Be Quiet Silent Loop 1

Associate
Hi all,

Ive got a be quiet silent loop (first edition) that I’ve had for 4 years and I’m seeing 99 degree temps in the last week or so. I don’t think it’s just because of the weather..

The temp will spike if left idle for an hour so or while gaming for an hour or so.

So I’m thinking it’s either:

1. Paste
2. Busted cpu
3. Busted cooler
4. Liquid needs refill.

hard to diagnose.. I don’t really have swappable parts.

I can’t see the paste being done for already?

the cpu was one of the delidded 8700k from ocuk.

The bios shows the pump is working. Or at least it tells me ha.

I definitely believe it’s 99 as it’s very hot to touch.

Can I refill with any old coolant? I assume I can.. I notice that the later models come with coolant to refill it, but mine didn’t.

i asked be quiet themselves but no response as yet.

Anything I’ve missed?

Soldato
You're on the right track. I'd suspect in this order:

Failed pump
Low coolant/non-ideal layout causing airlocks
Failed mount (or paste)

You've checked the pump - I presume you're seeing 1000+RPM here.

What layout do you have it in? Is the pump at the top of a run so it could trap air? I would try turning the PC on its side and generally tilting it to get things flowing. Listen out for sloshing or gurgling. This test will he especially useful while the CPU is very hot - if liquid isn't flowing, and starts, you should see it drop down towards ambient almost instantly.

Sometimes my custom loop's pump doesn't start on boot and when I notice 70°C on the CPU, I unplug and replug and it drops instantly as the coolant around the loop isn't warm at all.

If it isn't the pump placement or coolant levels then have a go at a remount, even if you use cheap paste/ not the best application to test with.

Also check the pump for vibrations, I had a SL for a bit and the pump made a quiet but consistent buzz.

Associate
I would guess that this is most likely a failure to pump the fluid around the system so it slowly heats up and up and up. It can be hard to see if fluid is moving in a closed loop, but change the pump speed and see if you can feel movement. Check for air as mentioned already. Manually tilt to see if manually moving the water lowers the temps.

Associate
You're on the right track. I'd suspect in this order:
What layout do you have it in? Is the pump at the top of a run so it could trap air? I would try turning the PC on its side and generally tilting it to get things flowing. Listen out for sloshing or gurgling. This test will he especially useful while the CPU is very hot - if liquid isn't flowing, and starts, you should see it drop down towards ambient almost instantly.

This, imo. 4 years of service is about the time I'd expect to see liquid levels drop. I've never heard of a cpu failing in that way and the same goes for paste. I would expect those type of deaths to be much slower.

Back
Top Bottom