Beers of the World 5 - Round B

Capodecina
Soldato
My Duvel 6.66 was very meh. Much prefer their normal variety. I wouldn't recommend it if you like their standard stuff. In fact, I don't even like their Tripel Hop - which is weird, since it's won lots of awards and I would expect that they would make a great one, but nope.

I have my C lined up for this Friday. I may not get a sixth point for it since I think it's relatively common, but I did really enjoy it. I may buy it again.

Soldato
OP
So few check ins means it is likely to get a bonus point as none of my friends would have had it.

Sounds like a new beer or something very exclusive sold only at one place, a brewery one off perhaps.

Soldato
OP
The friend bonus is every week.
An extra bonus is also available and that will change each week. I have 10 different categories so far and as it's random, no idea what will come up. Hopefully it won't be strongest beer for the No Alcohol round.

Soldato
Proper lazy this week, sorry guys. I'm not a fan of Belgian beer anyway and I was so busy I ran out of time... and all my local bottle shops open at 12 on Saturdays! Obviously paired with Nat King Cole (don't worry, I've got my Christmas albums for H...).

qQSzaOE.jpg

Associate
Last night I had a Westmill Trappist Duballe. A 7% really rich silky smooth dark beer. And followed it up with the standard Duvall. Different types of beer but I think the Trappist to be clearly superior and it's available in Waitrose. Sorry about the lack of photo evidence

Associate
My Duvel 6.66 was very meh. Much prefer their normal variety. I wouldn't recommend it if you like their standard stuff. In fact, I don't even like their Tripel Hop - which is weird, since it's won lots of awards and I would expect that they would make a great one, but nope.

Is Tripple Hop the same as the Citra? I definitely prefer that to the standard

Soldato
Westmalle Dubbel is a fantastic beer and real treat to have had readily available in Waitrose. I'd also suggest checking out the below which are similar Belgian dark ale styles:

Chimay Red
Chimay Blue
Trappist Rochefort 6
Trappist Rochefort 8
Trappist Rochefort 10
St Bernardus abt 12

Not in supermarkets but readily available in the UK otherwise

Soldato
Westmalle Dubbel is a fantastic beer and real treat to have had readily available in Waitrose. I'd also suggest checking out the below which are similar Belgian dark ale styles:

Chimay Red
Chimay Blue
Trappist Rochefort 6
Trappist Rochefort 8
Trappist Rochefort 10
St Bernardus abt 12

For those lucky enough to live in the North West. I’m sure Booths supermarket stock a fair few of those.

Capodecina
Soldato

Chimay Red
Chimay Blue
Trappist Rochefort 6
Trappist Rochefort 8
Trappist Rochefort 10
St Bernardus abt 12

Chimay Blue was my first 'proper' Belgian beer.

Rochefort is always epic. My wife caned a Rochefort 8 in five mins one night, got exceedingly drunk very quickly and then fell asleep.

Back
Top Bottom