Been asked to go on "Tonight with Trevor McDonald" Re Gaming

Man of Honour
Further to earlier suggest.

For it to be of any commercial value , you would need to contact C4 ( or whoever ) before the event.

I would imagine the would want fly on the wall cameras etc. and they would have the technical resources to pull it off.

Go for it Loki , a win-win opportunity and you don't get many of them.

Cheers,

Mark

Man of Honour
Retorted said:
Horizon are usually pretty good for presenting a balanced and logical look at such a subject where I feel ITV's Tonight programme as many have said, will sensationalise the topic and no doubt look at a predicted "dystopian future" for the industry :rolleyes:

Hence the spoof idea.

ITV will have a predetermined view of the way the program will reflect gaming.

And nothing will change what they choose to show.

It's a way of showing how false their preconceptions are and how gullable people can be on a subject they have little or no knowledge of.

Cheers,

Mark

I must look up what a "dystopian future" actually means ? ;)

Permabanned
stay well clear unless you can invite the people that are going to be there or have some input into what is being edited into the final program (any hint of normality will be edited straight out). ask the guy who contacted you exactly what kind of footage they are expecting to get from this event and how they are going to portray gamers. in my opinion they just want footage to back up the program theme and it won't be good for gamers.

Soldato
I can see it now:

"And now on Tonight with me, Trevor McDonald"

*cut to lan shot*

"**** off u got ******* hax man **** you"

Would be quality viewing :D

Soldato
OH MY GOD, you have to go with the set up thing, I would love to see an FPS Doug kind of thing, some guy stands up smashes his keyboard on the floor shouting "OMG LAG YOU PIECE OF ****"

Then get him interviewed

Last edited:
Associate
mrdbristol said:
Further to earlier suggest.

For it to be of any commercial value , you would need to contact C4 ( or whoever ) before the event.

I would imagine the would want fly on the wall cameras etc. and they would have the technical resources to pull it off.
Mark

I would advise strongly against contacting C4 (or any other broadcaster) you might sell it to later as this would involve contracts that could seriously misfire on you...young man.
Programme makers take a very low view of people who spoof them and believe me, everyone knows everyone in TV AND what they're up to.

Instead just fix up a couple of small cameras to take a general point of view and perhaps a mic or two to take ambient sound.

Then goto C4 AFTER the event has taken place and show them a bit of footage you got together with your planned spoof you carried off.

Permabanned
You have to get Trev to quote Haxor or n00b, personally I would get him to say RAR Avec Dino and record it and put it in a mpg or a forum friendly gif.

Caporegime
Retorted said:
Intresting post.

I'm currently undertaking research myself into various gaming activities including LANs and MMORPGS for a documentary I plan to do for one of my final year films at college. I've already been tracked down by BBC's Horizon who are also in the developing stages of a similar programme.

Horizon are usually pretty good for presenting a balanced and logical look at such a subject where I feel ITV's Tonight programme as many have said, will sensationalise the topic and no doubt look at a predicted "dystopian future" for the industry :rolleyes:

It might be worth getting hold of Simon B, he did a few gamer docu things for 4K during his uni years, all the work was well received by the pro community. Not sure if hes still around or not tho

Caporegime
ITV no no no, not ITV, if it was for the BBC then maybe. ITV will just show the parts that will have some angry gamer shouting 'OMG WTF WALLHAXING N00B'.

If you do it,try and get Trevor McDonald to play, and get battered and make sure that its being filmed.

Man of Honour
fanger said:
I would advise strongly against contacting C4 (or any other broadcaster) you might sell it to later as this would involve contracts that could seriously misfire on you...young man.
Programme makers take a very low view of people who spoof them and believe me, everyone knows everyone in TV AND what they're up to.

Instead just fix up a couple of small cameras to take a general point of view and perhaps a mic or two to take ambient sound.

Then goto C4 AFTER the event has taken place and show them a bit of footage you got together with your planned spoof you carried off.

