1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beers of the World 5 - Round B

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Bickaxe, 9 May 2021.

1. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

Hi everyone,

Rules: Beers of the World - Mk 5 *** RULES AND SIGNUP HERE ***

B - Belgium - Beer must be brewed and canned/bottled in Belgium.

Leaderboard

Charlie Bravo 12
    Lysander 12
    Weringo 12
    Ahleckz 11
    Executive Beef 11
    Russinating 11
    Sonea Fifer 11
    Bickaxe 10
    Mike the Native 10
    Repta 10
    Martynt74 6
    Feek 5
    Touch 5

Entries

[​IMG]

Barstool Fallers

Touch

Next round: C - Chocolate - Must contain chocolate in the ingredients or have Chocolate in the name (by Sat 15th May 12pm)
    Bonus points - 1 extra point if your beer as the Lowest total check ins on Untappd (must be more than 100 though)

Sadly, Martynt74 may want to check where his beer comes from as Untappd tells me that it is not from Belgium. I will change this if you can prove it does.

Charlie Bravo got an extra point for entering the beer with the highest score. Westvleteren 12 scored 4.52 (138,878 check ins) so it must be good.
    Weringo only just missed out with his 3 Fonteinen Framboos Oogst 2019 at 4.48 (325 check ins).
    3rd was Mike the Native with his La Chouffe Blonde at 3.83 (284,898) check ins so quite a big gap.

Last edited: 9 May 2021
  2. Feek

Commissario

Here's my entry.

I don’t have any Belgian gin or rum so I went with Brecon for a few reasons.

1) It starts with B, so it’s appropriate for the letter.
    2) Brecon sort of rhymes with Belgium if you say it quickly and don’t think about it.
    3) There’s a company in Belgium called “Brecon” who are listed as being involved with the Distilled and blended liquors and Beer and Ale industries.
    4) There is no number 4)

[​IMG]

:cry:

3. Martynt74

Capodecina

Argh dammit. I read the back and saw country of origin Belgium but then reading slightly higher it says produced in Finland

I had so many to choose from too!

https://imgur.com/gallery/vTv5raZ

That’s my birthday ruined! :(

4. touch

Capodecina

Sorry for not submitting an entry everyone :(

This round was just a whole string of fails for me:
    I was looking at the Belgian beers when shopping in Asda, the common ones they have like Leffe, Duvel, etc. Then I got sucked down the rabbit hole of checking every single beer on the shelf to see which had the highest Untappd score. Erdinger was highest so I grabbed one of those. I laid it out when I got home with my note to take a photo and it was only at that point that I realised I had forgotten about the actual theme of the round and didn't choose a Belgian beer!
    That was fine because it was Thursday and I still had time to go into town on Saturday and get something suitable - failed to notice that the deadline was midday and not midnight on saturday.

To top it all off, I decided to drink the Erdinger anyway last night whilst I was wiring up some electrics for my campervan on the kitchen table, had stuff everywhere and not concentrating on the beer. At some point my girlfriend picked it up and poured it down the sink thinking she was tidying up the juice she left on the table from dinner time :(

5. Feek

Commissario

@Bickaxe Do you think you can list the individual scores given for the round please, just so we can see what points we get for the round as well as the total.

My round C is sorted.

6. Lysander

Capodecina

This was mine:

[​IMG]

7. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

Was it brewed and bottled in Belgium? Can't make it out on the label. Looks like a Belgian brewery but I can't see the whole label

8. Martynt74

Capodecina

No. Looks like it says produced in Finland but with an origin of Belgium so my own fault.

I’ve got some catching up to do!

9. Repta

Mobster

My entry for this week:

[​IMG]

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

I should’ve gone with my Bruges Zot just to screw you!

11. Ahleckz

Capodecina

This is my one. I was expecting something kinda sour, but it’s so so sweet. Wasn’t for me, gave it to the girlfriend and she seemed to enjoy it but it was strange!

[​IMG]

12. Ahleckz

Capodecina

Ah, lucky! I almost bought that!

13. Executive Beef

Gangster

[​IMG]
    Mine was beautiful. Straight from the fridge, really crisp and sharp tasting. Proper sunny day beer.

(I promise to get better at taking photos of beer)

14. Charlie Bravo

Mobster

My entry...

[​IMG]

I found a selection of Westvleteren beers in a shop when I was last in Bruges. They were on the floor in a wooden crate with a sheet of A4 paper on them listing the prices, but as they're not supposed to be sold in shops, they weren't overly cheap and were almost being kept undercover as such.
    I wouldn't say it's anything special but we all have different tastes.

15. touch

Capodecina

I had a quick search for one of those for my entry. There's usually a couple on ebay but they often go for silly prices. As you say, the only place you can officially buy them is at the brewery.
    I've been there many years ago. At one point it was often referred to as "the best beer in the world". Myself, brother and dad ordered a pint of each of the 3 beers they do and we tried them all. I think I preferred the lighter one but I remember them all being very good beers.

16. Sonea Fifer

Soldato

This was my entry for round B - I haven't opened it yet so I'm unable to provide any comments on taste etc:

[​IMG]

17. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

Sorry forgot to post a picture, will do it at lunch.
    @Lysander I bought that beer last week lol
    Already had submitted La Chouffe so didn't take a photo of it.

18. Lysander

Capodecina

Yeah, it was a bit of a risk posting a Duvel, but I thought I'd go for it anyway.

My other choice was going to be a Leffe 9. I thought it was more likely that I would get an extra point for less common twists on common varieties rather than Belgian Beer X.

19. MikeTheNative

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

Really liked La Chouffe, I'm a fan of the strong Belgian beers and this one didn't disappoint. 9/10

20. Martynt74

Capodecina

Here's mine, was a little disappointing both from a taste perspective and also since it was disallowed!

[​IMG]