Beers of the World 5 - Round A

Soldato
Hi everyone,

Rules: Beers of the World - Mk 5 *** RULES AND SIGNUP HERE ***

As its the first round and some people may have missed it, I'm extending the deadline to midnight tonight.

A- American - Beer must be brewed and canned/bottled in America.

Leaderboard
Charlie Bravo 6
Executive Beef 6
Lysander 6
Martynt74 6
Russinating 6
Weringo 6
Ahleckz 5
Bickaxe 5
Feek 5
Mike the Native 5
Repta 5
Sonea Fifer 5
Touch 5

Entries
Bickaxe - Peanut Butter Milk Stout
@Sonea Fifer - Longboard Island Lager
@Executive Beef- Florida Man
@weringo - DDH Mylar Bags
@MikeTheNative - Big Wave
@Martynt74 - Thick Haze
@Repta - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale – Draught Style
@Charlie Bravo - Softly Spoken Magic Spells
@Russinating - Fated Farmer: Chardonnay
@Feek - Aviation Gin
@touch - Sierra Nevada California IPA
@Lysander - Spencer Trappist Ale
@Ahleckz - Stranger Than Fiction

Barstool Fallers (they may just be late to the party)
@AiiR
@DireEmblem
@rubberduck

Next round: B - Belgium - Beer must be brewed and canned/bottled in Belgium (by Sat 8th May 12pm)
Bonus points - An extra 1pt is on offer to whomever enters the beer with the highest Untappd rating

Last edited:
Soldato
I drank mine tonight.

Well I had 4 of the 6 I bought....

These were an end of line special by the shop and as of today were around 2 weeks past their best before date. The owner was hugely complementary about it and said that whilst it’s 7% it’s hugely easy to drink and sessionable.

They had all aged differently it seems. The first tasted poor. For a “hazy ipa” it was very bitter and didn’t have much in the way of flavour. I didn’t fancy having another.

The second however tasted better. A really nice punchy tropical type flavour. The third was much the same and then the forth was pretty poor again!

Soldato
But disappointed the results have been delayed. This is my entry
D39-BF80-B-3-ACF-485-F-B98-C-24-CCD94-E6-FDB.jpg

Capodecina
Soldato
@weringo - DDH Mylar Bags

Is that Cloudwater? They do a DDH which is amazing.

Bonus points - An extra 1pt is on offer to whomever enters the beer with the highest Untappd rating

Hmm this is an interesting twist and may still end up as a six pointer since I imagine the highest-rated Untappd beer would also be very popular.

Still, I have a pretty good idea what my Belgian beer is going to be. Looking forward to seeing what others choose.

Here was mine from Friday night:

Oh, I don’t expect to get any points!

Is that a Churchill martini?

With regard to the Spencer, as a trappist ale, it's undoubtedly the poorest I've had. Tasted like a lemony IPA. Just weird. Not surprised though. The Belgians do it best.

Capodecina
Soldato
Here was my entry for round - pretty much a generic lager that had a sweet and crispy taste.

It was quite refreshing as a one off but nothing special, not one I'd buy again and certainly not one I'd recommend to others:

Yes, I've had their Big Wave after it was recommended by a friend. I found it really thin and uninteresting. Obviously one for the American palate.

The best widely-available beer I know from the US is from Flying Dog. They do some epic IPAs.

Soldato
Yes, I've had their Big Wave after it was recommended by a friend. I found it really thin and uninteresting. Obviously one for the American palate.

The best widely-available beer I know from the US is from Flying Dog. They do some epic IPAs.

Yeah, I've tried a few of those Flying Dog IPA's and indeed they are awesome :cool:

I've already got the next two weeks entries in - looking forward to seeing what others post and hopefully reading their thoughts on their entries . . . .

Picked up my entry for Germany and WOW it's amazing :D

Associate
Is that Cloudwater? They do a DDH which is amazing.

Mylar Bags is from Other Half in NY, the brewery that Cloudwater wish they were ;)

DDH just means Double Dry Hopped, which is a popular style for the Hazy IPAs.

Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas, surely? They're in pretty much every shop/supermarket. I honestly don't see Flying Dog that much anymore compared to 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I’ve just realised my Belgium one is rated at 3.4 which is very disappointing.
Can we change the rules to bonus point for the best name as I feel I’d win that!

I'm personally not going for that extra point since I feel the popularity/top Untappd rating points will cancel each other out.

Associate
Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas are gash though.

Ah sorry, didn't see the 'best' bit.

Unfortunately we don't get many of their good beers over here, having said that I prefer a regular Lagunitas IPA over Flying Dog IPAs, but I think it's mainly nostalgia.

The Fear from FD is the only one I go back to as I like a darker spiced beer.

Back
Top Bottom