Better advice , than mine , from someone who seems to know something about the industry.

Still , you have to do it.

It would be rude not to.

Mark

( Still holding on for my percentage :D )

Soldato
OP
Wardie said:
Wait a second, why did they randomly just phone you?

They got my number off a LAN Party directory. Heres a copy of the email she sent to me basically giving the scope of the project

Hi,

We're currently producing an edition of Tonight with Trevor McDonald
regarding online gaming and its effect on people.

The half-hour long programme will be transmitted on ITV1 in September.

The film is pegged to the opening of the new video gaming addiction
centre opening in Amsterdam. What we're asking is if online gaming is
really a problem and actually needs treating.

The programme will include an interview with the organiser and
several pundits in the states who rightly or wrongly claim that online
gaming can become a problem. We are also talking to academics in the UK
who are more sceptical as to whether so-called video addiction actually
exists.

Whilst looking at the adverse affects of gaming and young people we are
also very keen to portray the subculture in general and film fully
functioning adults who happen to enjoy playing MMORPG's and online shooters

This is where you come in.

We would love to come and film at your LAN party on September the 2nd in
Manchester. We would not be with you all day and would aim to be as
unobtrusive as possible. There would be four of us; myself, our
reporter (not Trevor) a cameraman and a sound man. Our aim would be to
get some pictures of people playing games and get across the social
aspect of the hobby. We would also be keen to talk to several gamers
about their gaming habits. If anyone there on the day didn't want to
be involved and didn't want to speak us we'd ensure we didn't film them.

If you have questions then please get in touch.

Kind regards,

Soldato
OK... this sounds like fun :D

I wonder if FPS Doug would be interested in appearing on a show watched by millions.

I say go for it or you'll get some nutter like Kreeee portraying us ;)

Associate
mrdbristol said:
Better advice , than mine , from someone who seems to know something about the industry.

Still , you have to do it.

It would be rude not to.

Mark

( Still holding on for my percentage :D )

Absolutely - it's a great idea and you should definitely do it. Chances like that do not come up every day.

Loki - the email from them looks totally genuine (correct terminology, style, etc)

Just think SUBTLE - or they'll twig and the content will end up on the cutting room floor.

Associate
Morba said:
It might be worth getting hold of Simon B, he did a few gamer docu things for 4K during his uni years, all the work was well received by the pro community. Not sure if hes still around or not tho
Thanks for the info!

He doesn't seem to be on OCuk much. 4K = 4Kings?

I've had a little trawl through goog and managed to find an article on planetquake about his doc Modern Day Gamer2. I'd very much like to see this.

Edit: Just found a link to it and downloading now. Ta again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
" There would be four of us; myself, our
reporter (not Trevor) a cameraman and a sound man. "

HHhhmm... suspicion here.

This is Sir Trevor MacDonald we are talking about .

If i was researching something for Margaret Thatcher i would not call her Maggie.

Either way , Do it Loki

Mark

Caporegime
Retorted said:
Thanks for the info!

He doesn't seem to be on OCuk much. 4K = 4Kings?

I've had a little trawl through goog and managed to find an article on planetquake about his doc Modern Day Gamer2. I'd very much like to see this.

Edit: Just found a link to it and downloading now. Ta again.

Yeah 4Kings, you might be able to contact him through the 4K website, or, have a search for him on esreality.com i know hes got an login on there :]

Associate
mrdbristol said:
" There would be four of us; myself, our
reporter (not Trevor) a cameraman and a sound man. "

HHhhmm... suspicion here.

This is Sir Trevor MacDonald we are talking about .

If i was researching something for Margaret Thatcher i would not call her Maggie.

Either way , Do it Loki

Mark

Nope, people NEVER pull social rank in TV or Theatre, etc. It's concidered well unprofessional. Sir Trevor MacDonald will be Trevor to his collegues and co-workers.

Back
Top Bottom