Be Quiet 500DX

Caporegime
I just bought 3x 140mm Silent Wings High Speed PWM fans for the case to replace the Pure Wings. The Pure Wins are a bit feeble i terms of airflow and static pressure, so the Silent Wing 3 High Speed will be a decent upgrade and can still stay quiet with good control.

I may reconfig to move one or two Pure Wings as top exhausts, but judging from the reviews I have seen (GN) I'm not sure if that actually provides any real benefit vs simply 2 in the front and 1 out the back.

I should be able to install them and give feedback by the coming weekend. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I just bought 3x 140mm Silent Wings High Speed PWM fans for the case to replace the Pure Wings. The Pure Wins are a bit feeble i terms of airflow and static pressure, so the Silent Wing 3 High Speed will be a decent upgrade and can still stay quiet with good control.

I may reconfig to move one or two Pure Wings as top exhausts, but judging from the reviews I have seen (GN) I'm not sure if that actually provides any real benefit vs simply 2 in the front and 1 out the back.

I have the stock pure wings 2 in my case, 2 at the front and 1 at the rear, they cooling my pc perfectly. I can't see no point in the upgrade to pure wings 3.

If I was going to upgrade mine I would go one further and get thermaltake toughfans

Caporegime
I have the stock pure wings 2 in my case, 2 at the front and 1 at the rear, they cooling my pc perfectly. I can't see no point in the upgrade to pure wings 3.

If I was going to upgrade mine I would go one further and get thermaltake toughfans
You need to read a little more clearly, I wrote Silent Wings 3 High Speed... not Pure Wings 3. They are higher airflow and higher static pressure so will improve cooling by a few degrees with hotter components like I will have. :)

Caporegime
Don’t think you can go as big as 280, think max is 240.
@the_chez It's max 240 in the top. The front can handle up to 360 though.

Hi guys I am looking at buying an Arctic Freezer II 280mm to put in my 500DX and I see that it won't fit at the top which is a bit annoying (although understandable).

Can I please ask if there are any disadvantages to mounting it at the front of the case vs at the top?

Caporegime
I've got the front and top fans as intakes on my 500DX, so it would be zero difference to the AIO whether mounted at the top or front in this config.

They go through every fan config for this case in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTDZpYkEonY
Thanks mate I appreciate the feedback. I had seen that video before but then last night I found this video from a very earnest and detailed young man where he really goes into insane detail in fan position combos and compares air vs AIO cooling. :)

Permabanned
Thanks mate I appreciate the feedback. I had seen that video before but then last night I found this video from a very earnest and detailed young man where he really goes into insane detail in fan position combos and compares air vs AIO cooling. :)

Only came across Chris's videos a few weeks ago and love his work. Also the video that you attached convinced me to go for 360 ALF2 instead of 280. And because of Gamers Nexus, the 280 one you barely find in stock.

Caporegime
Only came across Chris's videos a few weeks ago and love his work. Also the video that you attached convinced me to go for 360 ALF2 instead of 280. And because of Gamers Nexus, the 280 one you barely find in stock.
Yeah, his videos are really good and he deserves credit for them. I would love a 280 or 3600 AF II but I think there isn't much hope that I am fitting one in my 500DX with a long-ass RTX3090 in there too. I need to do some measuring this evening.

Permabanned
Yeah, his videos are really good and he deserves credit for them. I would love a 280 or 3600 AF II but I think there isn't much hope that I am fitting one in my 500DX with a long-ass RTX3090 in there too. I need to do some measuring this evening.

This guy said it was a very tight fit for a 3090. Check his 3090 model and compare it to yours, maybe it helps with measurements.

EDIT: can't share link from part picker

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys I am looking at buying an Arctic Freezer II 280mm to put in my 500DX and I see that it won't fit at the top which is a bit annoying (although understandable).

Can I please ask if there are any disadvantages to mounting it at the front of the case vs at the top?

The advantage, which is small is that the CPU cooler gets cool rather than warm air. The disadvantage is that the GPU then gets the air after warming by the rad which is not really that much.

I have a Freezer II 280 in the front of mine on a 3700x, and a 3080 GPU inside. It handles it all fine. I have two exhausts at the top and one at the rear, though the hot air exits via the rear fans and the front top one is cool.

Permabanned
Thank you for letting me know. I've settled on this case and pulled the trigger. Can't wait for it to arrive !

As an update, case arrived and managed to snag a Freezer II 360 from eBay. Love the case and it was an absolute dream to build in, perfect for what I wanted.

Freezer 360 is an absolute monster, no wonder it cools so damn well.

HrxbibT.jpg
HrxbibT.jpg

Caporegime
The advantage, which is small is that the CPU cooler gets cool rather than warm air. The disadvantage is that the GPU then gets the air after warming by the rad which is not really that much.

I have a Freezer II 280 in the front of mine on a 3700x, and a 3080 GPU inside. It handles it all fine. I have two exhausts at the top and one at the rear, though the hot air exits via the rear fans and the front top one is cool.
Thanks mate. In the end I went for a Noctua ND-D15 which is also a monster and seems to cool really well.

As an update, case arrived and managed to snag a Freezer II 360 from eBay. Love the case and it was an absolute dream to build in, perfect for what I wanted.

Freezer 360 is an absolute monster, no wonder it cools so damn well.
HrxbibT.jpg
Wow man impressive. How much total clearance is there from the end of your GPU to the rad can you please measure it for me? I am curious if it would fit my 3090 which is L=320mm W=129mm H=55 mm. :)

Associate
The 500DX is on my list together with the Phanteks P600s and possibly the Corsair 5000d airflow to take my 3090FE.
Ideally I would like a mesh case with support for front 200mm fans, does anyone know if the Phanteks P600s has support for this?

Associate
The 500DX is on my list together with the Phanteks P600s and possibly the Corsair 5000d airflow to take my 3090FE.
Ideally I would like a mesh case with support for front 200mm fans, does anyone know if the Phanteks P600s has support for this?
No, unfortunately it's 3 x 140mm at front

Associate
Did anyone manage to pair the DX with a 3090fe, any pics?
Edit,
I've ordered the Corsair 5000d airflow in white, should show off the 3090 nicely.

Last edited:
Associate

Did you notice the extra noise? Was it worth it?

Caporegime
Did you notice the extra noise? Was it worth it?
For me it was worth it. I have set the fan curves to my tastes and in normal use the PC is very quiet and then when the PC gets toasty during loads, the Silent Wings HS fans ramp up and keep it cooler than the Pure Wings could.

I am considering adding 1 or 2 of the pure wings to the top to ensure a steady release of hot air from the top. :)

Soldato
@SurfXombie

Nice. And do you think if the front fans were placed on the inside, that 3x140mm would physically fit? I think the inside gives you a bit more vertical headroom. Even if a different method of securing the fans would have to be employed.

Back
Top Bottom