Beginner Mistake Stock Thermal Paste

HHC

HHC

Associate
While mounting the heat sink onto the cpu I stuck my finger right in the middle of the pre applied thermal paste circle leaving a nice fingerprint in the middle. I went ahead and mounted the heat sink as I haven’t bought any thermal paste yet. I know the stock thermal pastes aren’t great and I’d be better off replacing it but I’m a beginner and it took me a while to mount on the cpu so I left it. Will the heat sink still cool the cpu or does everything need taking apart and reapplying? It’s the stock heat sink that comes with the ryzen 1600. Thanks.

Soldato
Potential problem is if your print trapped air in the seat. Then the as air heats/expands and cools/contracts it will progressively push TIM out and CPU will run higher temps. But that usually does not happen. Just keep an eye on CPU temps and if they start rising get some TIM to do it right.

Associate
The bigger problem is the stock heatsink! I really wouldn't worry about it unless you want to change the heatsink. The money you spend on replacing the compound would be far better put towards a better heatsink.

Associate
If it works it's fine.

Could it work better? Sure - but that'd mean replacing your stock heatsink.

Enjoy your working system - you've not damaged it.

HHC

HHC

Associate
OP
Is there a standard temperature range I should be expecting from the ryzen 1600 or does it depend on the mb and gpu I’m using? Anyone know what it is?

HHC

HHC

Associate
OP
System isn’t running yet. Bought almost everything in November, put it all together, it’s been sitting in a corner since waiting for some ram.

HHC

HHC

Associate
OP
No idea if all the parts work or connected the cables up correctly. It’s gone way past the 30 days I get for returns. Seeing as I haven’t used anything yet, when I eventually turn it on, should something not function correctly what options do I have regarding a replacement?

Soldato
Is there a standard temperature range I should be expecting from the ryzen 1600 or does it depend on the mb and gpu I’m using? Anyone know what it is?
CPU temp is not a given. It is effected bymany things including room temp, airflow temp into cooler and what cooler is being used. Ryzen 1600 is rated 95w TDP so with a mid-level cooler I would expect temps below 60c at full load, but that is assuming you have good case airflow so air temp going into cooler is less than 5c above room temp. Normal idle temp will be lower than while booting through Dos or when system is working hard.

Last edited:

HHC

HHC

Associate
OP
CPU temp is not a given. It is effected bymany things including room temp, airflow temp into cooler and what cooler is being used. Ryzen 1600 is rated 95w TDP so with a mid-level cooler I would expect temps below 60c at full load, but that is assuming you have good case airflow so air temp going into cooler is less than 5c above room temp. Normal idle temp will be lower than while booting through Dos or when system is working hard.

Should I experience any overheating would I be notified with a system message or auto power off etc?

Soldato
No warning message normally, It will slow down and eventually turn off if it gets too hot (about 100c).

There's plenty of free little apps you can run to check what the temperature actually is in real time, core temp is one.

Last edited:
Soldato
What mattyfez said. Some motherboards have load and temperature monitoring apps. AMD Ryzen Master is free and monitors temp and load as well as much more.

Back
Top Bottom