Becoming Deputy... (Property & Affairs + Personal Welfare)

Associate
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
Hello all,

I am about to apply to become Deputy (Property & Affairs + Personal Welfare) for my Mum who had a severe Stroke in January. She is since unable to speak or communicate in any way and is not expected to improve significantly now, if at all.

She is in a care home for an assessment period and recently had to return to hospital due to breathing difficulty. It was decided during the two night stay that Mum should be issued with a Do Not Attempt Resuscitation order (DNAR). I was not asked or informed about this and first heard about it from the care home staff when Mum returned there. I was told that even if I disagree with the decision I could not necessarily change it.

I'm wondering now if there is any point in applying for the personal welfare element of Deputy if decisions are out of my hands anyway? Since the stroke happened the medical team have acted in what they believe to be my Mum's best interest and I doubt I would make any better judgement.

To apply for each part of Deputy costs £385 so £770 in total. Plus an assessment fee of £100 and yearly supervision fee of £320. If it needs a hearing that adds another £500. I would prefer to avoid any unnecessary costs where possible.

Does anyone have any advice or information please? I've had no luck getting through to Citizens Advice.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Soldato
Did she have a LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney) done before this all happened? I have just done one for a family member, but she is able to speak and think which allows me to use the cheaper system £162 for both applications. Unfortunately if an LPA wasnt done I believe you have to go down the deputy route, maybe worth getting an hour consultation with a solicitor. Its worth getting both as you have power to make decisions that you otherwise may not be able to make.

Here are some links that may help:
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org....son-you-want-to-help-has-lost-mental-capacity
https://www.gov.uk/become-deputy/fees

Associate
OP
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
Deputy is the only option I'm told due to there being no LPA. It was just a question of will having the Personal Welfare at this stage be of any use. My Mum is very ill and I think the fact the DNAR has been issued indicates that. I'm not sure what decisions I'm likely to have to make that a Doctor couldn't make in my Mum's best interest.

Thanks for those links.

Back
Top Bottom