst easing the motherboard in to place, was a bit of a pain but better than trying to plug them in afterwards!

Associate
If you can yeah it’ll save you a lot of swearing and pain later on, I routed the cables through the case plugged them in to the board and gently pulled the cables through from behind whilst easing the motherboard in to place, was a bit of a pain but better than trying to plug them in afterwards!

Thanks, that made sense :)

Associate
Such a nice case that would work for ITX i think if they shrunk it down to 3 slots for PCIE given its already quite compact. Perhaps if shrunk the shroud for SFX or SFX-L PSUs as well it could be smaller too. Best BeQuiet case they've launched in a long time though.

Associate
Really nice case. Got one myself to do a new build, just waiting on the GPU. Got all the other bits I went for 3 x 120 silent wings 3 fans at the front and moved the 2 140 to the top. With a fan hub to run them all.

Back
Top Bottom