Beers of the World - Mk 5 *** RULES AND SIGNUP HERE ***

Soldato
Should we share our Untappd usernames for this?

I only want @Bickaxe's so i can stalk his friends beer check-ins :p

Also @Ahleckz For shame on you not being into Untapped. I always assumed you were into Vivino so would be all over this too. You're missing out on the panic and distress of being out without your phone and having an amazing beer and being unable to log it with the app. I once persuaded the barman to take the picture and email it to me (i'm sad).

Also going to tag a few people from the other beer thread in La Cuisine as i know this comp used to be based in there and people may not venture here :)

@Rotty
@R-evans
@~Divine~Wind~
@Shadowness
@turbot1984

If i can be bothered, i may also hunt out an old BOTW thread and tag those :)

Soldato
OP
I've tidied up the rules a little as I forgot to add the over 18 yrs old one. Not that anyone under 18 drinks proper beer but it should have been in there.

To avoid confusing me in my usual drunken state, especially on a Sunday morning when I'm working out scores, if anyone changes their username either deliberately or by self inflicting it, there will be consequences.

Soldato
Also @Ahleckz For shame on you not being into Untapped. I always assumed you were into Vivino so would be all over this too. You're missing out on the panic and distress of being out without your phone and having an amazing beer and being unable to log it with the app. I once persuaded the barman to take the picture and email it to me (i'm sad).

Also going to tag a few people from the other beer thread in La Cuisine as i know this comp used to be based in there and people may not venture here :)

If i can be bothered, i may also hunt out an old BOTW thread and tag those :)

I just never really bothered keeping track to be honest. I generally try different things rather than the same stuff and not that fussed about keeping records. Plus, my beer knowledge is much better than my wine knowledge so I generally know what I’ll like.

Soldato
So is the main way to "win" this to post a beer which qualifies for a category but which no-one else has posted?

Pretty much. It was harder in the past as it took a lot to hunt out something special or that met the criteria. I think the more entrants will be key as general beer availability is so much better now than ~8 years ago.

Also @Bickaxe i've noticed you're not on the entry list. In the past i know Dirtyjester used to participate and was trusted enough not to open emails until he had his beer. I'm happy you doing the same :)

Soldato
OP
So is the main way to "win" this to post a beer which qualifies for a category but which no-one else has posted?

Yep. Its not as easy as it sounds as some categories are quite restrictive. As Martynt74 says, there is much more choice now.

As some beers are seasonal, you could order the whole lot now and submit everything, but others may do the same and you are limited by what the website has in stock. Or, do it each week and take your chances with whats at the pub or supermarket and then panic once you can't find anything which I found made things much harder (and more fun).

Permabanned
I think the incredible amount of beers out there these days, makes this just a case of ordering something really obscure for each category and winning. I would like to see an element of strategy i.e. risk/reward associated with the beer selection.

Something like you score points for each unique beer you select with the points being based on the number of ratings for that beer on ratebeer.com etc. Going with something popular carries the risk that someone else might do the same (high risk of scoring 0 points) but high reward if you do get it right. Need to make the choice of beer more strategic rather than just selecting something obscure and ordering it online etc.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much. It was harder in the past as it took a lot to hunt out something special or that met the criteria. I think the more entrants will be key as general beer availability is so much better now than ~8 years ago.

Also @Bickaxe i've noticed you're not on the entry list. In the past i know Dirtyjester used to participate and was trusted enough not to open emails until he had his beer. I'm happy you doing the same :)

I thought about it but I have the advantage of knowing what most of my friends drink. If something is on at the pub, there is a good chance I will get a lot of extra points over the course of it and that seemed unfair.
I'm could give a list in advance to @Feek and award a bonus point if anyone else picks the same.

I'll be guided by a general consensus, I really enjoyed taking part before.

Soldato
True, or just remove that scoring option. It's a good novelty, but i'd take you being able to participate over bonus points.

I think the incredible amount of beers out there these days, makes this just a case of ordering something really obscure for each category and winning. I would like to see an element of strategy i.e. risk/reward associated with the beer selection.

Something like you score points for each unique beer you select with the points being based on the number of ratings for that beer on ratebeer.com etc. Going with something popular carries the risk that someone else might do the same (high risk of scoring 0 points) but high reward if you do get it right. Need to make the choice of beer more strategic rather than just selecting something obscure and ordering it online etc.

It's still not guaranteed. Especially as some of the criteria are limited. I used to scour local beer shops for the most obscure entries and still not always get max points. Obviously some are easier than others (Porter for example), but the more specific categories are trickier.

I also remember the embarrassment of asking for pen and paper in pubs as i scribble BOTW and the date and username on a napkin and stand next to the beer pump in a busy bar taking a photo (Worse for my wife who'd just walk away from me at that point) :D

Soldato
I'll be up for giving this a go. I don't have any decent local beer shops so with current covid situation first few may not be too interesting. I'm assuming that you can't use the same beer for different weeks?
With the must contain 'chocolate' for example in the ingredients, would we have to take a photo of the bottle with that on?

Soldato
OP
True, or just remove that scoring option. It's a good novelty, but i'd take you being able to participate over bonus points.

Ok, I'm in

I also remember the embarrassment of asking for pen and paper in pubs as i scribble BOTW and the date and username on a napkin and stand next to the beer pump in a busy bar taking a photo (Worse for my wife who'd just walk away from me at that point) :D

This is why I always took my piece of paper with me, especially for beer festivals (never found anything as nothing had labels).

I would like to make it more strategy based but also everything needs to be accessible as some people may be restricted to supermarkets only. Finding that balance is tricky.
I like the adding ratings as a score, maybe this only counts if a beer has over 1000 check ins. Would add an element of randomness and should eliminate the chances of a tie at the top.

I'll be up for giving this a go. I don't have any decent local beer shops so with current covid situation first few may not be too interesting. I'm assuming that you can't use the same beer for different weeks?
With the must contain 'chocolate' for example in the ingredients, would we have to take a photo of the bottle with that on?

You can enter the same beer for different weeks if you like, just make sure its in a different email.
I would need to see a pic of the label and the ingredients. If you reference the brewers website thats more work for me which I won't be happy with (I'll amend the rules to make this clear).

Back
Top Bottom