Been asked to go on "Tonight with Trevor McDonald" Re Gaming

Soldato
Plebo said:
I remember a previous 'Tonight With Trever McDonald' about the subject of games leading to violence was sensationalist rubbish, so i'd avoid them myself.
If Loki doesn't do it they will just find someone else, and that would probably end up making it look worse. I think you should do it. Insist that you get some input into what is edited so it looks like it really is not how they want it to look.

I noticed a news story called 'the rise of the cyber children' about young children using computers, and they make it sound as if its like young children doing voodoo or something and it has to be stamped out because its evil.

Soldato
To be honest I'd be a little wary of any ITN programme, especially if the ITN news is anything to go by. In my opinion they do tend to sensationalise the subject matter istead of trying to provide a balanced arguement for and against it, and I can't see gaming being any different

Personally I'd say no, but if you want your face on the telly then go for it

Associate
Nickg said:
i think the problem is that the ones who are most likely to go to these events are likely to fit the exact stereotype they are looking for to re-inforce fears about computers, games, and the links to nerdiness!ss

that gives me an idea, why not fix the lan? invite loads of people who are not what they would expect, i.e. not the nerds or geeks mentioned. invite lawyers, doctors, actors, people who have a suntan and go outside, that kind of person. that way if they interview them or overhear a conversation it won't be "omg haxor n00b" it wil be "yes i do believe the middle east situation will have a serious effect on my ISA return".

make it so they can't portray them as addicts and wierdos like they'll try to :D

nin9a

Man of Honour
Just a thought.

You are organising the event , and a TV program/crew are coming to film it ?

This give you a blank canvas to play with ;)

Contact the 40 people involved and explain whats happening and you can dictate dress style and peoples behaviour and spoof the program makers.

After it has aired , sell your story to Channel 4 .

You have the power.

Mark

I'm in for 15% of you profit :D

Soldato
Nickg said:
isnt this like trying to dispel the myth of chav's and then going filming in a McDonalds Car Park at about 9pm on a friday night?

i think the problem is that the ones who are most likely to go to these events are likely to fit the exact stereotype they are looking for to re-inforce fears about computers, games, and the links to nerdiness!ss
Exactly what i was thinking, they wont disspell the stereotype by going to a gaming event that is basically overrun with geeks ;)

The normal casual gamers just game a game the odd night etc

Soldato
As others have said if you've ever seen any of the "Tonight with Trevor MacDonald" programs there is no interest in putting across a balanced view of anything. They won't want to do a program that shows gamers as normal people, who is going to watch that? Think of the demographic of who actually watches his stuff.
They will take whatever you do and twist it so you look like a desperate fool who can't admit his addiction, or worse. If you don't do it someone else will, sure, but let that someone else be the fall guy.

Soldato
mrdbristol said:
Just a thought.

Contact the 40 people involved and explain whats happening and you can dictate dress style and peoples behaviour and spoof the program makers.
You have the power.

Mark

lol...

That'd be quality! :)

You need to get someone to lose it, in an FPS Doug style!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd tend to steer clear of something like this, I've heard of other hobbies which have been represented as being "sad" regardless of the good intentions of the interviewee.

If you do go ahead with it and they ask you any awkward questions like "don't you think it's odd for grown men to play computer games?" don't try to explain yourself, just tell em to **** off :D.

Associate
wordy said:
To be honest I'd be a little wary of any ITN programme, especially if the ITN news is anything to go by. In my opinion they do tend to sensationalise the subject matter istead of trying to provide a balanced arguement for and against it, and I can't see gaming being any different

Personally I'd say no, but if you want your face on the telly then go for it

They are desperate for ratings hence the sensationalist approach. I assume they will be interviewing people while there? /shudder

Soldato
mrdbristol said:
Just a thought.

You have the power.

Mark

This a superb idea, I really think you should do this Loki, it'd probably make quite good telly and Channel 4 would love a story like that.

Associate
Intresting post.

I'm currently undertaking research myself into various gaming activities including LANs and MMORPGS for a documentary I plan to do for one of my final year films at college. I've already been tracked down by BBC's Horizon who are also in the developing stages of a similar programme.

Horizon are usually pretty good for presenting a balanced and logical look at such a subject where I feel ITV's Tonight programme as many have said, will sensationalise the topic and no doubt look at a predicted "dystopian future" for the industry :rolleyes:

Soldato
Am I the only person who is now thinking sponsorship.... Your getting 5 mins of prime time ITV footage... you NEED some big OCuk banners!

I'd say do it, your pretty savvy and hopefully more PR friendly than a lot of gamers I could mention!

Caporegime
my grandma has issues with computers and thinks i am silly to watch the screen and play games etc, wheras watching TV is just fine :rolleyes:

so if they do make any pertinent questions probing the "legitamacy" of gaming as entertainment, just question them back, and point out that watching a box with zero interactivity with no level of involvement is practically the lowest form of brain teasing possible, and that interactive games which actually challenge your brain/skills/reactions is a lot more taxing and ultimately can be at least as entertaining as watching the gogglebox...

Back
Top Bottom