1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been asked to go on "Tonight with Trevor McDonald" Re Gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loki, 3 Aug 2006.

1. Loki

Asus Rep

Got a really weird call on Monday night from someone claiming to be from ITV and Tonight with Trevor McDonald. At first I was like "Ok who put you upto it" But it transpires that its all true after I rang them back and checked out the researchers credentials.

The background to their story is that they want to explore who true it is about computer game addiction and how damaging excessive gaming can be. Especially things like MMORPGS. First half is to do with some clinic that has opened up in Denmark for internet and computer game addiction

So they want to come to a gaming event im organising in Sept to try and balance out the argument and dispel the myth that all gamers are geeky nerdy types who have no life. Get some perspective about gaming as a social event and actually speak to gamers to allow them to put their point of view accross.

Im a bit hesitant as I have known some other people who have been involved in simmialr programmes. When you see the uncut footage compared to the edited stuff it tells whole different story. So I am not sure they have an agenda to sensationalise it however they want it

So do you think its a good idea to let them attend ? What do people think about gaming in general and is it really as damaging as its potrayed. Or is it another social activity like when your grandad used to go down the pub with his mates to play darts etc.

2. Tru

Mobster

How much are they willing to pay?

3. Andelusion

Capodecina

Go on and say 'I'm an Oc..Oc...OcUCocker!'

4. AJUK

Man of Honour

The thing is
    :p

Pretty cool though, I wonder if you will get to meet Trev. :)

5. Morba

Caporegime

go for it Loki, you will do us gamers proud im sure :]

however, should you be aprehensive about it, it might be worth getting hold of someone like Sujoy or Ben from 4K, theres even zr0 or Astz who might be able to help you, all have done publicity stuff.
    i take it they are thinking of something like one of the iLans? that would just make them realise that gamers are nerds, especially if they sit with the CS lot or the nutters doing DDR!

Last edited: 3 Aug 2006
  6. Borris

Caporegime

The eternal optimist in me says that you'll be pilloried and lampooned, no doubt becoming a B3ta (or entire internet) meme, and lan gamers will be shown up as milk-smelling, pot-noodle fuelled, onanist malcontents.

The evil cynic in me thinks that you will pee yourself on primetime, and the world will bask in your shame.

7. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I go to, and enjoy LANs.

I can see no way whatsoever that a LAN filmed for television would show anything other than what on the surface appeared to be a bunch of geeks in dark clothing running around going OMG LOL.

8. Loki

Asus Rep

Apparently Sir Trev wont be there. Be good to get 5 mins to speak to him. Seems to have a world of experience with all the news he has broadcast.

Hmmm Payment you say. Never thought of that ;)

9. Plebo

Gangster

I remember a previous 'Tonight With Trever McDonald' about the subject of games leading to violence was sensationalist rubbish, so i'd avoid them myself.

I know its a different topic, but it did call into questions their ability to tell a balance story. I guess if you do it, be prepared to be made to look like an idiot!

10. Nix

Capodecina

I'd love to hear Trevor say "You dirty haxor" or "noob", it would amuse me to no end.

Personally Loki... stay well clear ;)

11. Loki

Asus Rep

Morba you have any contact details for those guys at all you could PM me with ?

The one im doing is like a 40 people jobby. Nowhere near iLAN Size

12. CircleFaust

Mobster

go for it, you'll be famous!

probably ;)

13. 4T5

Man of Honour

Can you imagine filming a Lan and showing it to the public.

OMGHAXXORLIKEWTFOMGPWNAGE etc etc etc.
    Loads of little teenagers running round screaming about lag and haxors.
    They would ban gaming before the show ended.

14. Morba

Caporegime

ill try and be on irc later tonight (prolly around 9pm onwards) #ut.slackers :]

15. The Running Man

Caporegime

isnt this like trying to dispel the myth of chav's and then going filming in a McDonalds Car Park at about 9pm on a friday night?

i think the problem is that the ones who are most likely to go to these events are likely to fit the exact stereotype they are looking for to re-inforce fears about computers, games, and the links to nerdiness!ss

16. Morba

Caporegime

how would that be trying to dispel the myth of chavs?
    going to a car enthusiast show like an owners club yearly meet would do that.

17. The Running Man

Caporegime

precisely?

18. Brizzles

Sgarrista

Go for it.

Anything that shows gaming in a different way to how some people percieve it can only be good.

Just , don't turn up dressed like a Ninja or in Camouflage !

Mark

19. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

20. jpmonkey69

Mobster

Lol...

Aimbot tbqfh.

:)