Beggars in the UK

Soldato
People seem to conflate homeless people and beggars. While some homeless people do beg plenty of beggars aren't homeless.

True, when i'm thinking of beggars i'm thinking of homeless people. There is 100% a difference. People whom you literally see on the street with their sleeping bag in a hallway in the evening.

Soldato
sorry to jump down your throat. :*(

No it's fine. I get peoples points.

That it's hard to distinguish between who is real and who isn't.... That's what is so sad about the current situation facing people who are truly down on their luck. They get lumped with scum that are, like people have said pro beggars or part of criminal gangs etc.

That's why I think really best course of action is if you feel sorry for some homeless guy just give money to a homeless charity. They will put it to the most efficient use at trying to get these people off the streets/break their addictions and try help them into a job.

Soldato
OP
I dont really see any homeless people or beggars in my area but every time I go out of town I see a lot, more each time, in busy areas, its been going on for a few years now and recently it seam to be getting worse . Ive seen it in other countries but I don't really see a reason why it should be happening in the UK.

Like CREATIVE11 said That it's hard to distinguish between who is real and who isn't.... That's what is so sad about the current situation facing people who are truly down on their luck. They get lumped with scum that are, like people have said pro beggars or part of criminal gangs etc.

At the same time im a little selfish and dont want to see people in the streets begging, harassing or otherwise.

I just wanted to see what others think, what its for you and your area.

I dont know why more is not being done to tackle the issue by the Gov and police.

If its homeless people they should be helped with all needs to keep them off the streets and if its scammers or gangs they should be delt with in the same as any scammer or drug dealer.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are a couple here in Rochdale who have been here for a long time. One of them sits in the town centre with polish and shoe brushes and won’t accept any money without giving you a shoe shine.

The other is the typical “spare some change” guy with a Starbucks cup.

Manchester is a different beast though. Il see 20/30 when walking from Victoria to Piccadilly

Soldato
Buy them all a cheap laptop, get them on youtube and move the begging into the digital era with the millenials.

Should go contactless :p

What's the range on those cards? Walk past = profit? :D

I don't give any money to homeless / beggars as you never know who's genuine. Charities will be able to assess their situation and do some actual good

Soldato
I came here to post about Manc. Was there for work on Monday and there were absolutely tons of them everywhere. Went back to Piccadilly via the Alan Turing monument and there were loads camped out in the park there enjoying the sunshine. There are always a few where I live but not on the scale of what I saw there.

They are obviously waiting for their guaranteed £20k jobs.

Manchester City Centre is rife with homeless/beggars. Every single homeless person in Manchester could have a job earning £20k on Monday if they wanted, however most of them will never change

Soldato
At worst never give them cash. Drop them a chocolate bar or a sandwich or a can of cola. Giving money just encourages them to buy alcohol or drugs.

Why give the parasites anything at all?

I bought a homeless guy a pie and a coffee before, cheeky bugger bit into the pie and binned it and started swearing at me because it was a steak pie and not vegetarian. Ungrateful knob didn't even bother to offer it to his scrawny looking dog before binning it either. Didn't bother to film it though. With hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had.

Sod 'em!

Soldato
Can't get out the car in the car park in my town centre without some Eastern European scrote fake begging they hang around the pay and display machines as well. They've been followed back to their council house on numerous occasions. The system is being gamed to hell and back and we can't say anything about due to lefty lynch mobs. Makes me sick.

No one I know goes into the town centre because of it and shops are closing down at rate of knots.

Cultural enrichment indeed.

Caporegime
Buy them all a cheap laptop, get them on youtube and move the begging into the digital era with the millenials.

Ah like those gofundme websites or whatever.

"I didn't want to stump up £100.00 for home insurance for my £2k TV and other possessions which have just been destroyed in a flood, can i has your moneys please?"

Associate
There are some unfortunate souls who will sit next to an ATM near my office. Sorry but camping next to an ATM, just no - too many scammers and cash is likely to feed a habit...

Many generous passers by purchase hot drinks, food, Pizza, Sandwiches etc for homeless. It's even to the extent that food gets left when they move onto another patch? I do struggle to comprehend and makes you think - cash is the priority. I do get annoyed that empty packages, uneaten food is left behind when there is a bin nearby? Christ, if I fell on serious hard times - I would have some modicum of dignity?

Don't get me started about Peeing/defacating (especially against historic sites of interest) in a public area, it really winds me up. To be fair, homeless are not 100% responsible (weekend drunks) can be just as bad.

Associate
Starting to see a lot of clean beggars round by us. If you go past early enough you see them being dropped off in cars/vans. Also if you catch them at the right time you see the day shift handing over to the night shift. Proper little business enterprise going on.

Soldato
Newcastle (the real one) is the worst for beggars. Just walking from Haymarket Bus Station down to Central Station you can be approached by no less than a dozen beggars asking for money. That's not including the ones sitting down on street corners and door ways.

If I gave money to all of them I'd end up on the streets begging also.

Soldato
Saw a good one at the bus stop today :)

Beggar to Woman: "Excuse me, can you please spare abit of......."
Woman to Beggar: "...MOVE!!!!"

Beggar walks off hanging his head :D

Associate
In London every tube station is a mecca for beggars and the one near me I've seen the same people for the past 4 years begging. The other day i started work later and saw one of these guys walked out of a house worth £500,000+ and resume his position. Now I'm not saying there aren't some desperate people about especially seeing so many companies cutting jobs but cmon!!

Back
Top Bottom